Why 7 slot grill? - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 Old 07-30-2004, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
hyedipin
Registered User
 
hyedipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: State of Mind
Posts: 727
Why 7 slot grill?

Does anyone know the reason why Jeep went with 7 not 8 or 6, and why they like to pronounce it as "jeep signature" while hummer bears the same?

Thanks.
hyedipin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 75 Old 07-30-2004, 11:17 AM
ckelley
Complete *******
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dubuque, IA.
Posts: 69
it was jeep signature, until the hummer stole it. Chrysler sued GM over it a while back and lost, so hummer gets to keep using it. Then, in a poetic justice kind of way, Hummer sues Avanti motor group over their use of a 7 slot grill. I believe they lost.


http://www.autointell-news.com/News-...b-19-03-p3.htm
ckelley is offline  
post #3 of 75 Old 07-30-2004, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
hyedipin
Registered User
 
hyedipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: State of Mind
Posts: 727
Thanks pal.

How about jeep's reason to use Seven slot grill? Anyone has any stories for that?
hyedipin is offline  
post #4 of 75 Old 07-30-2004, 11:45 AM
ctavel
Registered User
 
ctavel's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,658
because it looks good???
ctavel is offline  
post #5 of 75 Old 07-30-2004, 12:00 PM
04TJFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lansing MI
Posts: 400
Back when Willys got the contract to build Jeeps for the Army in WW2 they all came with a tube style front grill and it came to a point that they couldn't keep up with the demand for production from the military, so they had to sub out part of the production job run of Jeeps to Ford. Well Ford wanted to speed up production so they designed a way to stamp out the grill in sheet metal and it's been like that ever since. It's funny that DC spends so much money to protect the copyright of the grill and it was a Ford design in the first place. Isn't the history channel wonderful....

Later,
Scott

Black Jeep Club Member #2004
Jarhead Jeep Club Member #4
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Bushwacker Fender Flares
04TJFan is offline  
post #6 of 75 Old 07-30-2004, 12:11 PM
Dichotmist
Member
 
Dichotmist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TJFan
Back when Willys got the contract to build Jeeps for the Army in WW2 they all came with a tube style front grill and it came to a point that they couldn't keep up with the demand for production from the military, so they had to sub out part of the production job run of Jeeps to Ford. Well Ford wanted to speed up production so they designed a way to stamp out the grill in sheet metal and it's been like that ever since. It's funny that DC spends so much money to protect the copyright of the grill and it was a Ford design in the first place. Isn't the history channel wonderful....

Later,
Scott
Those old military Jeeps/willys had 9 slots in there grill I beleive. I'm not sure when it changed to 7.

03 TJ Sport
Sienna Pearl Coat
Still Stock.........
Red Jeep Club Member #67
Dichotmist is offline  
post #7 of 75 Old 07-30-2004, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
hyedipin
Registered User
 
hyedipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: State of Mind
Posts: 727






5.6.7.8.9... yep
hyedipin is offline  
post #8 of 75 Old 07-30-2004, 12:32 PM
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai
 
MugZy_YJ_94's Avatar
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Flanders
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelley
it was jeep signature, until the hummer stole it. Chrysler sued GM over it a while back and lost, so hummer gets to keep using it. Then, in a poetic justice kind of way, Hummer sues Avanti motor group over their use of a 7 slot grill. I believe they lost.


http://www.autointell-news.com/News-...b-19-03-p3.htm
back in the days of amc they split up the production of jeep. civil jeep where marketed as "jeep". military under a other name, can't think of it now. when the time came for chrysler to take over the jeep brand they showed no interest in the military department. so that when to GM. it it that same compagnie that amc founded out of military orders that later when to design and produce the humvee. and making it a valid object for the 7 slot grill.
ohh and ford was realy the designer of the grill design.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline  
post #9 of 75 Old 07-30-2004, 01:05 PM
ChiTown'01XJ
Registered User
 
ChiTown'01XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 516
I was at an airshow yesterday, and they had 3 old military Jeeps, 2 willy's and one that looked like it was from the beginning of time. the oldest one had the front of a Jeep, i forget how many slots in the grill, but it had ford on the tailgate. wierd.

