YJ to JK Coil Spring Input - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Dansc90

I've got a 94 YJ Full Metalcloak with rear stretch corners, and 8" flares. Right now I have 33's with 4" lift and 2" body from before the Metalcloak stuff. Plan is to go to 37's so naturally I need to upgrade the axles. I live in PA which has stupid tire coverage/lift laws so the axles I get need to be about 64"wms max. I've looked into custom axles, but I really want to keep everything as production as possible so I can buy off the shelf parts in a bind. I realized JK44's we're about 65wms so with the right back spacing I should be good, and I also realized the stock coil springs would line up perfectly to put some coil spring buckets on the outside of my yj frame to do a coil spring conversation. So the plan is to get the HD J8 JK44 axles front and rear and do full coil spring conversation while I'm doing it, with 3 link front and 4 link rear with Johnny joints. I've built a lot of off road vehicles, but this is my first road legal(ish) build, and if you live in PA you understand the ish part. My main questions are, when breaking and accelerating, to limit the front and rear sway, would that depend more on the shocks, or the spring rate, assuming links are properly setup? To prevent sway back and forth, would the front sway bar be sufficient, or would I need to include a rear sway bar as well? Any input on the build is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 01:00 AM
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Any properly functioning link suspension will and should include front and rear sway bars. Link geometry will greatly determine squat and dive on acceleration and braking though, regardless of shock valving, spring rates, and lack or presence of sway bars. Look into link separation, and how antisquat and your roll center are determined.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Dansc90

Yeah I'm pretty familiar with link separate, I've built a 4 link mega truck before, but that had a drop down subframe so it was pretty easy to set them up equally, just not sure how easy it would be on a jeep just using the frame.

Last edited by Dansc90; 08-20-2017 at 10:29 AM.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 10:32 AM
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
The YJ frame is nearly identical to the TJ frame, dimensionally speaking, and TJ's have enough frame to properly mount a 4 link from the factory. Perhaps look at a TJ 3/4 link kit such as the Savvy midarm. You might have to do a little more measuring than someone installing it on a TJ, but it should fit with minimal trouble.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Dansc90

What about with a long arm/radius arm setup? What would prevent the back and forth sway with that setup? Front only, rear would still be 4 link.

Last edited by Dansc90; 08-20-2017 at 12:32 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 12:41 PM
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Radius arms give you a serious amount of bind under articulation, and have little to no ability to control the front end, making the front end unload on hills and any other uneven terrain. I wouldn't even consider a radius arm setup, and nothing anyone could say to me would change my mind.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-20-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Dansc90

Okay, I've never built anything with them, but know Ford used them from the factory for a bit, and some of the TJ long arm kits are set up with them so I was curious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.