Windows 7 Upgrade Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Windows 7 Upgrade Help!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Stoked99
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Windows 7 Upgrade Help!

This is for the computer guys -

I'm getting ready to buy Windows 7 (Microsoft offers 7 Professional for $65 to college students) and I have a couple questions.

1. From what I've gathered, my wanting to go from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit 7 will require a clean install - that's fine. My question is, when I purchase the upgrade, it's a download. Can I do a clean install with a downloaded version?

2. They have an option of paying an extra $13 to get the disk. Should I just do that and wait for my disk to come in and then do a clean install?

Thanks for any help!

Vice President - Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club
'98 2.5L - RC 2.5 - 33's - Beach Cruiser

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines" - Enzo Ferrari
Stoked99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
tjwoo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Windows website has full instructions on how to do a full install via download. I did mine via download, it's just a tiny bit more complicated to do it this way.

Download it , download the bootdisk maker(via windows website), make a bootdisk on to a dvd or flash drive(4gb+). Remember to write down the key. and voila.
The flash drive will have to be formatted so, make sure you back up all the things on the flash drive before you do so.
tjwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

You can do a clean install with the upgrade disc. If for some reason the downloaded version doesn't work like that, I have an image you can burn to a DVD, or I could mail you a disc.
Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Too bad you missed out on them selling it for $29.95, they did that up till January 5th.

You WILL need the disk to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. I ran into this a couple weeks ago doing the same thing from 32 bit XP to 64 bit 7.

Now, they do offer you the option of downloading a .ISO file, which is the disk image that you can burn to a blank DVD, but I really recommend getting the actual windows disk. Back up everything you need off your hard drive, put in the install disk, restart your computer, and boot from the disk. It'll detect that you already have windows (which is necessary for your upgrade key to work), and begin a clean install to 64 bit.

You will not be able to go from 32 bit to 64 bit with the .EXE download, so make sure you use the .ISO if you're going to just go with the download. But again, the actual windows disk for the extra $13 eliminates the possibility of a damaged download or disk burn, so I would go with that.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Stoked99
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Considering I have next to no computer skills, it sounds like my best bet is just to spend an extra $13 to get the disk, correct?

and yeah 88thpianoman, I'm pretty bummed I missed that $30 deal. Oh well.

Unread 01-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked99 View Post
Considering I have next to no computer skills, it sounds like my best bet is just to spend an extra $13 to get the disk, correct?

and yeah 88thpianoman, I'm pretty bummed I missed that $30 deal. Oh well.
Definitely get the disk, then. Also when two years down the road you need to reinstall or boot from the disk or do anything else that requires it, you have the disk already.

When you purchase it, they will email you the product key. They do not give you a product key with the disk. Do yourself a favor and write the product key on the disk sleeve. You will more than likely eventually need it.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The other issues are drivers with 64 bit upgrade, unless all your printers, scanners etc are fairly new and drivers are available. Then you need an email program since none is bundled with WIN7.

I just did a WIN7 64bit install on my desk top PC. I should have went with the 32bit version. FWIW I bought it from Newegg ($104.99) and waited for the disc to arrive in the mail.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Stoked99
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
The other issues are drivers with 64 bit upgrade, unless all your printers, scanners etc are fairly new and drivers are available. Then you need an email program since none is bundled with WIN7.

I just did a WIN7 64bit install on my desk top PC. I should have went with the 32bit version. FWIW I bought it from Newegg ($104.99) and waited for the disc to arrive in the mail.
My printer is fairly new so I think it will work. Why do you say you should have done 32 bit?

Unread 01-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

His hardware probably wasn't up to snuff or it didn't have adequate 64-bit driver support (mfg's fault, not the OS's). Sometimes even big-name companies are extremely lazy in writing 64-bit drivers and even then they usually never make it past beta stage. If you are building your own system these days, there's no reason not to go 64-bit. RAM is stupidly cheap so 4GB should be your minimum and even multi-core CPU's are reasonably priced for the obscene amounts of workload they can handle. Try doing that in a 32-bit environment and you're going to hit a performance ceiling much sooner.

I built my current 64-bit system around x64 Vista two years ago and it still destroys anything I can throw at it.
PhilipJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

how does everyone like windows 7? I want to do a clean install of it on my laptop over the summer.
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

I have to say I like Windows 7 WAAYYY better than Vista. I like the way it looks too. Its clean, simple. And it has alot of customizable options if you can find where they put everything.

There is a learning curve associated with it, but once you get used to it you'll find that it works better. It seems faster, and it also has better support for the future of nonvolatile storage: solid state disks.

I have 0 regrets about moving from Vista to it. And if I had XP, I would have moved from it to 7 in a heartbeat. I've been running it since it was available in stores (EDIT: Actually, since it was a RC) and have yet to experience a BSOD. It has alot of cool little features too. For instance, instead of having a "Recent Documents" list in your start menu like in XP and Vista, if you have any recently used programs (which you will if your messing with various documents) it will show a little arrow next to the program name in the start menu and you can click that arrow and it will show all of the documents you have opened recently with that program. And you can open them from there too. Mine doesn't seem to be doing it at the moment though... I think I turned something off and now it won't do it, hahaha.

I like it much better than Vista, it feels faster, cleaner.
TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
tjwoo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGJB View Post
how does everyone like windows 7? I want to do a clean install of it on my laptop over the summer.
Windows wise, very impressive. I never had vista so I can't say much about transition from there. I had the beta win7 (ultimate) since early last year, and release since well release (professional).

Simple, fast, customizable and generally unbogged. I'm sure crashes and bugs are to come, but so far so good.
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #13
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Windows 7 is the best operating system to come out of Redmond in my opinion. The 64bit version is faster, but harder to find drivers for everything.

It's almost good enough to keep me from booting into my Linux partition... NOT!
Unread 01-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #14
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

I'm starting my install right now. XP to Win7x64. I got the upgrade disk from Newegg.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #15
tjwoo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman View Post
I'm starting my install right now. XP to Win7x64. I got the upgrade disk from Newegg.
hmm? you bought the upgrade disk when you're going from XP to 7?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.