Blue Jeep Club Member #73
'01 XJ Sport

235/75/15 BFG All Terrain T/A KO, C4X4 tow hooks, rear hitch, 2 x 55 Bosch Lights, Cobra 19+ (waiting on antenna)

"Let's do it in the dirt"
ChiTown'01XJ is offline  
post #10 of 75 Old 07-30-2004, 03:35 PM
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai
 
MugZy_YJ_94's Avatar
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Flanders
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown'01XJ
I was at an airshow yesterday, and they had 3 old military Jeeps, 2 willy's and one that looked like it was from the beginning of time. the oldest one had the front of a Jeep, i forget how many slots in the grill, but it had ford on the tailgate. wierd.
maybe it was one of fords prototype's or test vehicules? the oldest forfather of the jeep is the bantam quat. after the firts prototypes where dilivered, the US military suplide ford and willys with spec of the bantam. it had some of the best designs and they wanted the final vihecule to have them. however bantam could not handel sutch a large order. they where later rewarded with contracks to build parts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline  
post #11 of 75 Old 07-30-2004, 08:30 PM
_(o)IIII(o)_
Member
 
_(o)IIII(o)_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 30*N, 85*W
Posts: 106
I personally thought the Jeep had 4 slots, you know, like a toaster

= irony and sarcasm = sarc-irony
_(o)IIII(o)_ is offline  
post #12 of 75 Old 08-19-2004, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
hyedipin
Registered User
 
hyedipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: State of Mind
Posts: 727
how about '97 GC's.. they got 8!

so what gives ??
hyedipin is offline  
post #13 of 75 Old 08-19-2004, 01:55 PM
uglyprimate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Corn Country
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugZy_YJ_94
maybe it was one of fords prototype's or test vehicules? the oldest forfather of the jeep is the bantam quat. after the firts prototypes where dilivered, the US military suplide ford and willys with spec of the bantam. it had some of the best designs and they wanted the final vihecule to have them. however bantam could not handel sutch a large order. they where later rewarded with contracks to build parts.
Um, hello, ever read a book? Bantam did original design, blue-prints presented to Willy's and Ford, all 3 produced additional prototypes for the army. Bantam lost production contract due to manufacturing ability, and Willy's and Ford got production contract. Everything based on a compromise between the 3 companies. Original Bantam had curved fenders, Ford had wire grill, Willys had best engine. Ford and Willy's produced almost equal amounts during the war. Contract given to Willy's, with Ford as backup production. Bantam got to make the trailers. Civilian production of the CJ-2 had the 7 slot grill I believe, as well as larger headlights. Parts have been mixed and matched so much through the years, as well as the military versions, so it's hard to tell what's original. AMC divided into AM General for production of the MUTT the Vietnam era M-151 coil spring, Jeep, as well as the postal Jeep. this is what Chrysler didn't want, and it is it's own company. Till GM took control. Chrysler is just an *** when it comes to the whole licensing issue with the Jeep design. Yeah, it's their trademark, but the only thing DC did for Jeep was lose the war. Daimler is German remember. Jeep was Willy's, then Kaiser, then AMC, then Chrysler, then DC
uglyprimate is offline  
post #14 of 75 Old 08-19-2004, 02:43 PM
Spiderman
Registered User
 
Spiderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: U.P. of Michigan
Posts: 1,131
Jesus is a Jeep freak and 7 is HIS number


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2001 Sport 4.0L, 5 Speed, Patriot Blue
33 X 12.50 BFG A/T's with A/R Atlas 15 X 8 wheels
4.56's, RE 3.5" lift, Currie 1" BL, M.O.R.E. 1" MML
Aussie D30 Locker, & other crap
Spiderman is offline  
post #15 of 75 Old 08-19-2004, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
hyedipin
Registered User
 
hyedipin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: State of Mind
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Jesus is a Jeep freak and 7 is HIS number
i guess he really missed on THIS ONE:



Hmmm..
hyedipin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
SD card slot on computer? RnEmOvr General Discussion 5 03-07-2009 08:24 PM
Wow use your GRILL more often! beavs General Discussion 19 11-18-2008 04:11 PM
Stereo with USB and SD card slot howardusa General Discussion 11 01-30-2008 08:04 PM
Anyone into slot cars? XJ99 General Discussion 18 12-15-2006 11:10 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome