Your first Jeep wreck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Your first Jeep wreck

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-22-2004, 02:53 AM   #1
Swole2005

Your first Jeep wreck

I just thought it would be fun to start a thread on the time you have gotten into a wreck with your Jeep.

I just bought a new Jeep about a year ago now. I remember it like it was yesterday. I haven't had the Jeep for about 3 weeks until I found myself in a car wreck. ( My 1st ever) I even had the 30 day tag and I still had the smell of the new car scent. I was going to work that afternoon in Charlotte,NC. on interstate 77 ( for those who knows the area, you know what kind of traffic I'm talking about).

The traffic was BACKEEEEEEED UP for miles and I was already waiting an hour in traffic and was late for work. As I got near my exit ramp. I felt a jolt and felt like I was in a bumper car ride and I was just hit from the back. Lucliky I slam on the brakes after the Jeep slid from the impact. As I looked in my rear view mirror I saw the car that hit me was TORN UP...I mean LITERALLY TORN UP...Her hood was all in the passenger and driver side. Im still amazed how she got out of the car. Her Windshield was all shattered. Her airbag was deployed.

I got REAL scared because I never been in a wreck and I saw the damage to her car and thought this is gonna leave a mark on my NEW JEEP. I was dreading the walk out of my car to see the damage. ( Honestly, I didn't think I asked if she was okay or checked if she was hurt, I just wanted to check how much damage was done to my Jeep.

I have never in my entire life felt relieved to see only couple of marks on my bumper due to the paint that was rubbed off by the red honda. I couldn't believe that was all the damage done to my Jeep. I thought this couldn't be, because the lady car was TOTAL. You can see the fluids comming out of the engine and the parts all smash up into the car. I found out this is her 3rd wreck in this month!...( I guess I finally put her out of commission)

The cool part was that I was in a traffic Jam, and as cars roll by and saw the damage to the red honda and looked at my Jeep, you can tell they were amaze of the damage cause by my rear bumper. I felt proud that I bought this Tank instead of a Japanese car which would have been total if it was in this wreck. My boss didn't believe me that I got into a wreck becasue he didn't see any damages to my bumper expect some scuff marks of paint until he saw the accident report.

I got to rent a car for a week for free while they replace a new bumper on my new jeep courtesy of her insurance company. I love owning a TANK!

Swole2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 07:09 AM   #2
thebubba1018

Lol...funny story.

I..hm...I should start from the beginning... Well, I got a speeding ticket one day (70 in 55) so I opted to take the driving course to keep the ticket off my record, and out of my insurance companys books. Well...went to the class, and on the way home, I was trying to drive like a GOOD SAFE DRIVER. I was honestly doing everything right, until the lady in front of my decides to slam on her brakes in her little car while Im changing CD's. Well...little cars stop faster than big cars, so I slid right into the back of her on my way home from driving school.

Didnt hurt her car, but kinda pushed my front bumper up under my grille. That was my first one.

A week later, me and my girlfriend were driving home (this was Christmas day), she was driving her VW Jetta, and I was riding with her. Some drunk man ran out of gas on the side of the highway, and for some stupid reason (it was 8 pm, dark out) he turned off all of his lights, and proceeded to PUSH his car down a 5 lane highway. We hit him going about 65. Both me and my girlfriend spent the rest of the night in the hospital, and the christmas break in bed with broken sternums. Needless to say her car was destroyed from sliding almost halfway under this stationwagon. They couldnt find the car we hit for about 25 minutes after the wreck. It rolled about half a mile down the hiway, and went into a ditch on the other side of the road... We were so confused, my girlfriend and I, after the wreck because we never saw what we hit. Never.

That was the second one.

The third one was the week school got back in after christmas, I was riding with my mom, somebody rear ended her. Nothing serious, a few I hope you are oks, and hand shaking fixed it before the cops came around.

The last one happened about 2 weeks after the third.... a kid rear ended my jeep. Smashed up his little honda, but didnt do anything except rub a little of his paint onto my hitch.

I have never been in a wreck before december of 02, and never after Jan 03, but I got in 4 in between...

bad month...

so, wear your seat-belts kids, and appretiate everything you have, and tell everyone you love them, cause your life can end in a second while driving...

- 31x10.5 Liberator ATs. - JCR Offroad front brush guard. - Trimmed fenders - All else stock.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Sloop Point Vol. Fire Dept #1424[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]Blue Jeep Club #106![/COLOR]
Proud To Be A [COLOR=Red]FF[/COLOR]/[COLOR=White]EMT[/COLOR]/[COLOR=Blue]Police[/COLOR]/[COLOR=Green]Military[/COLOR] Club Member #3
thebubba1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 07:34 AM   #3
wyldejackyl

Yep, 12/9/02 my girlfriend (now wife) and I were in her T-bird on a 4 lane road in the left hand lane waiting to turn left onto a side street. This huge lincoln comes out of nowhere and smashes into us from behind, doing about 45. My wife luckily held the wheel straight.
and we just got bumped forward, while I looked to my right and saw the lincoln bounce off of us, go up on the curb, pop both front tires, and smash into a tree. For some reason, I thought she was going to back up and keep on driving..so I asked my wife if she was okay, and she said she was, then I bolted out of the car and went to the Lincoln, which had a pretty smashed up front end..and the old lady is inside choking on the airbag fumes. I told her if she didn't unlock the door that I'd break the window..finally she got the door unlocked and I pulled her out of there. All she could say to me was, "What happened?"
This is when I first started hating old people on the road. So we're sitting in the back of the squad car since we all refused an ambulance (my wife, the old lady, and myself), and all the woman kept saying while the cop was writing the report was, "Will you hurry up- I need to get home."
Meantime, my wife lost that car, which she loved, and had contusions on her brain from the seatbelt not locking and her hitting the steering wheel. Ford denied this of course, but I think they ended up kicking us some $$ for their bad engineering.
My wife bought her 03 vibe the 23rd of december, and I got into a car wreck with my 87 jetta 5 days later.
I was actually on the way to the junkyard to buy a new gauge cluster since my tach stopped working - I had all my tools in the trunk and I was dressed in grubby grease-stained clothes. I'm going maybe 5 over the speed limit in the right lane on a 4 lane highway, thru a green light. Some idiot asian in his toyota (of course), turns on red and ends up in my lane (he made a right onto my road), going about 15 mph and speeding up slowly. I change lanes to go around his slow ***, then at the last minute, he starts coming into my lane! I honk and slow down, and by this time he's totally in front of me, oblivious to the difference between my speed and his. I swerve to the right to go around this idiot on the other side, and he swerves back to the right, and slams on the brakes! I clocked him hard, but in the end, there wasn't too much damage to the jetta. It was still totalled, and if it wasn't for teh impact shattering the oil cooler and the engine running w/o oil pressure for about 30 seconds, I would have totally parted it out.
The toyota was focked all the way into the back seat, which was nearly pressed into the backs of the two front seats.
Assclown gets out of his car to help me, as I'm in a daze..he literally RUNS back to see if I'm okay, and he apologizes, etc. I'm like, "hey as long as you have insurance and a license, I don't care." Well, teh cops come, and guess who goes in an ambulance to Loyola Med Center, which is literally 100 yards away? Not me.
He's in the ER, and I refused treatment. I later went in and was prescribed some vicadin for pain, which I never filled nor took. I got a ticket though, for failing to prevent an accident. Purely absurd, since I did everything except stop completely and pull over the curb to avoid him. He got a ticket for illegal lane usage. Both were dropped, and I got my 94 Jetta GLX after that. I had two accidents in that one..I rear ended some ***** because she stopped for no reason with about 20 car lengths in front of her at a green light (I wasn't expecting it, and I saw her bend down to pick up something off the floor when she nailed it). No damage to either car, except my broken fog light lens. Turns out her license plates were expired for not having the car smogged, and her license was invalid, but the cop let her go because we were in an expensive suburb, predominantly white, and she was the opposite.
12/08/03- it's this guy's birthday and he's on the phone in his 91 rust bucket 4runner. I'm peeking out trying to get into one lane to the left (we're at a red light, and the lane to the left of me is wide open for another 200 feet or so, mine is stopped). there's a huge SUV behind me and I can't see anything, so I'm barely inching out. Sticking out maybe a foot, and this guy clocked me going by - he had to be doing at least 50, because he had to slam on the brakes to avoid causing an accident with stopped traffic. In the end, we both got tickets that were dropped, but the accident went on MY RECORD, because stupid state farm payed out to fix his POS because technically I was intruding into HIS lane - never mind that he was speeding up to a red light, that he was on the phone, nor that the lanes are 13 feet wide and his car is half that if he's lucky and he couldn't move over a foot or so.

