Dangerous gas tank recall - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-28-2015, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Tman96

Dangerous gas tank recall

So Chrysler is offering on jeeps with the "exposed gas tank" to trade them in for above market value. Does anybody know a ballpark price and if you have to trade towards a Chrysler made vehicle, or can you trade towards a non Chrysler used vehicle. I have a 2003 grand Cherokee Laredo and have been looking to get something fuel efficient because I'll be commuting a ways everyday to college. I love my jeep but I won't have the gas money to keep its thirst quenched plus if I can get more than what it's worth that's a great parting gift.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-28-2015, 10:51 AM
JMZ101586
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman96
So Chrysler is offering on jeeps with the "exposed gas tank" to trade them in for above market value. Does anybody know a ballpark price and if you have to trade towards a Chrysler made vehicle, or can you trade towards a non Chrysler used vehicle. I have a 2003 grand Cherokee Laredo and have been looking to get something fuel efficient because I'll be commuting a ways everyday to college. I love my jeep but I won't have the gas money to keep its thirst quenched plus if I can get more than what it's worth that's a great parting gift.
Haven't read the recall have you... Zj get above trade in. Wj gets $100 bucks towards a fix.

Stable:
04 WJ Special Edition 4.7
98 Camaro SLP SS with LS2 swap
05 STS4 4.6 Northstar AWD
post #3 of 11 Old 07-28-2015, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Tman96

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMZ101586
Haven't read the recall have you... Zj get above trade in. Wj gets $100 bucks towards a fix.
Ah. Well that sucks. And how can they "fix" that give you a giant bumper?

post #4 of 11 Old 07-28-2015, 01:25 PM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman96 View Post
Ah. Well that sucks. And how can they "fix" that give you a giant bumper?
Easy, they just move the fuel tank to the passenger side footwell
post #5 of 11 Old 07-29-2015, 10:01 AM
atomant1
2013 JK Wrangler 

I haven't seen anything specific on what jeeps are impacted, is there something out there yet?
post #6 of 11 Old 07-29-2015, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Tman96

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomant1
I haven't seen anything specific on what jeeps are impacted, is there something out there yet?
I can't find anything directly from Chrysler but quite a few sites say 92-98 grand cherokees and 02-07 libertys.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-09-2017, 11:50 AM
ZEEJAY98
1998 ZJ 

1993-1998 jeep grand Cherokee there is a safety recall for certain 1993 through 1998 model year Jeep® Grand Cherokee vehicles.

FCA US LLC (“FCA US”) urges you to schedule your service appointment to have the recall remedy completed.
The fuel tank on your vehicle has a chance of experiencing a fuel leak during certain types of rear end collisions. Fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source can result in a fire.
In an effort to remedy this condition and to satisfy our requirements under a Consent Order with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, FCA US offers you one of the following options:
1. FCA US will inspect your vehicle and install an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) trailer hitch where appropriate, free of charge (parts and labor) to better manage crash forces in low-speed impacts. For your inconvenience, we will provide you with a $100 unrestricted Visa® prepaid card.

If your vehicle already has an original factory installed FCA US OEM trailer hitch, the area surrounding the hitch will be inspected for damage.

If your vehicle has an aftermarket trailer hitch, the trailer hitch and the surrounding area will be inspected for any evidence of sharp edges or other puncture risks. If any such evidence is identified, the aftermarket hitch will be removed and a FCA US OEM trailer hitch will be installed free of charge, provided the condition of the vehicle can support proper removal of the existing hitch and installation of a FCA US OEM trailer hitch.

If it is determined that the condition of your vehicle does not allow the installation of a FCA US OEM trailer hitch or replacement mounting bolts, your vehicle will be returned and you will be advised what, if any, repairs are needed before the installation can be performed.

The work will take about four hours to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on service schedules.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-29-2017, 04:39 PM
6-gun
2007 KJ Liberty 

My 07 Liberty dropped a ball joint and while it was in the dealership
being repaired they went ahead "after my permission," and installed a factory
Hitch Receive. I looked it up and it cost 310.00 if i had to buy it, not counting
labor, and they done it because of my exposed gas tank, and the factory recall.

My first Jeep, an 07 Jeep Liberty sport, to keep me warm and dry in the winter,
post #9 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 09:15 PM
ZEEJAY98
1998 ZJ 

I finally got some time off and had my new hitch receiver installed free last week due to the recall at "Fitzgerald Chrysler Jeep" in Clearwater but also received a super cool history lesson on my 98 ZJ Laredo as well.

First, it Turns out another dealer here in Florida "claimed" the work was done but this vehicle had no signs of ever having a receiver installed.
The service Mgr. Roger asked his senior mechanic to take a look at it as I explained of just purchasing the vehicle a little while back
Roger pulled up the entire history on my vehicle as the other service Mgr. picked up the phone and called the dealer who claimed to have completed it previously asking why they marked it complete in the system and they had no answers as far as they knew. My Jeep has had recalls acknowledged and completed in about 8 states spread out across the nation over the last 15 years ,Here I'm thinking something was wrong when in fact all of them were turned in by the parents of the guy I bought it from so those people really loved driving lol
It was really cool to be reassured they had cared enough to have them completed no matter where they were and most likely about half of the 195000 it has on it was highway miles.The lady Service Mgr. walked back over to Roger and I and asked if I had about an hour to spare, Yep! Ok great then we are going to install it anyway its probably not safe driving without it whether they put one on or not at the other dealer it wasn't completed "for you".. So pretty good way to get a free safety receiver and this place went anove and beyond so I recommend a stop into the dealers to anybody that way they know what's been done and what hasn't! and you get a really cool history lesson.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-20-2017, 04:54 PM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I already had a hitch on my KJ, so I ignored the recall. Only when they upped the ante to $100 in my pocket did I have it done.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM2's 35x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #11 of 11 Old 07-09-2017, 11:36 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Here is the FCA Hitch Recall $100 Visa Prepaid Card Form.

The telephone number is: (866) 814-1480.

The processing time is 4-6 weeks after they process the completed claim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.