winter conditions in the south - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > winter conditions in the south

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
Bier_bitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooneys08JK
Seriously? I would guess the entire eastern seaboard from Florida to Maine highly disagrees with your statement.
Over a tropical storm? In Florida, if it's not at least a Cat 2, there's no real reason to worry.

Bier_bitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #17
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think it's about to get real here in Knoxvegas. We're not quite as bad as the folks in Atlanta but there is still cause for concern.

As far as the South being a bunch of "sissies" due to the low temps and 1" of snow (which is actually ice BTW), probably. But like said before, we see this stuff once a winter or even less frequently.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #18
fillerup
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's all in where you are from, the weather they are having down south would only make me about 10 minutes late for work. No big deal.

But..............when it hits 90+ degrees up here I think I'm going to die!
fillerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #19
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
we see this stuff once a winter or even less frequently.
wouldnt that be often enough to invest in some preventative measures instead of risking lives, shutting down schools, businesses, roads, etc?
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #20
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post

wouldnt that be often enough to invest in some preventative measures instead of risking lives, shutting down schools, businesses, roads, etc?
We don't see it that often, the last time we had a snow/ice storm that shut things down was 4 years ago and when we do have a storm it typically last 1-2 days, not weeks or all winter. Why would we spend millions of dollars to buy and maintain the equipment? Nah, we'll just take the day off.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #21
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just watching the news, looks like Atlanta learned its lesson, but there neighbors to the north in Charlotte havent. it doesnt take a whole lot of common sense to stay home when the news calls for ice, But then again, there are people here in the north that go out in an ice / snow storm too. We are expecting about a foot tomorrow, not supposed to hit until after morning rush hour, But guarantee the afternoon, there will be ding dongs sitting in a line of traffic.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #22
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
We don't see it that often, the last time we had a snow/ice storm that shut things down was 4 years ago and when we do have a storm it typically last 1-2 days, not weeks or all winter. Why would we spend millions of dollars to buy and maintain the equipment? Nah, we'll just take the day off.
say that to the families of the people who died because of the epic cluster **** situations that happen during your snowday
Unread 02-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #23
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #24
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You should direct your comments to the politicians who control funding for that...I don't need convincing.

I'm just giving insight from a person who lives down here.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #25
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I see it as a lack of common sense. Sure, people in the north are used to it and have experience and the states are prepared for it. That's why it doesn't impede things to much here. But lack of preparedness and experience is not an excuse for stupidity and being upside down in a ditch.

It's like if a hurricane hit an inland state (obviously impossible by definition), but people living inland don't have a lot or any experience with hurricanes, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid and if a hurricane did occur I'm not going to go stand outside in the middle of it looking up at the sky wondering what is going on. Again, just common sense.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #26
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
say that to the families of the people who died because of the epic cluster **** situations that happen during your snowday

What's your point? People die up north and they are prepared. Two people died, one slipped on a sidewalk and not sure about the other. The sidewalk could have prevented it themselves without wasting tax dollars. I feel for their families but still not willing to waste millions and millions of dollars to buy and maintain equipment that will sit and rust because it will never be used.

Guess how many died two weeks ago when we had the disaster that the uniformed in the country are laughing about? Zero!

But since we're talking about emotions here and not common sense, feel free to break out your checkbook and I'll send you the address of where to send your money.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #27
Bier_bitte

Huh?

Last edited by Ironworker709; 02-16-2014 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: thread cleanup
Bier_bitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #28
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think what you are all "missing" is its NOT the snow..its the ice storms..i'm from up north and welcome snow..but ice storms cause power outages and unsafe driving conditions no matter where you ever lived or live..

I've lived in Ga now for 14 years..seen 2 accounts with just snow..but many ice storms that cause power lines down and outages for days at a time..people die in houses that are below freezing because they have no backup generators or even if they do,the local gas stations are closed due to no power so no way of gettin fuel for the generators..

Driving on ice?..PALEASE..again..i'm from up north..and not matter who you are..you are not going to drive well at all..or at all..for that matter on a sheet of ice from an ice storm..i lived up there and they shut things down just as fast as they do here in the south in ice storms

And yes..people down here panic in wintery weather....as said..they rarely get any so they are not used to it and do not know how to handle it...

I also know many from up north who have came to work for me on crews in the summer down here and left back north the first week of work after having to work in 100+ weather and thats just the temp in the shade,not in the sun...

I worked many a jobs up north that they shut jobs down because it was in the 90's..lol..wussies

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #29
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I understand ice storms, they can be brutal. So why not be ready with salt? It happens often enough and there is usually a decent amount of warning.

People will claim that it costs some astronomical amount, but never mention the cost offset. How much does an area lose when it shuts down for a day or two?
How much does it cost to throw some salt spreaders on already owned trucks?
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #30
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I understand ice storms, they can be brutal. So why not be ready with salt? It happens often enough and there is usually a decent amount of warning.

People will claim that it costs some astronomical amount, but never mention the cost offset. How much does an area lose when it shuts down for a day or two?
How much does it cost to throw some salt spreaders on already owned trucks?
I can see both ways of the cost effective point...

Up north its a common thing to use in the winter months so it's readily available all over,and plenty of dry storage buildings it's kept at and distributed...
Not so in the south..so they would probably have to spend tons of money to have it shipped in and plus have dry storage for it to use when needed..

One of the other issues when it comes to the ice storms...they don't trim trees and branches around their powerlines down here through country roads and power line paveways like they do up north ....another one of the "cost effective deals" ...when a politition brings up something along the lines of spending a boatload of money to trim those trees better and have a good supply of back up salt for icy conditions compared to them wanting a newly paved road...or even a new road..the county house remodeled or added onto..etc etc..which way do you think is going to win the vote?...most people could care less about things like that if it doesn';t effect them at the moment or very much each year..they'd rather have that new public swimming pool for the summer..or that new state public access to the river or lake for summer fishing and boating..lol.

Everytime one of these ice storms hit,me n a few buddies gather up our chainsaws,,trailers n such and go out all over our area and help people with fallens trees and branches on thier homes or yards..we always have a bunch of cheap tarps on hand for older folks or helpless people who have roof damage on their homes to temporarily keep them from getting soaked and worse water damage.
We get alot of money offers..but never take it..heck..we get free firewood for the guys who have fireplaces with the hardwood..and all the pine wood we take to a place that schools and helps people with autism learn trades and crafts..they use it for crafts and log furniture.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.