June 17/04, some old lady turned into me as I was going thru an intersection, and messed up my driver's side front of my jeep. New axle, new transfer case, new driveshaft...
and it still doesnt' work right. It's in the shop now as a matter of fact.
55/100W H4 Hella headlamp conversion w/ dual relays
wyldejackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

mine involved a really steep rock face, and a little mud...

the collision involved 3 of us...my TJ, a big root on my drivers side, and a solid mound of dirt behind me...

I'm the only one that sustained any permanent damage...a dent on the bumper and a slight crack in the fender, as the 3" in diameter root went through it as I slid straight sideways:

was able to pop the fender back out, and the big hole just became big crack...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 11:17 AM   #5
nova
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ooh. All the damage on my truck isn't my fault. Honestly. and it pisses me off. Three days after I got it, it was parked in he parking lot at work, and some a hole cracked my front bumper cover bad. I was helping my friend move, and she moved my truck and clipped the corner of her house. Luckily that's only a little dent and scratches on the cladding. Then, my mom was driving my truck, something came off the car in front of her and scratched my bumper cover, then hit my windshield and put an itty bitty crack in it. Then.. one time I was driving to mini golf and my friend was following me, and he's on chemo, which messes with his sight, and he rolled into me, cracked the back bumper cover, that's not noticeable though. And lastly, I was driving down the street, and a baby deer attacked my truck and cracked the other side of the front bumper cover, put a dent in my rocker panel and took off a piece of cladding. Maybe I'll go take some photos. lol
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 11:28 AM   #6
JJorda
Jeep. Jeep? Jeep! Jeep.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Only time I've been hit is when I was exiting the highway, stopped at a stop sign at the end of the exit ramp, and someone hit me from behind. Only a scratch on the Jeep, she needed a new hood, grille and bumper. Never had any other kind of body damage, other than a cracked windshield, once from flying rocks, once from a low tree branch.
1989 Jeep Wrangler - Daily Driver and project - Red Jeep Club #216, NRA Jeep Club #5
1967 Chevelle SS396 - Main Project <--454, TH400, 4.10's, FAST
1982 Caprice Classic - Another project <-- 350/700R4, 4 wheel discs
1979 Honda Civic CVCC - Yet another project <--goal of 60 mpg
JJorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 11:35 AM   #7
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova
Ooh. All the damage on my truck isn't my fault......
What do you drive? A MJ/Commanche?

My first wreck was in Baltimore, MD. Raining hard, driving down a hill at about 30mph. The hill was full of pot holes and was completely uneven. The light was turning to red, I put on the brakes and they locked up as usual.

A black Oldsmobile Altima was coming from my right and didn't have to stop since he got to the intersection just as it turned green. I hit his front quarter panel right above the wheel. The lucky part, I had put the front half of the lift on and extra three inches prevented me from tearing apart his tire.

I know the bumper is new, but I want to replace it with a winch bumper already!

