Windows 7 Upgrade Help! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Windows 7 Upgrade Help!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-21-2010, 02:03 AM   #16
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoo View Post
hmm? you bought the upgrade disk when you're going from XP to 7?
Yep, and I'm up and running. Backed up the drive, and then did the easy transfer of my old files while I was at work tonight. Got home, stuck the 64 bit install disk in the drive, and booted from the disk. It installed remarkably fast (much faster than XP, by more than an hour.) I do, of course, have to reinstall all of my old programs, but I wanted to do that anyway (it's been awhile since I've cleaned up my system.) Now I'm waiting for the easy transfer to put all of my old files back on the disk.

I also put a better video card and finally ditched my 19" CRT monitor for a 23" LED.

jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #17
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked99 View Post
My printer is fairly new so I think it will work. Why do you say you should have done 32 bit?
Unless I run some really powerful apps that needs more than 2GB of RAM it is essentially useless so the 32bit version would have been fine. Also drivers are easier to find since most Vista drivers will work in the Win7 OPSYS as I undertand it.....on the other hand eventually everything will be written for a 64bit OPSYS.

Thus far my old scanner won't work but new scanners are so cheap who cares. But my Adobe photoshop will not work in the 64bit environment and that hurt.....a lot.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #18
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrok View Post
Windows 7 is the best operating system to come out of Redmond in my opinion. The 64bit version is faster, but harder to find drivers for everything.

It's almost good enough to keep me from booting into my Linux partition... NOT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman View Post
I'm starting my install right now. XP to Win7x64. I got the upgrade disk from Newegg.
I went from xp pro to win7 64 bit. I run a clean fast machine adding nothing unless necessary. WIN7 is fast compared to xp. It has a fresh look and once you get the feel for it it becomes quite user friendly. I also got my WIN7 from newegg.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
johnniebravo
2008 WK 

If you are having trouble with drivers for win7 64 bit, use vista 64bit drivers. They work fine. I used all vista 64 drivers on my windows server 2008 R2 build and all of them worked absolutely fine. In fact, I am still using a few of them despite new drivers being out.

BTW, server 2008 R2 is free to students via www.dreamspark.com. If you want a basic load with no fluff, this is it. My machine is running flawless as a workstation. The only catch is you'll need edit some programs to work on a server....and you'll need a server anti-virus.
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

If your machine is running Vista 64 perfectly well (and my workstation is), is there anything to be gained from switching to 7?
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #21
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki View Post
If your machine is running Vista 64 perfectly well (and my workstation is), is there anything to be gained from switching to 7?
Actually no not right now. As long as MS supports Vista I would say you are good to go. I decided to go with WIN7 because my new laptop has WIN7 so I figured I would move up to WIN 7 on the desk top from XP pro.
The only driver I won't find is one for my old scanner and that is no big deal. In time it may get a driver written for it. I haven't looked for a VISTA driver for it yet but there may be one. I'll check it out when I get some time.....and I remember!

Unread 01-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #22
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If it runs fine then no, 7 isn't going to make you nerdgasm. The only major difference I've noticed is that 7 uses slightly less RAM than Vista. It's basically Vista Lite otherwise.

I miss Hold 'Em and Dreamscape though.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #23
TJ311
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd have to highly disagree. Windows 7 changes many many things to make for a much better user experience. It's MUCH snappier on the front end. I'm a Support Analyst and I've upgraded a few people in our organization to Vista (per their request, not mine) which gave myself and the customer many issues. When 7 was released, I didn't hesitate upgrading them to 7 and have not heard a peep from them since. These were all clean installs. I'm no fan boy but Windows 7 is definitely a fantastic product from MS. Worth the upgrade.

EDIT: I'll also add that it is usually worth the extra money and time to purchase a full install version rather than an upgrade if you can spring for it. Just my opinion though.
TJ311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #24
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ311 View Post

EDIT: I'll also add that it is usually worth the extra money and time to purchase a full install version rather than an upgrade if you can spring for it. Just my opinion though.
Why? I did a full install from the upgrade disk, and saved about 1/2 off the price of the full install disk. I had no problems activating Windows 7 first time. I don't need the old copy of XP for anything, my laptop came with XP (I did the Win 7 upgrade on my desktop.)
Unread 01-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #25
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman View Post
Why? I did a full install from the upgrade disk, and saved about 1/2 off the price of the full install disk. I had no problems activating Windows 7 first time. I don't need the old copy of XP for anything, my laptop came with XP (I did the Win 7 upgrade on my desktop.)
Indeed, it's my experience that upgrade disks simply ask you to verify the existence of the old one but you can perform a totally clean install.

I might still order a copy of Windows 7 just for the hell of it, but I'm in no rush.

I ordered a nice modular power supply, so I'm looking forward to getting that, the one I have has all kinds of stupid extra wires everywhere, I need to clean that **** up.
Unread 01-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #26
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Funny how everyone wants the 64bit edition when 99.9% of people can't even tell the diffrence between the 32 and 64 bit versions. For me, I'll stick with Linux and keep telling Microsoft to shove it!
Unread 01-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #27
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymudder10 View Post
Funny how everyone wants the 64bit edition when 99.9% of people can't even tell the diffrence between the 32 and 64 bit versions. For me, I'll stick with Linux and keep telling Microsoft to shove it!
We are going to 64 bit now, knowing that it is the future of operating systems. More software will be written for 64 bit OS's in the coming years. I used XP for 8 years, I expect to use Win 7 the same period of time (I skip generations of OS, I had Win 98, XP and now 7, skipped 2000/ME and Vista.) The next version of Windows probably won't even have a 32 bit version. Besides, I wanted the use of all 4GB of memory I have in my system.
Unread 01-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #28
tjwoo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymudder10 View Post
you're so hip with your hip ways. you hip person you
tjwoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #29
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Cool, at least you skipped the bad versions, as for me, I do plan on installing the 64bit version of Ubuntu eventually. Maybe when I buy a new computer.
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #30
TJ311
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't do upgrades but if that's how it works with just verifying the old key, then I could understand doing it.

As for the 32 vs 64, you're right, most won't know the difference. Unless you run a lot of VM's. I was given a MacPro at work and put Win 7 64 bit on it(exclusively). 2 Core 2 Quads and 8GB RAM runs all the VMs I need.
TJ311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.