N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! - Page 324 - JeepForum.com

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4846 of 4866 Old 01-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Perkinsv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander2007AB View Post
By the way, does anyone know if in the transfer case are more electronic sensors/modules excepts the FCAM? E.g. how to measure if the clutch pack in the NVG245 is bad?
Were you able to figure out how to measure the wear & tear on the clutches?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4847 of 4866 Old 01-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Commander2007AB
2007 XK Commander 

Not yet. But as far as I know till now there is no other electronics inside. I'll do like KIWICANADIAN1 told as far as the weather is a bit warmer. Disassemble the TCAM and clean up the parts as recommended. I'll keep you in touch.

The measure for the clutches might be done "virtually", as of the FDCM calculates an MTBF between the times of open/close cycles of the clutch pack (finally done by the TCAM).

That do you think? Possible?
KIWICANADIAN1 likes this.
post #4848 of 4866 Old 02-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Jambalam

Dealer Suggestions in Colorado?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMOC View Post
Troy123...Thanks for posting details about removing the fuse...I'll give this a try next time I get the "SERVICE 4WD SERVICE" message.

Mine is still working (just a few days) after having the dealership clear the codes. I know it's just a matter of time before I lose 4LO again. I talked to a Chrysler customer service rep that opened a case for me. He wants me to go back to the dealership and have them run diagnostics. The dealership will charge me $125 to run diagnostics unless it can be proven that N23 was the cause. I don't expect my dealer to be very helpful, the service advisor there has already told me that my actuator voltage is probably not staying within the new voltage tolerances and I will be responsible for paying for a new actuator if that's the cause. My actuator is fine, just won't meet the new voltage tolerance of N23 every time. Even it it's not a permanent fix, I'm glad some of you have found dealers out there that are at least willing to help get the actuator replaced for free. I'm still debating what to do...probably won't waste my time at the dealer and keep trying to spread the word.
I am going through this whole process now. Has anyone had a good experience at a shop/dealership in Colorado (Denver if possible) that is familiar with this issue and wont give me the ring around? Please send me their info if so.

Also, since the thread has been open a long time now... how are everyone's Jeeps holding up? any fun new issues youve had to deal with?

Thanks!

2007 Grand Cherokee Limited CRD, Denver,CO. Member since Jan. 2017.

post #4849 of 4866 Old 02-10-2017, 10:57 PM
badtheba
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambalam View Post
I am going through this whole process now. Has anyone had a good experience at a shop/dealership in Colorado (Denver if possible) that is familiar with this issue and wont give me the ring around? Please send me their info if so.

Also, since the thread has been open a long time now... how are everyone's Jeeps holding up? any fun new issues youve had to deal with?

Thanks!
Ours is holding up fine, except it's in the shop for driveline repairs now. At 150k the front driveshaft wore out on both ends, and the mechanic and I have had a heck of a time tracking down an affordable part.

However the N23 recall repair mentioned here was successful on the second attempt (after the updated service bulletin) at the dealer, cost me nothing in the end, and the problem has not come back. Original actuator AFAIK, we are at least the 3rd owner.
post #4850 of 4866 Old 02-11-2017, 07:11 AM
6Commander
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkinsv1 View Post
I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 78,000 miles. N23 was done in 2013 and I have been unable to engage 4-WD low since but it wasn't a big deal because I don't see much snow (I live in the Carolinas).

I took it in to get P73 done January of 2016. I was able to shift into 4-WD low that day but haven't been able to do so again. Since then my "service 4-WD" indicator light has been popping up with greater and greater frequency (pretty much every other time I turn on the car). Starting in September of 2016, my car started to shift into 4-WD low when I turn at very low speeds (i.e. parking) without me prompting it to do so. It randomly does this multiple times a week.

I took it to the dealership and codes C1438 and C140F were both active. One dealership recommended I replace just the transfer case motor for $700. Another dealership said I need to replace the entire transfer case for $3000 because the clutches are worn and they can't take it apart.

I started a customer case with Chrysler in September but my representative hasn't returned my calls in weeks. I also have an open Star case but everyone keeps sending me in circles. My car is now sitting at the dealership after completely cutting out on me last week so I'm hoping for any suggestions you all have. Do I need to replace just the motor or do I have to replace the entire transfer case? Help, please!
I was quoted $950 to rebuild the clutch pak at a reputable Jeep dealer. But I've just decided to live with a service light and no 4lo and just continue to enjoy my XK as is. It is still a great vehicle. I am actually surprised this is still an active issue though.

2006 Trail Rated XK, 2" RC Lift, 4.7L V8, 265/70/17 Goodyear Wranglers On Painted Stock Rims.
post #4851 of 4866 Old 02-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Commander2007AB
2007 XK Commander 

Yes, the issue is still open and the manufacturer does nothing even know about it. For myself it is ok to ride on with my Commander and yes, it is a great car at all, but w/o 4low it is just an "half" car. And as you get stuck in the middle of nowhere the 4low may save your life.

