wish me luck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > wish me luck

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSave on Warn Winches and TENOFF Promotion!

Unread 02-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
zxrider
1995 YJ Wrangler 

wish me luck

With a little luck I can be back on the trails for under $100. This 95 yj Rio grande has been through it, as much as 33's will allow anyway. This is really the first breakdown in the woods and I was still able to drive it out to a safe place.
What happened was, I was dogging it in 3rd gear low range making my way up this hill that had no tracks out the top yet. There was a foot of snow and it had melted and refroze and was down to about 6 inches. I lost a little momentum as I was reaching the top, that's when wheel hop came into play. I was letting out of it to reduce this wheel hop but I didn't want to spin out and have to back of this slick hill that has a pretty good drop on the right hand side. So it was the wheel hop the caused the rear universal to fail. I felt it break and shut the engine off before the smoke from the transfer oil had time to bellow out. When I looked under it my heart sank. I saw the rear housing extension laying on the ground. At the time I didn't know it unbolted and thought I had busted the transfer case housing.

So like I say , with a little luck I didn't bend the main shaft of the transfer and I didn't spread the yoke on the rear end.

forumrunner_20150226_101002.jpg

forumrunner_20150226_101157.jpg

zxrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
1991YJisLife
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck! Nice looking YJ!
1991YJisLife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #3
zxrider
1995 YJ Wrangler 

All is well except for breaking a bolt in the rear yoke. 2 were bent along with a strap.
Unread 02-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If your gonna stick with that slip yoke setup, Ive got all the parts, you can have em for the price of shipping
Unread 03-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
zxrider
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Free parts? I'll take them. I'm in Kentucky, how much do you recon shipping would be?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.