winter conditions in the south - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > winter conditions in the south

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 03-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #61
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrmngchicken View Post
In areas that get a lot of snow, the ground freezes up for the winter. Snow falls, and it sticks. That's that.

Here, the ground doesn't completely freeze. Snow falls, melts, gets hit with cold winds and turns into ice. Then snow falls on the ice.

A few weeks ago, when that big storm came in, I left work in Raleigh about 2PM and didn't walk into my front door until 6:20. A typical 45 minute commute lasted me almost four and a half hours.

The problem wasn't me. That day I drove my Elantra, which had winter tires on it. The problem was people who don't know how to drive on this mess were trying to drive on roads that were iced over. 540 was a nightmare. I ended up driving on the breakdown lane because people were spinning their tires and getting sideways.

From what I have learned, it's all about low RPM and giving yourself plenty of room. Never spin your tires. it ain't a race.
All very good points, but why don't the local authorities use salt or some other traction modifier? It's been proven many times that the people will not learn

This is the first winter in at least ten years that the ground has been frozen from November through March. Over that time period it has been very common to get a few inches, then the next day it's 50 deg and melts then cold again.

Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #62
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
OHH ice ! big deal here !!! no one has to deal with ice !!!

im so ****ing sick of hearing this crap
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #63
Melissas6570
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
All very good points, but why don't the local authorities use salt or some other traction modifier? It's been proven many times that the people will not learn

This is the first winter in at least ten years that the ground has been frozen from November through March. Over that time period it has been very common to get a few inches, then the next day it's 50 deg and melts then cold again.
The towns use salt, and sand mix around here. They also pretreat the known problem areas. The state roads seem to be the issue. They dont have the resources to treat, and pretreat. The cost is another factor. I can see both sides. Why run out and spend a pile of money on trucks, and salt for the state roads, for a problem that only happens every 3 to 5 years or longer. They have other issues that could use the money in a much better way. The people need to take some responsibility for their safety. If you dont have a car/truck that can handle the conditions, or you dont feel comfortable driving in them stay home. Most all the companies here close or delay the start times for work. So its not a big deal. Most all of the companies will close early if it starts while people are at work.
Unread 03-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #64
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrmngchicken
In areas that get a lot of snow, the ground freezes up for the winter. Snow falls, and it sticks. That's that. Here, the ground doesn't completely freeze. Snow falls, melts, gets hit with cold winds and turns into ice. Then snow falls on the ice. A few weeks ago, when that big storm came in, I left work in Raleigh about 2PM and didn't walk into my front door until 6:20. A typical 45 minute commute lasted me almost four and a half hours. The problem wasn't me. That day I drove my Elantra, which had winter tires on it. The problem was people who don't know how to drive on this mess were trying to drive on roads that were iced over. 540 was a nightmare. I ended up driving on the breakdown lane because people were spinning their tires and getting sideways. From what I have learned, it's all about low RPM and giving yourself plenty of room. Never spin your tires. it ain't a race.
In Colorado your typical snow storm blows in after a warm windy day. Dumps snow at night and maybe into the day. The following day it's sunny and 40 degrees so things melt off but then freeze again at night. It's actually pretty rare that we get hard freezes. Colorado is temperate and very sunny. Last night it actually rained then froze early morning then thawed at first sunlight.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #65
02WJneedslift

I enjoy the snow. Everyone else freaks out when they hear snow is coming.

2 days before any snow even fell.

Only milk left was $7 a gallon organic stuff a couple gallon of 1% and 25 PET

Unread 03-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #66
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am not in the South but the southern Midwest so I will give my thoughts on this.

We shut down for the snow and ice like this. We are rural area but same can be said of larger areas affected like this. This isn't normal, we don't buy equipment and spend tons of money for something that only happens every ten years or less. That would be a waste of money.

The problem is dumb assess who don't watch the weather and get themselves prepared ahead of time. Stay off the roads, get a deck of cards, some movies, and take advantage of your time at home.

I finished this project with my time off:

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #67
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post

Well, can't say for other parts, but here the state threw down a bunch of brine, which didn't hold because it all got washed away the night before. The Wednesday all hell broke loose, they dumped down salt so thick it actually caused more problems than good. On I540 the salt melted the snow/ice and then it refroze after it got washed to the sides of the roads. On county roads, they didn't do anything because they assumed people would just stay inside. When I went from Wake County (they plowed and salted and the ice still came back) to Franklin County, you would have thought the roads just disappeared.

In hindsight, people simply weren't prepared. Our upper management bosses told us to head home about 2. Well, it would have been fine if they sent us out at noon. Because it came down fast. I personally got stuck one year at home. Dirt roads and a lot of snow meant even my truck couldn't make it far. I bought some winter tires, and everyone I knew laughed at me. But it made ice storms a breeze.

But back to your original question, we don't see much by way of ice and snow. It maybe snows two or three times a year, and it's gone in a few days. So having all the things necessary isn't cost effective. So it's brine, salt and plows. And that's it.

That's a pic of one of the roads I was on that day. Notice they did nothing to prep the roads...
Scrmngchicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.