Who would be at fault here. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Who would be at fault here.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineLabor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Who would be at fault here.

I'm just curiours, not laying blame. I was driving with my girlfriend and we come up to an intersection. I have the green light. We are just about over the crosswalk going below the speedlimit, it was all clear. All of a sudden a cop comes through the light on the wrong side of the road. He turns his siren on about 1 second before he is in the intersection. He isn't even looking to see if anyone is coming in the lane he is about to cross, which would be my lane.

Its a marked cruiser and he has a girl in the passenger seat that isn't in uniform. Shouldn't he have had his siren on before he got into the intersection? Its a very busy intersection. If he did hit us wouldn't it be his fault?

Thoughts on this?

Unread 01-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

He would if you where you were supposed to be. Nobody is above the law. Even when he has a need for speed he has to take others safety into consideration. Being a Cop doesn't relieve you of your responsibilities to safety of others. If you had time to pull over you could be cited for not pulling over.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
nj666z

If the vehicles did collide, I think there are carve-outs in some states as well as your insurance coverage that would likely put the accident at "no-fault". I think I recall reading a stipulation in my coverage stating what happens if struck by a vehicle being used during a pursuit or while displaying lights and sirens.
nj666z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Thirty-Eight
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any emergency vehicle is supposed to abide by the normal laws. If you have lights flashing, you must also have a siren as well.

I know that if i would hit anything in the fire truck with my lights/sirens on its still my damn fault.

"If I were two faced, why in hell would i wear this one?"-___Abraham Lincoln

"Men are like steel.When they lose their temper, they lose their worth"_____Chuck Norris
Thirty-Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thats what I thought. I knew that police couldnt go through "legally"
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Indy

"legally' they can. They have the latitude by law, but not the right, to bust an intersection. He still has to make sure it's safe for him to do so before entering. The use of the siren and/or lights doesn't give him immediate right of way.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
spdcat01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
Thats what I thought. I knew that police couldnt go through "legally"
That's not really true. The police and other emergency vehicles operating with lights and sirens do not have to follow traffic laws. We can drive the wrong way on one-way streets, or in the wrong lane, and exceed the speed limit. We do however have to drive with "due regard" for the safety of others. The ambulance service I work for requires us to stop before proceeding at all red lights and stop signs. You can bet if I have a wreck because I didn't stop, I will lose my job, and may be held financially responsible as well. In the scenario you describe, it sounds like the officer may have just received a call, or have been transporting someone to the hospital, but he should have used more caution when approaching that intersection.

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
spdcat01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
/\/\uD b0gg3r

I know that the driver of an EMS vehicle is at fault in that situation, lights/sirens or not.
XJicequeen is my mom club member #1
'05 Red LJ
Hemi 5.7L
Chris
/\/\uD b0gg3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Thirty-Eight
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That just what ive been fed so far. I wish i grew up around here in the 70's, apparently we had 14 year old kids hanging off the back of the truck at 65 mph into oncomming traffic. Must've been interesting.

"If I were two faced, why in hell would i wear this one?"-___Abraham Lincoln

"Men are like steel.When they lose their temper, they lose their worth"_____Chuck Norris
Thirty-Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdcat01TJ View Post
In the scenario you describe, it sounds like the officer may have just received a call, or have been transporting someone to the hospital, but he should have used more caution when approaching that intersection.
That may be true, I will never know, but on his road there was an island about 3 cars long with traffic sitting at the light maybe 5 cars deep in both lanes. In my opinion he should have hit the siren before he hit the intersection. That's only from witnessing other emergency vehicles doing the same. The passenger didn't look to be injured but who knows.

When I said "legally" I meant right of way not that they can't do it.

I'm not angry about it just curious. I just thought he wasn't being safe about the way he handled the situation as he came very close to causing an accident.
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
Who would be at fault here.
Your girlfriend would be at fault. Would you have been at that intersection if she wasn't there? No, you would have been busy smashing your control arm mounts on some rocks.

The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
paddingtonbear
1997 ZJ 

At least in California, and at least for EMS vehicles. It is due regard, and it is not a "right or legally correct". Lights and sirens is asking permission and if you get in an accident unless the other guy is drunk and ran a red your out of luck. AMR has a policy country wide "I believe" to stop before going through a red. In California, other companies and fire departments might have different policies, but I believe statewide the DMV says you can roll them under 10mph. Lights and sirens together? Not needed. Depending on the time, you'll get in trouble if you have your siren on at 2am with no one out on the road.
Crager soft 8-32x10.5x15 AT
Kevinsoffroad Radiator support/tow hooks
Kevinsoffroad Sliders
paddingtonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #13
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This exact thing happend to my mom. The cop pulled out on a call from the station and hit my moms zj. He was at fault and was really good about it. The best thing is it "totaled" the jeep. She got full book value for it and I bought it back from the insurance company for $250. Called up my body shop guy, he put $700 into it and I had a 5k jeep for $950
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #14
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy View Post
Your girlfriend would be at fault. Would you have been at that intersection if she wasn't there? No, you would have been busy smashing your control arm mounts on some rocks.

Ha saving that for Saturday. It was her car too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.