Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chrysler recalls Jeeps...Get your free trailer hitch

96K views 444 replies 140 participants last post by  AmishFury 
#1 ·
#3 ·
It's a long time coming but they finally did the right thing. . .
Are you kidding? Did the right thing? How ridiculous.

This has NOTHING to do with safety. They basically got strong-armed by a bunch of clueless zealots and it became cheaper to issue a recall than doing the right thing and ignoring these fools. Good thing we had cash-for-clunkers a few years ago.

#6 ·
When I first purchased my Jeep, I was under the impression that they included bumpers with the 5000 lbs weight specs.
I was in for an awaking when it took a 3 mph rear tap that took out the bumper and rear hatch. I can see why the off road crowd are replacing them with fabricated replacements.

#7 ·
I just contacted me local jeep dealer and they told me if my vehicle is effected by the recall I'd be receiving a letter with further instructions. I assume they look over the build sheet for vehicles not equipped with factory trailer hitches. Mine came with one. I am still looking for a skid plate.

#13 ·
— The company will recall 1.56 million Libertys from 2002 through 2007 and Grand Cherokees from 1993 through 1998. If they don't have factory or Chrysler "Mopar" trailer hitches, dealers will install them. The heavy metal hitches bolt to the frame and help bolster protection for the gas tank.

— About 1.2 million Grand Cherokees from the 1999 to 2004 model years will be part of the "customer service action." Owners will get notices saying their vehicles are fine if they have factory or Chrysler trailer hitches. Dealers will inspect other trailer hitches to make sure they're secure. But if the Jeeps don't have trailer hitches, Chrysler won't do anything, maintaining that the Jeeps are safe and do not need any changes. A Chrysler spokesman was not sure how many of the SUVs are without trailer hitches.

sucks to own a wj right now ha

#16 ·
The government( our tax money) already lost 1.3 billion on Chrysler. Not to mention that Fiat bought Chrysler from the Gov for next to nothing. The whole thing was funded by "We the People" so yea, if they went belly up then sayonara Chrysler. They won't though. They are to big to die.

#17 ·
Ive got nothing agains dodge products however its the dealers that make all the fuss about everything. Ive owned three dodges now and the first one I got royally ****ed up the *** so bad I was baisiclly forced to go back cause nobody else would do nothin. So yea I will stick it to them anyway I can, call me whatever you want I dont care. I see it as getting my moneys worth. Also my three year old daughter absoutly loves riding in daddys jeep and im going to try and make it as safe as I can for my daughter.

#25 ·
Well I played that card cause its a legitimate claim is it not? My daughters safety is just as important. Besides I dont really have to explain myself im just as honest as everyone else. Arguing about it isnt going to change the fact that 80% of the people here will probably go in.

#26 ·
This is total bs. I installed a westin tow hitch years ago so I could tow vehicles when the need arises. It had nothing to do with safety, it was about not having to hook a chain to some random spot under my jeep and screw something up. Even if I didn't have a hitch, I wouldn't go get one on principle. Every single vehicle I've owned had the gas tank between the axle and bumper, just like almost every vehicle on the road, and it hasn't been an issue. It seems like the media is just a tool for persuading mindless sheep of whatever the gov't or whoever wants. There should be no recall, or recall every single vehicle on the road since every one has some kind of remote risk.
:rantoff::brickwall:topicsucks:

#32 ·
xcaliber81 said:
I mean really though you cant change the fact that chrysler issued the recall and people will go in to get it looked at so why all the ridiculing? Let's all get along and drink on it. I mean hey would you rather rather drive an imported suv?
Amen! Buy American. Spend it where you earned it. Unless you work overseas, then spend it in America.

#35 ·
The way I see it this could also be a money maker for them... Bring you Jeep in get the hitch installed.. chrysler also mentioned they will do a inspection on the vehicle which means their mechanis will have a hay day finding problems on our old Jeeps and there is always the person who will pay money to have it fixed

#43 ·
I just can't see why anyone is worried about safety in a vehicle that is at best 15 years old. Think about it....15 YEARS OLD!!! If safety is an issue for a daily driver there are much better options out there for you in your price range. 15 years old, it should be a toy, not your primary vehicle. if you are so concerned with the safety compared to todays newer vehicles, I say you need to rethink your priorities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.