Why 7 slot grill? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Why 7 slot grill?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #31
bumzo1
2005 WK 

Holy old post batman!

Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #32
Eshindi
1999 WJ 

because 7 is lucky

My Build Log
Eshindi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #33
focusred

From wikipedia, looks like initially it was a "weight" matter:

"A division of Chrysler Group LLC, the most recent successor company to the Jeep brand, now holds trademark status on the name "Jeep" and the distinctive 7-slot front grille design. The original 9-slot grille associated with all World War II jeeps was designed by Ford for their GPW, and because it weighed less than the original "Slat Grille" of Willys (an arrangement of flat bars), was incorporated into the "standardized jeep" design.

The General Motors Hummer and Chrysler Jeep have been waging battle in U.S. courts over the right to use seven slots in their respective radiator grills. Chrysler Jeep claims it has the exclusive rights to use the seven vertical slits since it is the sole remaining assignee of the various companies since Willys gave their postwar jeeps seven slots instead of Ford's nine-slot design for the Jeep."

so is clear the 7 slots come from Williys not from Ford, but why 7 instead 6,8 or 10? In a jeep dealership I was told because it was the first vehicle driven on the 7 continents.
focusred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #34
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusred View Post
From wikipedia, looks like initially it was a "weight" matter:

"A division of Chrysler Group LLC, the most recent successor company to the Jeep brand, now holds trademark status on the name "Jeep" and the distinctive 7-slot front grille design. The original 9-slot grille associated with all World War II jeeps was designed by Ford for their GPW, and because it weighed less than the original "Slat Grille" of Willys (an arrangement of flat bars), was incorporated into the "standardized jeep" design.

The General Motors Hummer and Chrysler Jeep have been waging battle in U.S. courts over the right to use seven slots in their respective radiator grills. Chrysler Jeep claims it has the exclusive rights to use the seven vertical slits since it is the sole remaining assignee of the various companies since Willys gave their postwar jeeps seven slots instead of Ford's nine-slot design for the Jeep."

so is clear the 7 slots come from Williys not from Ford, but why 7 instead 6,8 or 10? In a jeep dealership I was told because it was the first vehicle driven on the 7 continents.
It's because Willys couldn't trademark Ford's 9-slot design in their post-war models, so they chose a similar design that they could trademark. Someone pulled the number 7 from betwixt their cheeks, then passed the design to AM and Chrysler. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_MB#Grille

Or perhaps it's because 7 is a mystic number associated with the Chinese symbol for surefootedness.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #35
PlaneJob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My (left hand drive!) DJ has a 5 slot grill. What's up with that?
PlaneJob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #36
perryhooah
2008 JK Wrangler 

ok... so willys made the jeeps (postwar) in the 1950's, Kaiser bought willys, and jeeps were produced by Kaiser.. at some point, i think in the early 70s, or late 60s, kiaser bought nash and a couple other companies, and changed their name to American Motors. American motors was around until 1986 or 1987, when Chrysler bought the civilian production stuff and AMC reorg'd the military stuff into AM General, also picking up (crappy) diesels from GM GM has never prodused the H1s or any of those, but with the deal with AM General, they got marketing rights and use of the logos. They then created the H2 and H3, but the H1s were always AM General, right up until AM General quit making them in June 2006. with that, all that is left of all the old derivitives is the Fiat (WOOHOO) Wrangler
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #37
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneJob View Post
My (left hand drive!) DJ has a 5 slot grill. What's up with that?
It's defective. You need to go out there with some tin snips and fix it by cutting 2 more slots.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #38
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #39
krkoziel

7 continents! :)

I know it's been almost 10 years since you posted this, but just cane from a Dodge dealership, and the guy told me it's because it's the only vehicle that has been on all 7 continents!
krkoziel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #40
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJKEN View Post
I do not remember the 7 slot grill being such a big deal until GM
bought controlling interest in Hummmer. Up until that point Hummer was a small company that did not sell their vehicles to the public. I think what hurt Jeep in their lawsuit was the fact that prior to the GM purchase Jeep did not sue to protect the 7-slot grill. If they would have contested the pre-GM Hummer vehicles they may have won. As for chosing 7 slots it may have something to due with the fact that CJ series came with 7 slots.
Till this day I believe that the CJ is the most recognized Jeep vehicle in the world. They should copyright the 9-slot grill since the first civilian Jeep had 9 slots.
The original Humvee was designed by AM General, a subsidiary of AMC, who at the time owned Jeep. So they had every right to the seven slot grill. When they sold off AM General, they got to keep the 7 slot grill for the Hummer.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #41
Skb76cj5

7 slots

I have always been told it was because Jeep was the first vehicle to drive on all 7 continents. That also explains the slight variations in the early models.
Skb76cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #42
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There be some trolls lurking around in here.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #43
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thought the thread was about this
http://www.sevenslotgrille.com/

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #44
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skb76cj5 View Post
I have always been told it was because Jeep was the first vehicle to drive on all 7 continents. That also explains the slight variations in the early models.
Sooo.... The first jeep had 0 slots?

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #45
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

heh..... slot

[QUOTE=DcMuff;10356365]P[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]REPOST[/COLOR][/SIZE]erous...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Dead_End;13002119]hurr durr I gots a truk[/QUOTE]
FourbyFour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.