XM satellite / Sirius radio? Worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > XM satellite / Sirius radio? Worth it?

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 02-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

XM satellite / Sirius radio? Worth it?

Wondering if anyone has this service and can chime in, particularly in terms of variety / reliability if in a rural area (as I am).

Debating between this an plugging in an MP3 player w/ aux jack. I don't want to change the head unit, but it comes with XM satellite if I buy the service.

TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
chowner
2014 WK 

It's meh. It will work fine for you as long as you don't have a lot of tree coverage where you are driving.

If you call them up and complain about the price they've been offering service for around $20-25 for 6 months. Since it sounds like you already have the radio this would be a cheap way to try it out for a while and decided.

The music channels aren't that great IMO way to repetitive.
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
nwiTJdave

Do you do alot of highway driving between states or not get any radio where you live? I never really cared for it when I had it. When I bought my 300, Chrysler gave me a year free and I probably only listened to it a dozen times or so, but that's because I like the radio programming where I live.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
Do you do alot of highway driving between states or not get any radio where you live? I never really cared for it when I had it. When I bought my 300, Chrysler gave me a year free and I probably only listened to it a dozen times or so, but that's because I like the radio programming where I live.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Radio stations where I live pretty much come in at intervals of a couple miles at a time. Lots of hills, sparse population, and yes I do highway driving.

Anyway, I guess it turns out I would have to buy the antenna too? I didn't realize until looking into this some more. The head unit is marked "XM ready" with an XM button and all, but the antenna must be purchased and connected in addition to subscribing to the service.

Meh.
TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #5
jamesrw30
2004 WJ 

You would have to buy the antenna also. My wife had it in her car and when we were using it to drive to and from alabama on a regular basis (a trip of 600 miles just to and from) it was alright. The songs do seem to get more repetitive than you would think. But now that we don't use it for that she let it expire because she says it just isn't worth it. What we found was we listened to maybe two or three stations and then all the other ones were just a waste.
jamesrw30 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:48 AM   #6
1911fish
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I love mine! I average about 2-3 hundred miles a day for work and I hate radio commercials. I got it because I am a Howard Stern fan and then fell in love with satellite radio. No censorship, little or no commercials, and no static. How ever if you have heavy tree coverage that will interrupt the antenna or if you go under an overpass. I am mostly on the highway or in residential areas so this does not affect me. I find when I drive in something without satellite I really hate it now. Also my wife calls them every 6 months or so and threatens to cancel due to price and they discount the bill it every time.
1911fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
AKABOB
Incredibly Handsome

1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

It is great for talk radio and sports. There are a bunch of music channels but I don't care for any of them. Not only are they repetitive, they seems to repeat songs no one likes. I keep it for football season and comedy channels.
AKABOB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've had XM since before they combined with Sirius.
I find that except for the morning talk show I don't listen to terrestrial radio anymore. My first unit was/is a Pioneer Inno. I move it from my truck to my desk at work to the dock at home averaging 9 or 10 hrs a day listening. I also have one in my wife's van and my son's car.
Talk, Public, 80's, Rewind, BPM, CSPAN,Ozzy, the asst comedy channels...stuff you can't get anywhere else.
But the biggest reason I keep all three units subscribed is the long car trips. Not having to go through several broadcast areas, searching for something to listen to and in some of the areas only finding gospel garbage. I could use CDs or an Ipod but with XM I get at least an automated DJ mixing up the programming. Keeping interest up and sleep at bay.
vadslram is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

SirusXM is a terrible company, and they charge a ton of money for what you get. My advice is like others have said negotiate the cost down as little as you can. I paid about 25 dollars for six months.

At the end of the period they will bill your credit card automatically as a "favor" so your listening experience is not disrupted. I didn't let them keep my credit card on file so they charged me a "convience fee" to send me a paper bill. The bill was still a couple weeks after my plan expired, so i still ended up having to pay the full price for the extra couple days.

I will not ever become a customer of Sirusxm again. I listened to Octane and they play the same music over and over again. Gets old after a couple months.
LKWJEEPER is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

The North Koreans could shoot the satellite out of orbit and I wouldn't much care. Audio quality can be scattered at times (tunnel effect), but some of the stations are good if you like music or news/sports that's not covered locally/regionally.

I like a few channels of Alt, Country, and Fox + CNN. Then again, it's free for the time being. I wouldn't pay for it unless I was a serial long-haul driver.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
m1a1mastergunner

1979 CJ5 

[QUOTE=LKWJEEPER;20074065]SirusXM is a terrible company, and they charge a ton of money for what you get. My advice is like others have said negotiate the cost down as little as you can. I paid about 25 dollars for six months.

^ this. I spent some time, more than once, with customer service to get my credit card 'removed' from the auto billing after taking advantage of these great offers.

At the end of the day, I really just wanted to listen to music during my commute to/from work and not the endless banter and canned laugh tracks of syndicated talk morning shows that are offered free locally. I thought SirusXM would be a good solution, but I found that the two or three music channels I enjoyed seemed to repeat their playlists (noticeably).

Now, on occasion, I download some new music to my smart phone, and listen to that. I lose the convenience of one button on-demand music by having to set up my phone each drive. I can see some value for news or talk, but not for what I was interested in.
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
Indy

A friend of mine used xm, rode with him on numerous hunting trips and wasnt too impressed. Pandora/slacker are free and work well as long as you have cell service. And slacker will let you archive stations for when you dont.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
A friend of mine used xm, rode with him on numerous hunting trips and wasnt too impressed. Pandora/slacker are free and work well as long as you have cell service. And slacker will let you archive stations for when you dont.
This. I'd rather put the money toward unlimited data plan on my cell.
Unread 02-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Stations do repeat, but that's why there's a bunch of them - change the channel and listen to something different.
bigred33 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #15
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I have the "every channel" package in my Cruze and I've had it ever since I got it in May of 2011. I enjoy it. I've gotten more into talk radio ever since I signed up. A majority of my time is spent listening to the Opie & Anthony channel. I'll listen to Ron & Fez and Jason Ellis every so often. I've got about 10 or so music channels saved on the radio whenever I want to listen to music. From time to time I'll listen to a ball game or a race. My wife has the Mostly Music package in her WK. She seems to like it since she only listens to music.

I really wish they would do some kind of "pick 10" or "pick 20" package. Just choose whatever channels you want so you only pay for what you listen to.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.