Why Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Why Jeep?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Why Jeep?

Simple question, but i expected a multitude of answers.

Why Jeep? Do you own a jeep because you like to wheel? Because it fit your needs? because you simply like how they look? because it was in your price range when looking? Why?

For me, i bought my first jeep, a 1997 XJ, because i thought it was what i wanted. drove it, and loved it on the street, hated it off road.

then i bought a 1995 ZJ simply because it was cheap, and beat the tar out of it off road and it keeps coming back for more, thats when i was sold on their off road reliability.

upgraded to a built XJ and it went well but decided i wanted more than a unibody ride could offer.

so i still have the 95, and it is undergoing a HUGE change at the moment as it has been passed to my little brother do DD a 98 ZJ simply for the reliability.

i am not a "jeep Guy", and dislike most "Jeep Guys" but for a cheap off road ride that you can buy darn near anything for they are hard to beat.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
BmooreTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was never big on the jeep thing always thought they were pretty cool but I was happy with my Honda prelude.
Then I rode in my buddy's YJ and was hooked, started doing my research and a month later I had my own 03 TJ.
I still have my prelude for long commutes but nothing beats riding around in the jeep.
BmooreTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Because I wanted a go anywhere do anything kind of vehicle. Like the outdoors and it fit the build.I bought it to pull a trailer 2000 miles to my new home. Fell in love with it built a story with it that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I started into Jeep because when I became of driving age, we had my older sister's rusting 98 TJ in the backyard, which at the time wouldn't start. (She moved to the city and bought her own car, giving us the TJ.) My brother in law and I replaced the spark plugs and she cranked up. Since then I ended up on this forum and got more into wheeling, and now exploring the wild places of the world has become my main hobby, both in my Jeep and on foot. I attribute my love of the outdoors in part to my Jeep.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Loved riding around with the doors off. They are also easy to mod so it appealed to me. I have a love hate relationship with my TJ now.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
Chris98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Learned to drive a cj-8 my dad bought it new in 83. I've always had a jeep in my family mom had a 85 Laredo then an xj and after I was settled I bought my tj and started wheeling it.
98 tj sport Aussie locked front and rear 4.10's HPD30 8.8 super short sye cv shaft 4.5 lift johnny joint adj. control arms 36in TSL's gen right hi fenders header exhaust custom rockers Solid axle covers f/r the list goes on
Leading bullet sponge for JF Call of Duty crew
X BOX GT- CHRIS98TJ
Chris98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Jeeps have fit my life style, i love the outdoors. I have had YJs in my younger years, but now with a family, my XJ is perfect!
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

We got our Jeep cause one of the kids rolled my wife's Montana and we needed a temp vehicle cheap. Since then the ZJ has grown on us. Honestly, the wife might rather be seen in the old ZJ than a newer Minivan (country girls, gotta love em) and for me it's like driving a sports car around town compared to the FS trucks I've been driving most of my life. 20 mpg doesn't hurt my feelings either.

Don't get me wrong, I've driven 4wd's for a couple decades for a reason and it isn't for puttin around town so the Jeep fills that need too. It's lack of a bed for hauling keeps PU's in my world though.
L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
95ZeeJay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

got the Willys because it was given to us. Joined a Jeep club that focused on offroading. Bought the ZJ for that purpose only. Then I got the itch for something fun I could drive on and offroad so bought the TJ.
52 Willys CJ3a: stock-ish (his)**95 ZJ Laredo 4.0: removable doors, longarm, 8.8 rear, leaks, squeaks, dents, dings, etc (ours)**03 TJ Rubicon: longarm, body lift, 33" Duratracs- SOLD**05 LJ Rubicon: stock (MINE!)
95ZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
bhikku
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why not?
Utah Jeep Crew #152
US Navy 04-08
bhikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
bono426
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dad had a CJ when I was born, sold it to redo the bathroom in the house. I grew up wanting one since I was a child from one picture of what his looked like. So I saved everything from birthdays/christmas presents and when i was 15 I bought my first YJ. Loved having my own, took it wheeling, and just knew that I couldn't have any other vehicle.

So then I bought a TJ, then another TJ, then a bmw. I figured I'd try something else out other than a wrangler... it didnt last long. Sold the BMW, got another TJ. Then got another BMW, which I sold last month, and now I have another TJ. 7 vehicles, 5 of them were Jeeps.
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Bought my first ZJ (1994) as my first car becuase it was cheap and I always wanted an SUV, my Dad probably regrets sending me the ad lol. Modded it and wrecked the transmission.

Bought my second ZJ (1998) so I could still use all the mods I had. Put that one into a tree.

Bought my thrid and current ZJ (1998) becuase I now had too many mods I couldn't take a loss ona nd I was still in school so money was tight. Then I hydrolocked the motor last month so I swapped in a new one. Thankfully it is only a toy now and I have a daily driver (2008 Sierra Quad Cab) that I swore I wouldn't mod ( we all know how that went ).
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
CoastieShep
2001 WJ 

I wanted a solid axle, 4 door 4x4 that I could haul stuff in, with a torquey 6 cyl for around 5k. The WJ fit perfectly.
CoastieShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I always wanted a Jeep because as a kid I was around the military Jeeps often, being a military brat living on base. The CJ's were the epitome of cool. The first SWB Jeep I ever drove was a YJ.

When I could finally afford to get a Jeep I started looking for CJ's and YJ's. Missed a few opportunities to get a CJ in my price range, but when the YJ I currently have came around on market I snatched it up because it was in my price range and pretty much bone stock.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

I wanted a jeep when I got my license, but my dad insisted on buying me a 1972 impalla...16 year old, got my dl in the dead of winter, and driving a rear wheel drive boat. Spun it about 5 minutes after buying, then learned the art of drifting and doughnuts, and blew the tranny. Took me a long time to give up rear wheel drive, but in Wisconsin a 4x4 is great to have. Now I don't want anything else, well maybe a Saturn sky red line, or 911... but I don't think I'll ever find one let alone be able to buy it. Plus I love to play in the woods so it fits me well.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.