Why 7 slot grill? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Why 7 slot grill?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #61
redbeard-first

The original question dealt with the 7 slots in the Jeep grill as well as the how the Jeep name was derived. The 'slot' discussion has been exhausted, so here is a stab at the name:
The name used by the Army was "General Purpose Vehicle"
The name was abbreviate to "G P V"
Then shortened to "G P"
Then spelled phonetically: Jeep

redbeard-first is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #62
SpencerRo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I heard it was because Jeeps were the first vehicle to drive on all 7 continents. Not sure if it's true, but it sounds cool.
SpencerRo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #63
Chelsea2012

Because Jeep was the first to travel on all 7 continents is what I heard
Chelsea2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #64
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I heard it was because the designer got drunk and forgot to put in the eighth slot
Unread 06-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #65
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerRo View Post
I heard it was because Jeeps were the first vehicle to drive on all 7 continents. Not sure if it's true, but it sounds cool.

If this were true than actually the very 1st "Jeeps" built would have 0 slots , since it couldn't have actually driven on a continent before it was produced. The first "Jeep" built by Ford had 9 slots but Willy's couldn't get the trademark for the 9 slots so they decided on 7.

Sent from my XT881 freeze ray gun using JeepForum.
Unread 09-26-2014, 06:40 AM   #66
pilotamis

I googled this after a friend at work asked me if I knew the reason behind the 7 slots on my JK. His reasoning was in reference to the 7 wonders of the world. Of all the threads I've read on this since googling it he is the only one that had that reason.
pilotamis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #67
Indy

So much misinformation. The 'jeep' was designed by jeffrey willys who had 7 toes on his left foot and 3 on his right. He also suffered from double vision but only in his right eye. The least well known fact of jimmy's life is his dog was named bongo and his wife judith hated that dog. But she often bought him treats at the local butchers shop. That butchers shop was later turned into a five and dime. Now simple math tells you that 10-5=7, if youre really bad at simple math. Now you take that with a 5th of scotch and it is very simple logic that shows that 99.99999999999999% of anything has exactly 0 symbolism and the jeep has 7 slots because the designer didnt draw 6 or 8 because he thought 7 looked good.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #68
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
So much misinformation. The 'jeep' was designed by jeffrey willys who had 7 toes on his left foot and 3 on his right. He also suffered from double vision but only in his right eye. The least well known fact of jimmy's life is his dog was named bongo and his wife judith hated that dog. But she often bought him treats at the local butchers shop. That butchers shop was later turned into a five and dime. Now simple math tells you that 10-5=7, if youre really bad at simple math. Now you take that with a 5th of scotch and it is very simple logic that shows that 99.99999999999999% of anything has exactly 0 symbolism and the jeep has 7 slots because the designer didnt draw 6 or 8 because he thought 7 looked good.
Finally, an explanation that makes sense.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.