Winch for self-recovery? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Winch for self-recovery?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 02-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Winch for self-recovery?

Through a combination of my own *******ery and crappy Vermont winter weather, I usually get stuck at least a couple times per year. I don't like calling people to pull me out and so I've been thinking more about buying a winch for self-recovery. I have a few wonderances about that, though.

Usually winches are mounted on the front of the vehicle (granted, they are usually not for self-recovery, but that aside). Well, usually if I go off the road, I am going forward at the time. So what good is the winch when I'm stuck nose-first? Is there a way around that without mounting a second winch in the rear?

What if I have nothing to hook onto? I've thought of carrying around some stakes and a sledge hammer so as to possibly anchor myself when nothing else is around, but I'm not sure if that would be feasible, especially considering that generally my need for self-recovery coincides with frozen ground and an amplitude of snow.

Lastly, does anyone have any recommendations for a decent, reasonably priced winch suitable for recovering a stock '03 Wrangler?

Thanks in advance.

TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
tail_chaser
1994 XJ Cherokee 

They make winch brackets for a reciever so you can have it in front or back.
Unread 02-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
joe's_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

you can have a hitch mounted winch. where the winch is mounted on the receiver and you have a hitch on the front and rear of the jeep. you put the winch where you need it. if theres nothing around for you to winch off of, theres a thing called a pull pal i believe is the name. basically its like a boat anchor that digs into the ground so you can winch out. A cheap but good winch would be the smitty bilt xr8 i think is the name, theres a review on here of it. its 300 dollars, this is the cheapest one around but should do fine. or you can move up to warn winches if you have the money. These are way nicer. hope this helps let me know if you have anymore questions
The cheapest way to get a significant power increase over a stock 2.5l, would be to pull it out and put in a 5hp briggs & stratton engine.
joe's_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
1000000to1
2000 WJ 

Everytime I'm stuck by myself there is nothing to hook to, however if I would build an anchor that would solve that!
Canadian Jeep Club Member #18
Black Jeep Club Member #2002
1000000to1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
cmotsvt

Winch Buddy solves that problem, if you have to you can bury a spare tire in the ground attatched to a strap.

Last edited by cmotsvt; 02-14-2008 at 08:17 AM..
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #6
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Pull Pal is one of the best things out there.
On the other hand, It is usually best to go out wheeling with somebody else.
Getting stuck is one thing, being injured is a totally different one, and potentially dangerous if you have no way to call for help.
And as mentioned before, the receiver winches are good too, just make sure you are not buried to your armpits before you decide to get the winch out from the front mount, or you might also need a snorkel.
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
cmotsvt

Yeah pull pal whas what I was thinking about, not winch buddy.
Senior moment there.
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
BadAddetude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I heard that you can take your spare and a hi-lift and use that as a recovery point. Put the hi-lift through the rim and bury it. I guess if the grounds frozen you aren't digging though...
1995 YJ: 4.0, 700R4, 231 C/J case, TeraFlex SS SYE/CV shaft, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 136 Amp Alternator, Trans Cooler, Pavement Ends Flip-top/H-T, 2'' BDS Suspension Lift, MORE 5/8' Greasables, Sony GT-210 Xplode Head.

Under the Knife! See the build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/badaddetudes-build-project-hrp-602142/
BadAddetude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotsvt View Post
Winch Buddy solves that problem, if you have to you can bury a spare tire in the ground attatched to a strap.
Can someone explain how to do this?
When I play the scenario in my head it just seems like the tire would pull out of the ground.
Unread 02-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
chim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The winch on my YJ is mounted in front, but at one time I had my winch mounted in the bed of a full-size Chevy pickup. The theory was that once I was stuck, I'd already gone too far forward.

One time I was stuck in the snow and there wasn't anything behind the truck. There was a very large scrubby-looking bush at a nearly 4:00 position. I removed the tailgate and rigged the snatch block (ugly setup) to the rear hitch and took the cable through it and then to a chain wrapped around the bush. I then took the truck out of 4WD and while winding the cable in I got on the gas so the rear wheels were spinning. That allowed the rear end of the truck to easily rotate around and got me to a spot where the footing was better. Disconnected and reeled the cable in, reassembled the tailgate, put her back in 4WD and away I went.

Another time I had the same truck stuck in a small snowbank. Nothing behind it till the next zipcode. Tree ahead of the truck was reachable by assembling all the chokers, chains, etc I had with me. So the truck with the 8000# winch in the back was freed with a $14.95 cable comealong on the front. Every "stuck" is different, and not all of them call for a 12,000# winch and 6 snatch blocks. I roll my eyes when posters insist comealongs are so useless.................chim
chim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #11
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotsvt View Post
Not in the winter I can't...
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #12
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe's_yj View Post
you can have a hitch mounted winch. where the winch is mounted on the receiver and you have a hitch on the front and rear of the jeep. you put the winch where you need it. if theres nothing around for you to winch off of, theres a thing called a pull pal i believe is the name. basically its like a boat anchor that digs into the ground so you can winch out. A cheap but good winch would be the smitty bilt xr8 i think is the name, theres a review on here of it. its 300 dollars, this is the cheapest one around but should do fine. or you can move up to warn winches if you have the money. These are way nicer. hope this helps let me know if you have anymore questions
So this is the winch you referenced, right?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40764

But I take it that winch isn't designed to be moved after it has been mounted?

Do you know of any similarly affordable winches which can be moved to the rear if needed?

Do I need an 8000 pound rated winch? What's the lowest I should consider?
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #13
cmotsvt

I think you can mount just about any kind of winch to a receiver winch plate. You will need wiring/disconnects.

Lowest winch weight rating = vehicle weight X 2

Pull pall works in snow.
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Not winching related, but it is self recovery related. Just carry a length of chain with a d ring to connect it back onto itself:

Might need one on both sides if you have open diffs. Just drive over the log, stop and unhook. wash, rinse, repeat until your unstuck.
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
cmotsvt

Nice trick with the log. Probably a good way to break something and ruin a rim, but would sure work in a bind.
Ive jacked up the stuck tire and put crap under it to get traction floor mats, branches, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.