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 11:36 AM   #8
nova
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a ZJ
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 05:06 PM   #9
Jeep'n Joe

My one and only Jeep accident happened in 1962 while on training manouvers at camp A.P. Hill VA. It was in the dead of winter and all the trails were frozen over. Our driver, who's name I will never forget, Benny White was decending a hill when we started sliding sideways. As soon as we got 90* to the road, over she went. Thanks to the lazy Bozos at the motor pool the winter top was not on, so all four occupants were able to exit the Jeep as soon as she started to roll. She rolled about three or four times before she came to rest on her side at the bottom of the hill. We walked down the hill and rolled her back on her wheels. there were no dents,scratches or any sign if damage and she started right up, so we just continued on our way. Those Korean war M38A1 military jeeps were built like a tank whith real steel not sheet metal.
Had a couple of other incidents in the Nam while un-a$$ing a hot zone in an M131 mutt , but they were only close calls; and as every one knows close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.
Jeep'n Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 05:10 PM   #10
War Eagle
BRAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!

I'm hoping I'll never post in this thread. Oh wai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thexonexkid View Post
I was under the assumption that you were Keith?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 05:21 PM   #11
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Location: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour
I should never have opened this thread earlier today.
Just today I was driving down the highway and a small rock hit my window right in front of my face, didn't do any damage but scared me to death. Then another rock hit my windshield. Again no damage, and I am like "Where are these rocks coming from?" I never did find out...but while I was looking at my windshield I notice a spider on the inside of the windshield. So I grab a napkin and smash the spider..............oops. I guess I don't know my own strength and cracked my windshield at the same time. Totally cracked my windshield from top to bottom and from both sides...luckily I got it replaced today too. I am an idiot this I know.
Unread 10-22-2004, 05:25 PM   #12
War Eagle
BRAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!

I killed a spider in my Jeep today as well. No busted windshield, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thexonexkid View Post
I was under the assumption that you were Keith?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 05:36 PM   #13
mikevsgeek
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor
I should never have opened this thread earlier today.
Just today I was driving down the highway and a small rock hit my window right in front of my face, didn't do any damage but scared me to death. Then another rock hit my windshield. Again no damage, and I am like "Where are these rocks coming from?" I never did find out...but while I was looking at my windshield I notice a spider on the inside of the windshield. So I grab a napkin and smash the spider..............oops. I guess I don't know my own strength and cracked my windshield at the same time. Totally cracked my windshield from top to bottom and from both sides...luckily I got it replaced today too. I am an idiot this I know.
the crack was probably already there, maybe in black strip on the bottom (had that before) and it spread as soon as you touched the windshield... had it happen to me before
mikevsgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 05:53 PM   #14
doorocks
Web Wheeler

Let's see...........on a rainy morning in Olney, Md a few years back, and as I was approaching a light, the car in the left lane suddenly changed lanes in front of me as the light turned yellow and jammed on his brakes...............due to my lighting quick reflexes, I snapped my wheel to the right, on to the sidewalk, squeezed between the light pole and mailbox, made it back to the pavement, avoiding a car coming broadside...............and NEVER, I say NEVER spilled a drop of my coffee which was in my right hand(that's important to mention for us coffee drinkers at 4am).....but I sustained paint damage from some tree branches that were obviously in my way.

I often wonder if that guy was a "setup" for an insurance claim...........

RE 3.5 and all kinds of other relevant goodies, you know winch and stuff.

[COLOR=Red][B]Life is like walking into the No Chance Bar full of Future Darwin Stories........[/B][/COLOR]

More mods than a hillbilly's set of teeth..
doorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 06:16 PM   #15
Red J
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My first Jeep accident was in a parking lot where I was parked on the end spot. A woman, who had never driven before, decided to take her husbands Lincoln town boat for a spin. She hit the gas in reverse and flew 25 feet into my one year old '83 CJ 5. She hit the front end and smashed it into my friends Camaro which was parked next to me. The whole front end had to be redone. I never got over that one.
2" Skyjacker Lift with Hydro shocks
Smittybuilt Tube Bumpers and Sides
Life is Good!
Red J is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.