Windows 10 free? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Windows 10 free?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!

Unread 06-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
Muddeprived

Windows 10 free?

So there's this little windows icon at the bottom right of my screen that I've never seen there before. I clicked on it and got this window that stating Windows 10 is free and I can reserve the upgrade.

I run windows 7 and in dire need of a reinstall. I usually reinstall windows every year to keep the system clean and running smoothly but my gamer PC did not come with the disk. I was going to buy windows 7 from Amazon but then I get this message box telling me about the free Windows 10.

Should I get 10? Think we'll be able to go back to 7 if we dislike it?

Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2015, 02:58 AM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Yeap, Microsoft is offering Win10 at no charge for authorized Win 7 users for about a month or so. I did catch on that deal, we'll see how Win10 is. It's supposed to be way better than Win8 or Win 8.1 - which both were massive flops IMO - and most likely the worst Windows products since Windows XP & Vista

If you've got your Win 7 installation disc, there's nothing that stops you from going back to it.. format operating system hard drive segment, and re-install Win 7

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2015, 03:47 AM   #3
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Yeap, Microsoft is offering Win10 at no charge for authorized Win 7 users for about a month or so. I did catch on that deal, we'll see how Win10 is. It's supposed to be way better than Win8 or Win 8.1 - which both were massive flops IMO - and most likely the worst Windows products since Windows XP & Vista

If you've got your Win 7 installation disc, there's nothing that stops you from going back to it.. format operating system hard drive segment, and re-install Win 7
That's the problem. My computer didnt come with the windows 7 OS disc.
Unread 06-03-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

How did you get 7 then?
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
Muddeprived

It came pre-installed on my gamer PC.
Unread 06-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
It came pre-installed on my gamer PC.
Laptop or desktop? Did it come with the product key stamp glued somewhere to the computer (often on the bottom of a laptop, or backpanel of a desktop unit)?

Usually if it's any of the "bigger-name" unit, and/or has the operating system pre- installed, there is a possibility to create a backup CD or DVD that has the operating system installation files etc. in it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2015, 09:02 AM   #7
Muddeprived

Quote:
Laptop or desktop? Did it come with the product key stamp glued somewhere to the computer (often on the bottom of a laptop, or backpanel of a desktop unit)?

Usually if it's any of the "bigger-name" unit, and/or has the operating system pre- installed, there is a possibility to create a backup CD or DVD that has the operating system installation files etc. in it.
It's an ibuypower gamer pc. It does have the product key glued to the right side of the tower.
Unread 06-04-2015, 05:12 AM   #8
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

As long as you have the product key you can legally reinstall 7. My bro in law bought two systems from I-buy. They load the image to a partition on the hard disk but you can DL a copy of the OS if you reformatted. Contact the support for i-buy and they can send you the link.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
RedZJ
Taste Like Chicken

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Windows normally releases 1 bad flop, before releasing a good one. They listen to the feedback. I think Windows10 will be great. I used it during tech/beta testing. It runs a lot smoother and more friendly then win8
Unread 06-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZJ View Post
Windows normally releases 1 bad flop, before releasing a good one. They listen to the feedback. I think Windows10 will be great. I used it during tech/beta testing. It runs a lot smoother and more friendly then win8
Does it still have classic view?
Unread 06-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You shouldn't need a W7 disk. If you already have 7 legitimately installed you'll upgrade to W10 for free and you'll likely get a W10 key. The key is the object of value, Microsoft makes ISOs freely available that allow you to run Windows for 30 days before needing activation (with a key).

I was a Windows 7 hold out, skipped 8/8.1. I've been using the Windows 10 Technical Preview for a couple months now on my daily desktop and really like it. I definitely recommend anyone still on 7 to upgrade to 10 for free. Also the free upgrade window is 1 year.
Unread 06-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #12
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
That's the problem. My computer didnt come with the windows 7 OS disc.
Usually it will be on the manufacturer's backup/recovery disc.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #13
jeepnoob2000
2000 WJ 

if I'm not mistaken, there is a way to save Win7 install files onto a USB drive, if Win7 is currently already installed. I have Win8, (refuse to upgrade to 8.1 because it screws everything up big time) but I have already saved Win8 OS install files onto a USB drive incase I need to use it in the future. At least, I am under the impression that that's what I did...
Unread 06-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #14
mr312712
SPEED FREAK V8 FOR LIFE.

2004 WJ 

Yep I did It about a month ago, but I still love my Windows 8.
04 WJ Overland 4.7 H.O. Inferno Red AWD/4WD
mr312712 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #15
zander21510
Retro Tech Master

1995 ZJ 

As a tech guy, I'm gonna have a busy august upgrading all my family's machines to 10...I've been an "insider" for a while now and have the preview version on my laptop. Looks and runs great for the most part, once they bake out some of the stability bugs it'll be a great upgrade over 7 or 8/8.1.

And finally they fixed the search...the thing I hated most about 8/8.1 was how damn slow it was to search programs, which became a necessity with that stupid start screen. it's lightning fast again like it was with Windows 7
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.