Radiator cooling fan fun time... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-06-2017, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Bernard_Roofus

Radiator cooling fan fun time...

Driving home Monday, decided to stop for something to eat. While waiting in the drive through I noticed smoke coming out from under the hood. I pulled over to a parking spot only and popped the hood. Turns out the radiator cooling fan is not turning, but it is smoking like a chimney. No worries, I have towing and an extended bumper to bumper warranty.
Quick to back to the motherland and wait for the Jeep magicians to tell me when it is all fixed up. Sadly it is not the case. Yes it needs a radiator cooling fan, yes it is covered under warranty, yes there are 3800 units on back order with no estimated delivery date! Wait, what? My less than two year old 40k mile Renegade can not be fixed because there is not a replacement per available. So the dealer proceeds to inform me that I can get. A rental for five days that is covered by the warranty, however they have another Renegade that has been sitting since the 28th of July (over a month) with the same issue, and no part available.
So naturally I call Chrysler to see what help they can offer in extending the loaner/rental until the pet becomes available. The answer to that question is simple, nothing.. 48 minutes on the phone for "I understand and I am sorry". Now what? Here is the solution for now until a good replacement part comes available.

Test drive and sit and idle went perfectly. Today will be the true test, I will keep you all updated. But so far, $66 dollars, and I am driving my Jeep again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-14-2017, 08:48 AM
mhoughton

So my sons Jeep Renegade has been sitting there since 8-6, they have no updates and stated I will hear back from them on 10-8 with an update. Where and how did you get this fixed, I am fed up and they are offering no solutions, just keep reiterating the problem.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-15-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Bernard_Roofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoughton View Post
So my sons Jeep Renegade has been sitting there since 8-6, they have no updates and stated I will hear back from them on 10-8 with an update. Where and how did you get this fixed, I am fed up and they are offering no solutions, just keep reiterating the problem.

I fixed it myself in the driveway. It really wasn't difficult. The hardest part was getting the old fan out, you have to support the engine and remove the passenger side motor mount. The fan I used is a generic 14" fan from Autozone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 Old 10-07-2017, 08:22 PM
countlaszlo

I just had this happen on my 2015 Renegade as well. They told me that I am #975 out of 6,000 nationally. Shouldn't this part be on a recall? How many have to fail to get a recall issued?
post #5 of 5 Old 10-12-2017, 03:21 PM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Recall isn't going to do you any good if the parts are unavailable.

My guess is they are switching suppliers or they have the original supplier attempting to ramp up for the additional, unplanned needs. You know that they are not going to take production stock away from the factory. Sucks for anyone who has a bad fan.

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KO2's P305/65R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.