2015 Cherokee Trailhawk software problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Jeep Recalls > 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk software problem

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidMore Rugged Ridge Deals !

Unread 04-16-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
strman

2015 Cherokee Trailhawk software problem

I have a 2015 Trailhawk 6 cyl which I have put over 11,000 miles on with superb performance. Up until the recent software reprogramming recall, this has been the best performing jeep that I have ever owned, far superior to my 2012 Wrangler in every way. Now since the recall, I am having the same shifting problems that were reported by many owners when this car first came out in 2014. Lag surge lag surge, clinc clunk, flutter, always in the wrong gear and impossible to use cruise control in the mountains. Gas mileage has also dropped by a mile per gallon. Whatever software engineer came up with this, should be booted square in the ying yang.

strman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
strman

Holy Moly!

Update. Unbelievable! After keeping my car all day Neuwirth Motors of Wilmington calls me and tells me that they cannot duplicate the problem. Now since the software "upgrade" the car will not shift down when turning a corner. It stays in 4th gear which you can see when shifting to sport mode. They also tell me that I am now stuck with this horrible performance and that there is no going back to the previous software with which the car ran great.
If you get a recall notice in the mail, ignore it if your car is running good because the new "upgrade" is going to make it drive like a piece of crap!
Unread 04-18-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
zander21510
Retro Tech Master

1995 ZJ 

That stinks. Are you able to reproduce the clunks? you could ride with a tech and show them.
Unread 04-19-2015, 05:44 AM   #4
strman

"That stinks. Are you able to reproduce the clunks? you could ride with a tech and show them. "

That is exactly what I had to do, ride along and show the inept, incompetent mechanic how to test drive a car. He blamed the guy at the desk who writes up the work orders. We didn't even get out of the parking lot before the car started screwing up. Now I have to bring it back to them and waste day 3 of them having my car all day. Keep in mind that this was a sweet running machine before the software recall. The new software prevents the car from downshifting so you end up with a sluggish, bucking and shaking pig.
Chrysler has promised to call me through email but I have not received a call yet.
Unread 04-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
zander21510
Retro Tech Master

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strman View Post
"That stinks. Are you able to reproduce the clunks? you could ride with a tech and show them. "

That is exactly what I had to do, ride along and show the inept, incompetent mechanic how to test drive a car. He blamed the guy at the desk who writes up the work orders. We didn't even get out of the parking lot before the car started screwing up. Now I have to bring it back to them and waste day 3 of them having my car all day. Keep in mind that this was a sweet running machine before the software recall. The new software prevents the car from downshifting so you end up with a sluggish, bucking and shaking pig.
Chrysler has promised to call me through email but I have not received a call yet.
Yikes...I guess the takeaway from all this is: if it's working don't even think about doing the software update :P.

I had it done but mine was doing rough shifts, after that it was a little odd but improved over time...overall what a mess...
Unread 04-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
strman

Update number 2

Ok, Looking better! Left my car at the shop all day and Neuwrths reprogrammed it with yet a different program and this is a definite improvement in responsiveness and shifting. I haven't been able to put many miles on it yet but it's got some snap back.
I live at sea level and it was when I had driven to the mountains that I had encountered so many shifting problems with the recall program. I make many trips to the mountains and before the software recall, this Trailhawk was the sweetest ride up there and handled all terrains effortlessly.
Unread 04-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #7
zander21510
Retro Tech Master

1995 ZJ 

So do you know of they reflashed the new update or did they actually downgrade it?
Unread 04-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #8
strman

""So do you know of they reflashed the new update or did they actually downgrade it? ""

The dealer told me it was a completely different program. The car still feels like it is in a higher gear than it used to be when slwing down, but it is shifting down quicker when you need it. I can live with it on flat terrain. The test will be when I take it back to the mountains.
Have you ever noticed at what temperature your transmission runs at? I noticed for the first time after the new program, that the vehicle info will come on showing the transmission temp. it went from 159 to 180 in heavy traffic but never went higher in the few miles I had to drive.
Unread 04-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
zander21510
Retro Tech Master

1995 ZJ 

Mine usually sits at 165 solid after warming up, but i've seen it peak up near 180. I've noticed though that people who have eventually had issues said their transmissions would regularly sit above 180, near 200.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.