Trailrated? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-01-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
EmmaR

Trailrated?

Hi,

Future first-time jeep owner here :-)

I'm thinking of buying the Renegade since it seems like exactly the kind of car I would like to own - being able to go both off road for adventures and on road for daily life. However, I'm not sure whether or not to pay the extra money for the trailrated Trailhawk...

How much 'extra' off road capability does it add compared to the other Renegade models? My fear (if you can call it that) is to buy a Jeep and find it more to be a city-Jeep...

Any Renegade owners here with an opinion on this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-01-2017, 10:09 PM
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaR
Hi, Future first-time jeep owner here :-) I'm thinking of buying the Renegade since it seems like exactly the kind of car I would like to own - being able to go both off road for adventures and on road for daily life. However, I'm not sure whether or not to pay the extra money for the trailrated Trailhawk... How much 'extra' off road capability does it add compared to the other Renegade models? My fear (if you can call it that) is to buy a Jeep and find it more to be a city-Jeep... Any Renegade owners here with an opinion on this?
Working at a dealer, I would personally buy the trailhawk version no matter what just because IMO it looks better and more aggressive. It has different front and rear bumper fascias that are not as low as all the other trim levels and look more aggressive. Plus I like the the tow hooks and cosmetic aspects. Another thing that's nice specific to the trailhawk trim is you get lockers in the front and rear...ultimately it's up to you but you get a little more with the Renegade Trailhawk
post #3 of 10 Old 01-02-2017, 11:14 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

From what i have read there are NO lockers in the Difs. Just the Tcase can be set to 50/50 or like the Part time 4x4s,. It uses traction control as what i call the poor mans lockers. That fails when the one wheels off the ground and the other is faces a ledge/boulder.

But real dif lockers like E-lockers or ARB, nope. I do not even see any after market option, though i did not search to long. No clue what difs they tossed in these but i would say it is not a D30/d44 or better .

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-02-2017, 12:53 PM
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc
From what i have read there are NO lockers in the Difs. Just the Tcase can be set to 50/50 or like the Part time 4x4s,. It uses traction control as what i call the poor mans lockers. That fails when the one wheels off the ground and the other is faces a ledge/boulder. But real dif lockers like E-lockers or ARB, nope. I do not even see any after market option, though i did not search to long. No clue what difs they tossed in these but i would say it is not a D30/d44 or better .
I'm sorry, you're correct. I meant to say 4 LOW, when I was typing this I was thinking of the Cherokee trailhawk's 4WD dial...the regular renegade doesn't have 4 LOW just 4WD lock.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-04-2017, 09:57 AM
vlackattack
1997 ZJ 

Honestly, if I were thinking about getting a Renegade, I would only get a Trailhawk, even if the most offroading I planned on doing was dirt roads. I just don't like the look of the non-Trailhawk ones. Same with the new Cherokees.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-04-2017, 10:27 AM
DuncsJeeps

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
The skid plates alone would be enough for me to get the TH if I was going to do anything off pavement.

Not a lot of clearance to work with, and assuming they are anything like the skid plates on the KL, they work well.

2017 WK2 Trailhawk - 3.6L: Daily Driver

: OME HD, RRO UCA, T/A KO2, Rack w/LED, Custom storage drawers, Winch, Front and Rear Bumpers - In Progress

: Sold

- RRO Sliders, 27 MPG: Sold

|
post #7 of 10 Old 01-04-2017, 02:36 PM
zaitcev
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncsJeeps View Post
The skid plates alone would be enough for me to get the TH if I was going to do anything off pavement.
I'm not a big fan of the ZF 9sp, or the Tigershark for that matter. So I was considering if I should get a Sport then swap in the factory springs/shocks and the skid plates from Trailhawk. The total drive ratio is a bit worse, but may be enough with C635. With optional final drive 4.438 it comes out to 1:18.435.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-05-2017, 10:12 AM
DuncsJeeps

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
I'm sure you could. Though I'd be afraid of the total cost.

I have the ZF 9sp in my KL. I haven't had any problems with it.

Also, I may be wrong, but if you get a Sport, you wouldn't get low range. Assuming that's something you would ever use.

2017 WK2 Trailhawk - 3.6L: Daily Driver

: OME HD, RRO UCA, T/A KO2, Rack w/LED, Custom storage drawers, Winch, Front and Rear Bumpers - In Progress

: Sold

- RRO Sliders, 27 MPG: Sold

|
post #9 of 10 Old 01-11-2017, 03:16 PM
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

having owned a trail rated patriot, I would say get the trailhawk if you ever plan on taking off road. Period.

yes you can add skid plates, tow hooks, and the like to other flavors, but there is a lot of cost and work in that. but you'll miss out on the other things that come with the trail hawk. The FDII patriot's came with a huge MPG penalty for the trail rated option, but the renegade trailhawks do not. Plus, if you take a sport and add just a couple of options, you're within shouting distance of a trailhawk, and the trailhawk will hold its value better than a sport. so its money better invested.

89 Cherokee

post #10 of 10 Old 01-20-2017, 10:06 PM
zaitcev
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncsJeeps View Post
Also, I may be wrong, but if you get a Sport, you wouldn't get low range. Assuming that's something you would ever use.
Unlike KL, BU does not have the PTU. So, the "crawl" on Trailhawk is made by using the lowest gear in the 9sp, and that's it. The overall setup is similar to MK in that way.

What's curious, unlike most common CUVs, the BU does have a space to mount the PTU between the main diff and the transmission, but in that place there's just a housing with a shaft. Either it was deleted late in the design, or the other world markets get it, or FIAT did it on purpose, to make sure that the engine-transmission interface can extend past the centerline of the car. The FIAT 500X has exactly the same drivetrain, BTW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.