So I'm going to try everything to get rid of the problem, the last way will be to spend my money getting a new transfer case.
post #4852 of 4866 Old 02-11-2017, 02:47 PM
6Commander
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander2007AB View Post
Yes, the issue is still open and the manufacturer does nothing even know about it. For myself it is ok to ride on with my Commander and yes, it is a great car at all, but w/o 4low it is just an "half" car. And as you get stuck in the middle of nowhere the 4low may save your life.

So I'm going to try everything to get rid of the problem, the last way will be to spend my money getting a new transfer case.
God speed brother. I fought the good fight back in the early days. But the local dealer is way below average in every catagory. My belief is you need a good caring dealer to get anywhere. Good luck to all still in it.

2006 Trail Rated XK, 2" RC Lift, 4.7L V8, 265/70/17 Goodyear Wranglers On Painted Stock Rims.
post #4853 of 4866 Old 02-13-2017, 07:52 AM
badtheba
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Commander View Post
God speed brother. I fought the good fight back in the early days. But the local dealer is way below average in every catagory. My belief is you need a good caring dealer to get anywhere. Good luck to all still in it.
100% right. Ours has been fine since I demanded the proper fix, on N23, but I never took it back for the P73 since I haven't had any issue. But the dealer was the problem in my case, not the manufacturer.
post #4854 of 4866 Old 02-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Commander2007AB
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtheba View Post
100% right. Ours has been fine since I demanded the proper fix, on N23, but I never took it back for the P73 since I haven't had any issue. But the dealer was the problem in my case, not the manufacturer.

It seems to be the same issue in several places - the authorized dealer, who may know how such updates have to be done, in lots of cases is not aware what the exact procedure is. I've made the experience that they installed the N23 and they won't me together to see how and if the procedure is done correctly. Anyhow, I go ahead to figure out what's wrong with it. Let's look forward.

--Andre
post #4855 of 4866 Old 02-16-2017, 11:45 PM
casa47

In France we have also the same problems continuation has N23 and P73, but the Club/forum Chrysler 300C has Starscan and Witech product what makes it possible to give the good parameters and not to have problems with the actioner 4 low/neutral . the problem, like you, it is the exact procedure not observed by the JEEP dealer. But sometimes it are necessary to change the actuator. (Sorry for my poor english ...)
post #4856 of 4866 Old 02-21-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

It is I again, the poor fool who started this whole fiasco.

I am happy to report that after having the P73 update, 4-low seems to have returned.

Mind you, this is after giving up about two years ago when they changed the actuator and that didn't fix things.

I have successfully been running for two months since having the P73 revision performed, and I test weekly.

A special thanks to John Zubek and Zubek Motors, who went to bat for me and made sure I had ZERO out of pocket expenses, as well as everyone here on Jeep Forum that pursued various avenues, brought potential solutions in, and generally made life hell for Fiat Chrysler trying to get them to address this issue.

I suspect that if such a fuss wasn't made by (and in front of) their most loyal customers, this would have been ignored.

Thank you all.
Commander2007AB likes this.

2006 XK 4.7 Limited

1995 XJ 4.0 Sport
post #4857 of 4866 Old 02-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Commander2007AB
2007 XK Commander 

Congratulations!
post #4858 of 4866 Old 02-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Commander2007AB
2007 XK Commander 

Seems that you the lucky guy who's got that issue fixed. I am still in process investigating all directions possible.

Great to hear this positive news.
post #4859 of 4866 Old 02-23-2017, 05:23 AM
DerekSch
2008 WK 

I had the N23 originally done in August, 2013 which started a long ordeal, in July, 2014 after two dealers in two states, new shift motor and control module it was back to normal. Then in September, 2015 I had the P73 done, in less than a month, no 4 lo again. Back again, another shift motor and it was fixed. Aside from the inconvenience and overall pain in the butt this was all covered. At first I would check the four lo once a week or so but after a bit I got lazy. Then, a couple of weeks ago, the service 4WD light came back. Before I went back though, somewhere else in this string it was mentioned to disconnect the battery and do a reset. This worked and its been fine ever since, fingers crossed.

One thing to those that would chose to not have one or both of the recalls done. If you go to sell, an open recall will come up in any VIN check, (car fax or similar).
post #4860 of 4866 Old 02-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Jambalam

Good luck to all!
I dropped off my new-to-me 07' CRD at the dealership to have my transfer case motor replaced today. Unfortunatley its at the AutoNation Toyota dealership where i bought her for service as the AutoNation Jeep dealership across the street didnt want to cover it (but did diagnose). I wasn't able to verify for myself but upon initial inspection mechanics said its failing due to corrosion inside.

Not sure if that should make me happy its not a N23 recall issue or worried how the corrosion started to begin with...lol

anywho, good luck to all! Ill update my 4X4 Service light status when I can.

2007 Grand Cherokee Limited CRD, Denver,CO. Member since Jan. 2017.

Tags
error , recall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.