winter conditions in the south - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > winter conditions in the south

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 02-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #46
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The city does not plow neighborhoods or side streets here. Plowing neighborhoods is a bad idea because the plowed snow has to go somewhere. You can't have 5 foot drifts blocking driveways...

The last week, even though we haven't gotten snow, our neighborhood was a solid 5" of pure ice and crud. Plenty of people still manage even with 2wd vehicles. Only just melted off this weekend.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #47
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
The city does not plow neighborhoods or side streets here. Plowing neighborhoods is a bad idea because the plowed snow has to go somewhere. You can't have 5 foot drifts blocking driveways.

The last week, even though we haven't gotten snow, our neighborhood was a solid 5" of pure ice and crud. Plenty of people still manage even with 2wd vehicles.
Compare drivers in CO vs Drivers in NC/SC/GA when it comes to snow and I'm willing to bet that ya'll have it just a tad better when it comes to people with common sense on how to drive in the snow It was pretty bad here.

Exhibit A: Right outside my neighborhood the other day, 4 of those cars (2 not in view) including the garbage truck were stuck. Had to get out and help push the cars out.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #48
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport
Compare drivers in CO vs Drivers in NC/SC/GA when it comes to snow and I'm willing to bet that ya'll have it just a tad better when it comes to people with common sense on how to drive in the snow It was pretty bad here.
Certainly. I just think poor road conditions due to no infrastructure for snow removal is a bad excuse. Even with the infrastructure road conditions here or any other snowing state can get very bad. Colorado is especially bad with ice because we have big temperature swings. It can hit 40/50s during the day because of the intense sun but drop well below freezing or 0 degrees at night.

Unread 02-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #49
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Certainly. I just think poor road conditions due to no infrastructure for snow removal is a bad excuse. Even with the infrastructure road conditions here or any other snowing state can get very bad. Colorado is especially bad with ice because we have big temperature swings. It can hit 40/50s during the day because of the intense sun but drop well below freezing or 0 degrees at night.
Oh I agree with you man. I'm not defending the states, just putting out there why they probably don't do it. It's stupid and unsafe not to prep for these things because as they have seen from this winter, anything can happen. We just got this snow 2 days ago and now it's going to be in the 70s this week

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 02-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #50
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Oh I agree with you man. I'm not defending the states, just putting out there why they probably don't do it. It's stupid and unsafe not to prep for these things because as they have seen from this winter, anything can happen. We just got this snow 2 days ago and now it's going to be in the 70s this week

Unread 02-18-2014, 05:27 PM   #51
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sure hope the ice storms are over with here for the year...came home from work and my Daughter and 9 year old grandson are here so they can do some laundry and take real showers instead of bird baths..lol

They been with no power for one week as of tonight....

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #52
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
Sure hope the ice storms are over with here for the year...came home from work and my Daughter and 9 year old grandson are here so they can do some laundry and take real showers instead of bird baths..lol

They been with no power for one week as of tonight....
That sucks big time.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #53
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This 80* weather sure is horrible...

Sent from my thingy using JeepForum

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #54
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
This 80* weather sure is horrible...

Sent from my thingy using JeepForum
Thas is pretty bad..but we had it worse..only around 70 today for the high,i had to wear a hoodie while riding the grandkids around on the 4 wheeler this evening since its now only around 63..brrr......

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #55
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

28f and loving it

it did get to the upper 30's the other day though , t shirt weather yeah !
Unread 03-04-2014, 05:29 AM   #56
95ZeeJay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

definitely NOT normal for Memphis!
52 Willys CJ3a: stock-ish (his)**95 ZJ Laredo 4.0: removable doors, longarm, 8.8 rear, leaks, squeaks, dents, dings, etc (ours)**03 TJ Rubicon: longarm, body lift, 33" Duratracs- SOLD**05 LJ Rubicon: stock (MINE!)
95ZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #57
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

ah, someone else who might have experienced the thundersleet. that was definitely an interesting storm.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #58
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Was 20 degrees, sleeting/raining yesterday and I was outside on the forklift for most of it. My life.

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 03-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #59
Melissas6570
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think the biggest issue with roads in the south are the people trying to drive on them. Everyone knows they don’t have the equipment to remove the snow in like up north. I have lived in NC, AL and FL. Oh and no FL never have a problem. LOL But in NC we had a freak 26 inches snow and the only thing you could do was stay at home for a couple of days. Also people need to stop placing all the blame on the state. Last time I checked weather maps were available online, on TV, etc. If you can’t look at one and go hmmm it looks like it could snow or have ice, you deserve to get stuck. I don’t know of any company around here that would not let an employee go home early, under those conditions. So I can’t see the blame being place on just the states. People in the south should know better. Oh and one other thing I did not get was on the news from GA I saw all kinds of 4X4's stuck in the gridlock. That to me is just stupid. I would cut across the median and go the other direction, get a hotel room or something before I sat for 14 hours.

Let do another thread around July or August when all the northern states are engulfed in a heat wave, with temp over 100, and discuss all the stupid stuff from up that direction.
Unread 03-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #60
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

In areas that get a lot of snow, the ground freezes up for the winter. Snow falls, and it sticks. That's that.

Here, the ground doesn't completely freeze. Snow falls, melts, gets hit with cold winds and turns into ice. Then snow falls on the ice.

A few weeks ago, when that big storm came in, I left work in Raleigh about 2PM and didn't walk into my front door until 6:20. A typical 45 minute commute lasted me almost four and a half hours.

The problem wasn't me. That day I drove my Elantra, which had winter tires on it. The problem was people who don't know how to drive on this mess were trying to drive on roads that were iced over. 540 was a nightmare. I ended up driving on the breakdown lane because people were spinning their tires and getting sideways.

From what I have learned, it's all about low RPM and giving yourself plenty of room. Never spin your tires. it ain't a race.
Scrmngchicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.