Yes, that's right. Orvis is selling Wagoneers. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Yes, that's right. Orvis is selling Wagoneers.

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 09-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
aBoyAndHisCJ
1978 CJ7 

Yes, that's right. Orvis is selling Jeeps.

So I was buying obscenely overpriced hunting & outdoors gear for this season when I stumbled upon this:

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?dir_...6&subject=9294

Orvis is selling refurb'ed Waggies through some Texas outfitter, "Satisfaction Guaranteed." I didn't investigate too far after finding this, but for the price of what it would probably cost to order one through Orvis, I could probably fab a SOA Rolls-Royce with front AND rear winches.

Additionally, as this is my first official post in JF, I'd just like to thank you guys— you've made me laugh plenty, and I've learned a lot. Literally hours upon hours of reading the tech sections on this forum as I've worked through my CJ-7 build.

Last edited by aBoyAndHisCJ; 09-16-2011 at 09:30 PM..
aBoyAndHisCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
saxart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting....

After seeing your post, I went to wagonmaster.com.

Wow! The prices!!

'99 Wrangler Sport: 2.5" Old Man Emo lift and shocks, adjustable trackbars, Quick-Disko sway links, rollin on 31" BFG A/Ts
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
Dead_End
2000 TJ Wrangler 

holy crap. 44k for a '91. I don't think they're that nice....
2000 TJ-amber fire, 2.5L, AX5 transmission, NP231 transfer case, 1" t-case drop, D30 front, D35 rear, 4.10 gears, 4" Rubicon Express lift, 33x12.50 Goodyear Wrangler Dratrac tires, 15x8 American Racing steel D-window rims, 3 chime train horn, Viar 450C compressor with 6 gal tank, CJ tailgate, CJ/YJ hard top with XJ roof rack, soft top, Dynomax Super Turbo cat-back, HD ZJ steering, bedliner, SRC rear bumper w/tire carrier
1990 XJ "Dead End"-amber fire, 4.0L, AW4 transmission, D30 front, D35 rear, 3.55 gears, 235/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires, 15x7 TJ rims, 2001 front clip
1993 XJ forest green, 4.0l, 2wd, AW4 trans, D35 rear, 3.55 gears
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah... I might pay that much for a restored-to-new 98 5.9 ZJ, but probably not a Waggy. You think Orvis would be offering restored Orvis ZJs if anything...

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude View Post
Yeah... I might pay that much for a restored-to-new 98 5.9 ZJ, but probably not a Waggy. You think Orvis would be offering restored Orvis ZJs if anything...
The Waggy is considered an icon of Jeep and the SUV world as the Original luxury SUV, and there aren't that many around anymore. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a ZJ. That would be why Orvis is restoring the Waggy.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
48Willys2a
1948 CJ2A 

Seems like I remember them marketing restored Land Rover Series II's a few years ago too. Obviously out of my price range, must be for the "J. Peterman's" of the world. "Ah yes, lets see, three pairs of chinos, four oxford shirts, a $30k used Wagoneer, and an urban sombrero. Should about do it, Elane."
48Willys2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
GIJOEBILL
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My second favorite Jeep after the Wrangler. I bought one and had to dump it. There were so many electrical problems with it. I needed a DD and could not afford to fix it.There were other issues mechanically. The Mrs. hates it. I tell her all the time,"When we hit the lottery,there will be 2 of those in the driveway.

There was a guy here in Florida refurbishing them and selling them for 10-15 K. that seems more reasonable.
GIJOEBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Deepskyy- View Post
The Waggy is considered an icon of Jeep and the SUV world as the Original luxury SUV, and there aren't that many around anymore. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a ZJ. That would be why Orvis is restoring the Waggy.
If you can swing a dead cat and hit a 5.9 let me know . I am quite aware of what Waggies are, that's just a lot of money to pay for something with that old of technology in it.

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.transportspecs.com/top-5-...auction-sales/

Now that is a lot of money for old technology.
And the TR is the only one that is even cool.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJOEBILL
My second favorite Jeep after the Wrangler. I bought one and had to dump it. There were so many electrical problems with it. I needed a DD and could not afford to fix it.There were other issues mechanically. The Mrs. hates it. I tell her all the time,"When we hit the lottery,there will be 2 of those in the driveway.

There was a guy here in Florida refurbishing them and selling them for 10-15 K. that seems more reasonable.
I know exactly what you mean. I had a one owner in garage kept condition. Separation, divorce and dd did not mix well but I loved that waggy.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

There is a market for them....however that market is not the people in Jeepforum.com or other sites like ifsja.org

wagonmasters starts with very good condition waggys and goes beyond that point. Mostly cosmetic work, not alot of mechanical.

Regardless, the wagoneer are making a comeback, with the money crowd. Look through a polo or ll bean catalog from this year or some other preppy type clothing company, there are wagoneers in alot of the shoots. Several members on ifsja.org had their vehicles used for fashion shoots recently.

remember, the wagoneer and subsequently the grand wagoneer, were the FIRST luxury SUV ever. Wagoneer was introduced in 63, back then the competition in the 4wd department was basically the suburban and the international travelall. Both of which were essentially I closed trucks. Not luxury 4wd family wagons.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #12
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

My mother has near mint condition Grand Wagoneer. Just needs a really good detail all over the engine and underside to make it shine. It has carburetor issues though so it sits still doing nothing.
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

Im looking to buy a nice Wagoneer soon, they are really making a large comeback just like Dr.marneaus said they have been in the polo catalogs for along time.
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Waggys were really popular amongst Microsoft exec in the not too distant past, they were paying big bucks for good ones. I really like my 82 Cherokee, too bad the frame was bent and the engine blew up!
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

My mom had waggys exclusively from 1974 til 04. Finally swapped her 91 for a Yukon, and misses the waggy. My Grnadmother has stupid money and had the 91. She sold it to my folks in 93 and bought a brand new caddy with all the bells and whistles, drove it for 4 months, sold it and bought a used waggy and had it fully restored. If I ever win the lottery I will have a few of them all ground up restorations with upgraded parts were needed and fuel injection on built motors. IMHO, you can't beat the feel and ride of a waggy. Good solid luxury.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , wagoneer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.