winch or bumper??? help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > winch or bumper??? help.

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 07-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
clutchrider

winch or bumper??? help.

I'm going to buy a winch and a bumper but I'm not sure which one to buy first, any thoughts?

clutchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well I would think a bumper first to bold the winch in place.
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98muddyjeep
Well I would think a bumper first to bold the winch in place.
This...agreed
Brightwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Muddeprived

If it's a wrangler then get a winch and winch plate till you have enough to get a bumper.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
clutchrider

I have 2003 wrangler sport
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Muddeprived

Nice! Post a picture of it while you are here.

I had the same plans with my first wrangler (2000) so I bought a winch and cheap winch plate ($50) and ran that while I saved for the bumper I REALLY wanted which would take a while since it was near the 1 grand number. Eventually I realized that the stock bumper did everything I needed it to do (holds winch and hi-jack, and has hookups for tow hooks) and didn't weigh a ton so I never got the bumper. I used the $$ on a pair of lockers so I ended up winched and locked. I think it looks good in brown too!

Show me a bumper that weighs little and holds all this and I'll change my mind for my current 99 TJ build.
Unread 07-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
clutchrider

I love it! I currently have a light bar on mine, but the bumper I want (smittybilt src) have 4 light mounts, I wanna move the lights on the bar to the bumper and then get a winch for her, I'll added a photo tomorrow all the ones on my phone are a bit too big
Unread 07-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
bobjp

Bumpers have to be the most over rated aftermarket piece put on Jeeps. Do as above: winch and a winch plate. There are much better things to spend your money on that will actually improve the performance of your Jeep.
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
Bumpers have to be the most over rated aftermarket piece put on Jeeps. Do as above: winch and a winch plate. There are much better things to spend your money on that will actually improve the performance of your Jeep.
I think a good rear bumper is worth it but I agree with you about the front one.

I cut my stock bumper down so I can get my tires on the obstacle without the bumper in the way and have just a plate for my winch.

Use the money you save on the bumper and get a good winch.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
Bumpers have to be the most over rated aftermarket piece put on Jeep.
I know a couple of folks with arb bumpers who have had a few run ins with some deer who would beg to differ that point. Guess it depends on where you live as to what you do.
Unread 07-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
bobjp

If deer is the only defense, I think I've made my point. The OP didn't mention anything about deer catching. I've actually hit a deer with my Jeep.

Bumpers are one of the first things people buy under the guise of offroad capability when many of them actually hinder performance. That money could be better spent.

I like some of the stout simple aftermarket bumpers out there. But for $700? No, thanks. 99% of offroaders out there aren't yanking on the frame mounted tow hooks enough to need additional strength.
Unread 07-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #12
Minionsram

I say buy a decent winch. http://www.amazonsupply.com/dp/B0030...ef_=sr_1_9_img and then build you a simple bumper. Add to it when needed. I have only 100 bucks in mine so far. not finished yet but it dont do too bad.
Minionsram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I got lucky and had someone else`s insurance pay for my winch and bumper which is about the only way I could afford an arb front bumper.
Unread 07-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #14
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minionsram View Post
I say buy a decent winch. http://www.amazonsupply.com/dp/B0030...ef_=sr_1_9_img and then build you a simple bumper. Add to it when needed. I have only 100 bucks in mine so far. not finished yet but it dont do too bad.
I like that look.

I have a xj with a winch too but chose to keep the factory bumper and use Detour's winch holder:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.