Would it be Idiotic... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Would it be Idiotic...

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Would it be Idiotic...

...to buy an XJ with 200,00 miles?

I need to get rid of my TJ because my son was born 3.5 months ago and it is very impractical to haul him around in it. I want to get something that is cheap, but still a Jeep and reliable/easy to work on myself. How much more life could I expect to get out of a 4.0 w/ 200,000 miles? More trouble than it's worth?

Here's what I am looking at.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 (clean)

JPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
AllXJ96
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Get him down to $1500 at the highest and sure, but look around, you can get somthing at that price with much less miles

For all your Jeep Needs, Morris 4x4 1-877-553-5337 ext 484 (10%)
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/
http://www.facebook.com/Morris4x4Center
AllXJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
mjrandall
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'd offer him $1800 and not give more than 2k for it. Odds are it'll last for at least 40-50k more miles, but thats a risk you've got to ask yourself if you're willing to take. I'd hate to give much more than that and then have to replace the engine/tranny and spend another grand on it. If you plan on keeping it forever then it wouldn't be bad to invest it, but if you just need something else to drive then I'd keep the TJ and buy a car. I know, I know, it is what it is--its up to you.
Jeep: A four-wheel drive vehicle of one-half- to one-and-one-half-ton capacity for reconnaissance or other army duty. A term applied to the bantam-cars, and occasionally to other motor vehicles (U.S.A.) in the Air Corps, the Link Trainer; in the armored forces, the -ton command vehicle. Also referred to as "any small plane, helicopter, or gadget."
mjrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
martinsburgjeep
I is the laws

you root for the Ravens, Penn State and the Orioles, trust me when I tell you that this isn't even on the radar for idiotic in your world
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbj View Post
you root for the Ravens, Penn State and the Orioles, trust me when I tell you that this isn't even on the radar for idiotic in your world

Love you too
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrandall View Post
I'd offer him $1800 and not give more than 2k for it. Odds are it'll last for at least 40-50k more miles, but thats a risk you've got to ask yourself if you're willing to take. I'd hate to give much more than that and then have to replace the engine/tranny and spend another grand on it. If you plan on keeping it forever then it wouldn't be bad to invest it, but if you just need something else to drive then I'd keep the TJ and buy a car. I know, I know, it is what it is--its up to you.
That's a good point...and I do need something else to drive, but I can't keep the TJ and get another vehicle.
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
FreemasonJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a ten month old and haven't had any problems with him in either my TJ that I sold or my YJ that I have now. Keep the TJ.

The worst part was not being able to take off the top last summer. I think his lungs will be able to handle it this summer though.
FreemasonJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Jake03TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

My gf has a 3yr old son, he's in one of those car seat deals. It's a pain in the *** to get him in there. I make her do it...

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Major General James Mattis, USMC

"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" Thomas Jefferson
Jake03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake03TJ View Post
My gf has a 3yr old son, he's in one of those car seat deals. It's a pain in the *** to get him in there. I make her do it...
Yeah, no doubt. Plus, with mud tires, lift and soft top the thing is damn loud and shaky. I don't feel real comfortable with him riding in it. I don't want him to go deaf from riding with Daddy.
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
twobit
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Having owned our 99 Cherokee since it was new, I would not be afraid of the one that is listed in that ad, just inspect it well.

Our is at 215,000 miles and is just now beginning to need the wear items replaced that should have worn out at 50,000 to 100,000 miles. Being in PA you need to inspect VERY closely for rust.

Most expensive repair to ours is, I put on a new exhaust manifold myself. That was about a four hour job but I went slow. Ours still has the factory muffler, starter, PS pump (although steering is getting stiff), AC compressor, water pump, thermostat....

I had the brushes replaced in the alterantor for about $40. I think I will soon need new front unit bearings. Engine does not use a drop of oil. Transmission has never needed work. On the other side of the coin any vehicle can be a dog if not taken care of. 99% of all the work needed to our Cherokee has been to normal wear items, and those all lasted far longer than they should have. The luck we have had with our Cherokee was a big factor in our decision to get a TJ also.

I might add that you will miss the TJ. Our TJ is flat out Jeep Fun. The Cherokee is just another vehicle (a good one but the TJ feeling is not there).
twobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
Jake03TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPete View Post
Yeah, no doubt. Plus, with mud tires, lift and soft top the thing is damn loud and shaky. I don't feel real comfortable with him riding in it. I don't want him to go deaf from riding with Daddy.
I hear ya, an lifted XJ with mud tires will be more comfy.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Major General James Mattis, USMC

"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" Thomas Jefferson
Jake03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobit View Post
Having owned our 99 Cherokee since it was new, I would not be afraid of the one that is listed in that ad, just inspect it well.

Our is at 215,000 miles and is just now beginning to need the wear items replaced that should have worn out at 50,000 to 100,000 miles. Being in PA you need to inspect VERY closely for rust.

Most expensive repair to ours is, I put on a new exhaust manifold myself. That was about a four hour job but I went slow. Ours still has the factory muffler, starter, PS pump (although steering is getting stiff), AC compressor, water pump, thermostat....

I had the brushes replaced in the alterantor for about $40. I think I will soon need new front unit bearings. Engine does not use a drop of oil. Transmission has never needed work. On the other side of the coin any vehicle can be a dog if not taken care of. 99% of all the work needed to our Cherokee has been to normal wear items, and those all lasted far longer than they should have. The luck we have had with our Cherokee was a big factor in our decision to get a TJ also.
Good info! If I go to look at it I will definitely take all of these things into account.

I also just found this one, which seems to be a pretty good deal...
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4X4
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #13
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

that second one has pretty low miles.

my XJ had almost 300k miles on the engine and it still ran pretty strong.

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
mgramann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't worry too much about high miles if the engine has no blow-by. It is one of the first things I look for when I buy a jeep. I paid 1500 for my 98 with 185K, and it has been pretty good to me so far. No blow-by at all. It did get a radiator and PS pump the day after buying it though. I still think it was a good deal...
mgramann is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.