Would you guys sell your silver coins? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Would you guys sell your silver coins?

ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSmittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
AlTheKillerr

my granny gave me a bunch of them. Its always nice having a little extra cash but its only about 400 dollars worth. theyll stay in the zip lock bag for now until they are worth a lot more or I have no choice.

AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #17
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKillerr View Post
my granny gave me a bunch of them. Its always nice having a little extra cash but its only about 400 dollars worth. theyll stay in the zip lock bag for now until they are worth a lot more or I have no choice.

If you NEED the money then they are just something of value to be traded for cash.
If you just WANT some money there are many much more effective ways to raise it..or change your priorities.

They aren't making anymore pure silver circulation coins and as they are moved around they get harder and harder to find good specimens.
If you have a proof set from some island nation...then they are probably only worth the raw silver price and they are mainly worth collecting for collectings sake. I have a 99.9 pure silver CG commemorative coin that's 1 oz and probable worth about 12 bucks..but I paid 5.
But I also have an uncirculated british 5 lb coin 24k one full oz certified and in a plastic case. I paid 500 (gold price at the time) current gold price is closer to $1300 and the coin itself is worth closer to $4k.
morale of the story. If I sold them 12 yrs ago when I wanted to get a $1000 30" HD TV I'd have an outdated not working TV and no coins. Instead I waited with SD tv, got a much better deal on an 40" LED for less and still have the coins.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #18
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

basically I have some 90% silver kennedy half dollars and some 40% silver half dollars that are worth about $100 in melt price now....I don't NEED the money, but I could use it.
Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I would rather use the money than have things sitting around the house that are WORTH money. The only thing in my house worth anything are my guns, and those obviously have a purpose. None of the other trinkets matter when you die. Sell those *****es and use it now.
vindicated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
NIUPonyBoy
2013 JK Wrangler 

I prefer actual money over paper.
-'07 Mineral Gray Ford Mustang GT Convertible
-'05 Silver Dodge Ram2500 PowerWagon Hemi 4x4
-'05 Silver Ford Freestar SEL Handicapped
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #21
Indy

"Actual" money has no value either. It doesnt matter what color your shiny rock is.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #22
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeekid88 View Post
basically I have some 90% silver kennedy half dollars and some 40% silver half dollars that are worth about $100 in melt price now....I don't NEED the money, but I could use it.
Basically id look at it as any other investment. You dont need the money, but could use it. When i have 50k in the bank, i can still use more so thats a non statement.

What could you use it for? If its for booze for the weekend, bad investment. If its food for a week you would otherwise starve, not a bad investment as long as you spend the week making sure you dont starve next week.

Same reason i own real estate, pays the bills today and gives me a retirement tomorrow.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #23
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

$100 hardly seems worth it like someone else mentioned. Add a zero or 2 to that and maybe it would be worth it.

Are these coins just purely for silver, or are they collectable? I have many, many silver Kennedy Halves and Franklin Halves that probably have a tad bit more of value above their weight in silver.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.