Zero steer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Zero steer

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 11-18-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
jeepramnauth
2010 JK Wrangler 

Zero steer

Hey guys, I'm a mechanical engineering student and for one of my final projects in my CAD (catia) class I designed a zero-steer (found on the jeep hurricane) system. I have to state the practical uses for my design. So, I was just wondering if you guys could help me out. So the question basically is:

-How would such a system (turning 360 degrees in the same spot- zero turing radius) benifit off road driving?

jeepramnauth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well - the best thing I could think of as a practical use would be parking downtown. There are times that I have tried to park, and no matter what I did, my vehicle would not fit into the space.

Just to let you know, I have parked long-box trucks into spaces where there was only 2" of space between the front and rear of the truck by the time I was finished parking it. Ya - there might have been a couple of little "bumps" in the process, but nothing that would cause damage. In fact, I did that very thing last night parking between two of my other vehicles, just to see if I could do it. I did it!
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
JeepFreak91

if you get stuck in a dead end trail that isnt that wide, instead of backing up all the way or trying to turn around all you have to do is spin 180 degrees
JeepFreak91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak91
if you get stuck in a dead end trail that isnt that wide, instead of backing up all the way or trying to turn around all you have to do is spin 180 degrees
x2, especially when you've got a cliff face on one side and a 1000 ft. drop-off on the other.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
jeepramnauth
2010 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it. keep um coming!
jeepramnauth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Hurricane's steering system is a marvel of engineering all by itself. There are multiple steering modes using four-wheel independent steering. That means that each wheel can turn separately from the others.
In standard steering mode, the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction to the front wheels, which tightens the turning radius and makes for more accurate steering. In a second mode, the rear wheels turn in the same direction as the front wheels, meaning the Hurricane can "crab-steer" -- move to the side without changing the direction that it faces.
A third mode, utilizing the "T-Box Zero Steer" mechanism, allows all four wheels to "toe-in" and changes the drive direction to each wheel so that they alternate. The result? The Jeep Hurricane has a turning radius of zero. The Hurricane can actually rotate in place.

Eh, i copied and pasted it, but closed the window before I could give proper referance.

I would say that the crab steer would be really helpful when your in the mud. If you're not getting anywhere you can creep to the side and hopefull get one sides tired onto the wall, aim for better lines, perform safer high speed lane changes, and I can see it being beneficial making maneuvers in the snow/ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
GreenDean
1995 ZJ 

after a night of drinking you can make all your friends puke with the tough of a button.
GreenDean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
arbby
2005 KJ Liberty 

use it to do mad donuts in the parking lot...toss it into 1st and burnout donuts

Gone: 1993 YJ
arbby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #9
Slapahoe
Registered Jerk

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I once went down a trail that was ment for ATV's. I didn't belive it at first untill the trail became VERY narrow and then finall came into a double s turn with a steep decline. I have to do almost a 20 point turn all the while with all the other guys standing on my rockers and passenger side to keep me from flipping. Had I had zero steer, I would of effortlessly turned around and been on with me day.

In the city, parellel parking difficulty would be a thing of the past.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.