1 piece or 2 ? (AMC 20) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1 piece or 2 ? (AMC 20)

Brakeline Closeout Deal! Kevlar Lined Stainless Steel BraiRecently added to our closeout section and priced to go faWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 05-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
herb812
1983 CJ7 

1 piece or 2 ? (AMC 20)

Since axle seal is leaking. I've been told to change from 2 to 1 piece axle's (running a stock 304). Are the 1 piece that much stronger ? Also, where can I find ring/ pinion backlash specs and manual.

herb812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
holliewood61
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yes they are that much stronger. Backlash is 0.006"-0.010". You can find a fsm on ebay or there are downloadable versions online
81 CJ7 very little stock
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 02:17 AM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

They are stronger but as with all things Jeep, you should question whether it is "necessary" or just received wisdom and whether your epensive hobby could use that money on something else.

2 piece axle shafts can happily last 30 years behind a 304. The problem comes when for some reason the torque on the Axle Nut starts to slacken and the parts start to move and fret, sudden failure often resulting. This can be brought on by big tyres (37" plus) which put a a lot of leverage on the flange. If you have 2 piece axle shafts which are fine, do you have to replace them for the axle seal? Is it the seal which has worn out or something more dramatic that requires new axle shafts?

If I was having to replace the 2 peice axle shafts, say because one had spun its flange, I would strongly consider single piece axle shafts. I didn't last time due to cost and delivery times.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

If the two piece axles are damaged, I'd definitely go with one piece replacements. Otherwise, what Bagus said.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

I've owned my '83 since 2006 with no axle problems.

I'm more concerned about the AMC 20 unit itself and plan to weld and brace the tubes.

If and when I have issues with the axles I'll definitely upgrade to one-piece units.
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
ctorj
1977 CJ7 

Bagus is correct I just last year replaced my 2 piece because of seals and bearings were shot. They never spun with 31 inch tires with over 200K miles on them. About half if not more where mostly on forest service roads. They also spent about 5K miles behind a turned up cummins 4bt and 33s. When I replaced them it was only 30 bucks more for moser one piece axles (they were on sale).

So you cant go wrong with 2 piece axles unless you don't torque them down fully. Yes one piece axles are worth the money if they are not much more. The piece of mind is very nice.
Unread 05-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
herb812
1983 CJ7 

Going to stick with 2 piece (for now). And replace seals. Thanks
herb812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Be sure to get the 250+ ft/lbs of torque on the axle nut when reassembling or you will be buying 1 piece axles sooner than later.
Unread 05-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail
Be sure to get the 250+ ft/lbs of torque on the axle nut when reassembling or you will be buying 1 piece axles sooner than later.
And I might add, when tightening the nut, make sure you have the tire on. I made the mistake of fabricating a tool to hold the axle flange from turning during the nut tightening procedure and bent my flange. Had to replace with a new one and made sure the tire was on as spelled out in the FSM.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.