winter conditions in the south - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > winter conditions in the south

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 02-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

winter conditions in the south

Anyone else feel people are being big sissys for fearing the low temps in the upper 20's and less than an inch of snow?

Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

While we think they're crazy for shutting down the state for conditions in the 20's and a few flurries, remember, they aren't used to it. I imagine people in Alaska think we're crazy for freaking out about -15F and a foot of snow!

That being said, I'm looking forward to the upper 20's here in Springfield tomorrow!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

It's not the snow. It's the idiots that cause the problems.
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Our states aren't as prepared for this stuff as you are. So a few inches of snow/ice is hell for people down here. I'm from MD so I'm used to it but getting around the people not used to it is a pain.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Our states aren't as prepared for this stuff as you are. So a few inches of snow/ice is hell for people down here. I'm from MD so I'm used to it but getting around the people not used to it is a pain.
That's another thing I don't get, they have pick up trucks, right? It isn't that hard to attach a salt spreader, plus the ground isn't frozen. It seems Luke this same thing happens every few years and people always say they arnt prepped, seems like some proactive thinking could save a lot of hassle

A lot of times it snows for a few hours before streets get plowed and we have no problems with 6" of snow on frozen ground
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
That's another thing I don't get, they have pick up trucks, right? It isn't that hard to attach a salt spreader, plus the ground isn't frozen. It seems Luke this same thing happens every few years and people always say they arnt prepped, seems like some proactive thinking could save a lot of hassle

A lot of times it snows for a few hours before streets get plowed and we have no problems with 6" of snow on frozen ground

Im not disagreeing with ya. Wish the states would fund a little more towards storm prep so they don't deal with this every year. DC was the same way, a little bit of snow or ice and that city shuts down even though they get it EVERY year.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
Bier_bitte

You guys in the North freak out over a little tropical storm, we throw a party.
Bier_bitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Being from Chicago my first reaction is to blast everyone around here for freakig out. But think about it, there are GENERATIONS of people here who have not seen snow. It would be like me prepping for a hurricane back in CHI. On the surface it seems like a "duh why wouldn't you prep for this" situation but if you actually think about it, why would you?
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
Snowplow
2003 TJ Wrangler 

People freak out everywhere over weather. I have lived in the north, south, and east. i think its just funny to hear and see people fall apart over a little weather.
Snowplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #10
mtennwj
2000 WJ 

People down here freak out when it snows and in Iowa where my family is from freak out when it's above 100 degrees kids here get out of school for snow and up there they get out for a heat wave because there is no ac in the school

But I get to lay down asphalt in 105 degrees from May thru early september
Unread 02-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #11
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
While we think they're crazy for shutting down the state for conditions in the 20's and a few flurries, remember, they aren't used to it. I imagine people in Alaska think we're crazy for freaking out about -15F and a foot of snow!

That being said, I'm looking forward to the upper 20's here in Springfield tomorrow!

^ others in iowa are less ... ovarian about weather

a foot of snow is the normal iowa winter big storm and day after a snow air temp -15 , so is 100 in the summer. throw 80 or so tornados a year in and youve got the best place there is to ... um ...

try living 40 miles away from civilization with those conditions and you will get use to it after your pantys un bunch
Unread 02-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #12
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It just amazes me that people are unprepared enough to fight over a loaf of bread... like a winter storm causes all food to disappear for a week? Ever heard of canned ravioli?

http://twitchy.com/2014/02/10/atlant...lypse-ii-pics/

Imagine if there was a carrington event or EMP...
Unread 02-12-2014, 04:57 AM   #13
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post

^ others in iowa are less ... ovarian about

a foot of snow is the normal iowa winter big storm and day after a snow air temp -15 , so is 100 in the summer. throw 80 or so tornados a year in and youve got the best place there is to ... um ...

try living 40 miles away from civilization with those conditions and you will get use to it after your pantys un bunch
No bunched panties here. We deal with similar conditions as you describe. I'm just pointing out that a 'bad storm' is all relative to your location...

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 05:52 AM   #14
95ZeeJay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

problem is it's hard to predict what it's gonna do down here. We haven't had this much snow this frequently in YEARS. They're getting better about putting salt/sand/brine on the roads ahead of time but snow just doesn't happen enough for folks to get used to driving in it. Hell it's sleeting right now with very little warning. I have a front wheel drive car and I know to take it easy, but I see people in pickup trucks passing me on the highway at 50mph and then see them in a ditch a half mile up the road.

On the bright side a lot of folks in my Jeep club usually make a few bucks in tips by pulling people out of ditches every time there's snow on the ground. They don't ask for money and they refuse to take any from someone with kids in the car, but it's kind of a good example to the community of how folks with big giant Jeeps aren't all destructive a-holes.
52 Willys CJ3a: stock-ish (his)**95 ZJ Laredo 4.0: removable doors, longarm, 8.8 rear, leaks, squeaks, dents, dings, etc (ours)**03 TJ Rubicon: longarm, body lift, 33" Duratracs- SOLD**05 LJ Rubicon: stock (MINE!)
95ZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bier_bitte View Post
You guys in the North freak out over a little tropical storm, we throw a party.
Seriously? I would guess the entire eastern seaboard from Florida to Maine highly disagrees with your statement.

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.