winter conditions in the south - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > winter conditions in the south

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #31
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

We got 2-3" of solid ice, think of what builds up in a freezer that's exactly what we got then 2-3" or snow on top of the ice.

Plus we had an earthquake today.

In two weeks we have had snow, ice, down pour's, temps in the teens and in the sixties, and an earthquake.

And for northerners when they get a heat wave north of 100f and I read about people in Chicago and NY killing over I scratch my head, I grew up in a house in Atlanta with no AC and it is 90f+ from June to September with humidity so bad you can see the air,and the temps regularly over 100f.

Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:46 AM   #32
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
People will claim that it costs some astronomical amount, but never mention the cost offset. How much does an area lose when it shuts down for a day or two?
How much does it cost to throw some salt spreaders on already owned trucks?
What you may not know is that there are private contractors, typically landscaping or construction companies, that are bolting on their snow plows and salt spreaders as well to make some dough. The City of Knoxville did an excellent job this time with their plows and trucks and this was the heaviest snow we have had since the Blizzard of '93. We also got 3" on that first snow that paralyzed Atlanta and we never missed a beat.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #33
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
Who are they going to sue? The one person that died slipped on a sidewalk. The other person that died actually wrecked their car near me. You couldn't tell what kind of car it was and witnesses say the car was driving way to fast and actually passing people on a two lane road. Both could have been prevented but not by anyone other than themselves.

But like I said, break out your checkbook and put your money where your mouth is. If not go tell their families you were to cheap to do so.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #34
Bier_bitte

It looks like he was drunk when he wrote that
Bier_bitte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #35
Bier_bitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj
So, you will let us know of all the successful lawsuits that come out of Atlanta from the past snow storm?
Unread 02-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #36
Bier_bitte

I reviewed your posts, no idea what your trying to say. You can blame the local government for only so much, it's up to the individual to prepare for the worst. But hey, keep calling people morons, seems to be working for you.
Unread 02-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #37
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

yup
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #38
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post

Who are they going to sue? The one person that died slipped on a sidewalk.
You'd be surprised, slip and fall accidents are very common and if the person wants to push it the property owner, maintenance company or person can be held liable if it was proven they failed to provide due diligence. This is one of the reasons a lot of contractors keep records of time, date, temperature, amount of snow on site, time on site and whether or not it was treated with salt. Some will even record ground temperature just to be more thorough.
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:48 AM   #39
chowner
2014 WK 

You southerns don't listen to this guy yapping that everything is roses when there's 6" of snow up here. Just last week I could have taken a picture similar to the one coming out of NC after it snowed roughly 6". Society as a whole is dicked.
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #40
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw View Post

You'd be surprised, slip and fall accidents are very common and if the person wants to push it the property owner, maintenance company or person can be held liable if it was proven they failed to provide due diligence. This is one of the reasons a lot of contractors keep records of time, date, temperature, amount of snow on site, time on site and whether or not it was treated with salt. Some will even record ground temperature just to be more thorough.
Yes, I know that but where taking about cities and state, not private property.

Unread 02-16-2014, 07:03 AM   #41
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner View Post
You southerns don't listen to this guy yapping that everything is roses when there's 6" of snow up here. Just last week I could have taken a picture similar to the one coming out of NC after it snowed roughly 6". Society as a whole is dicked.
We don't, I was trapped in Alexandria VA/DC with only 4" of snow. It took 2 days to get the roads in a drivable condition. Here in two days its gone.

Unread 02-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #42
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Winter storm watch for today, 9am to 9 pm. Snowfall rates possibly reaching 2-3" per hour.

Nothing closes, nothing slows down, business as usual
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #43
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

High 60's today,sunny...

High 70's rest of the week sunny/partly cloudy

I had to put on a long sleave shirt this mornin for work

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #44
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Winter storm watch for today, 9am to 9 pm. Snowfall rates possibly reaching 2-3" per hour.

Nothing closes, nothing slows down, business as usual
Once again, states prepared for it vs states not prepared for it.

These states don't prepare for it most likely because they see so little of it every winter that it doesn't matter. This winter was a special one for the southern states so maybe it knocked some sense into them.

MD got snow/ice EVERY winter and every time I saw plows lined up on the side of the road ready to go. If it's one good thing the county i lived in wasted money on, it was winter storm prep. Even when MD was prepared for all of that stuff, they still closed stuff down. Better to be safe than sorry. I'd rather **** close and I still get paid for missing work than having to be on the road with all the retards that can't drive in it. Now if you wanna talk **** about school and stuff closing when it got SUPER cold earlier this winter then I'm with you. I went to school regardless of temp when I was a kid and was standing at the bus stop at 6 am with sometimes a -5/-10 windchill (that's cold for MD lol)

Down here, they plow the main streets after the snow is down and that's it. A lot of people still couldn't get out of their neighborhoods because the never got touched.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #45
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No one can prep for snow falling at that rate.
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.