Who makes the best work boots? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Who makes the best work boots?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #16
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I have something by the name of "Work 1"??? They're comfortable and fit well and unlike my last pair (moccassin style), they don't let welding junk get inside it and burn! What I wear now:

Unread 12-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #17
pyro9862

Wow, I have never even heard of the brands being recommended. As far as I knew what Sears carried was about all that was out there. I will defiantly see if I can find a dealer for some of these boots in my area. Thanks.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #18
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM
I have something by the name of "Work 1"??? They're comfortable and fit well and unlike my last pair (moccassin style), they don't let welding junk get inside it and burn!
Thats happened to me on more than one occasion. I used to tie them up until before the last two loops so the top kind of hung open. Don't do that any more.
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #19
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski01xj
Thats happened to me on more than one occasion. I used to tie them up until before the last two loops so the top kind of hung open. Don't do that any more.
Haha, mine were seriously slip on moccassin style shoes. Pic:

The 2nd most comfortable pair that I've ever worn, however I walk on my heels and seem to have worn the lining out of them, so it would get rather bad towards the end of the day. If you get replacements once a year or less, I recommend them, otherwise get something that lasts longer.
Unread 12-06-2007, 08:47 PM   #20
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productd...px?prodid=1195

After wearing these for a year, I'll never buy anything else. I paid almost $200 for them, but they've been worth every cent.
Unread 12-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #21
Metzgerhund
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My workplace gives us $150.00 a year for steel toe boots. For the past 9 years I have been through my share of different boots. I will say that I will never even consider Red Wing boots again. But that's beside the point. I have had good experiences with Danners, Iron Age Boots(no longer in business) and my newest boot is a Thorogood. http://workingperson.com/products/22..._804-4848.html Probably one of nicest boots I have worn in terms of comfort and safety. The past 2 years I have been in Iron Age boots, however the company went under. If it wouldn't have been for that I would still be in them. However this gave me a chance to try something else, and Thorogood's now got my vote and business for the next couple years.
Metzgerhund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #22
pyro9862

Well, a close inspection of my new Timberline Pros reveals they're starting to wear out already. I have a feeling in three weeks the steel is going to be through on these too.

I poked around some websites for the recommended brands here and found some dealers in my area. One is even less then a mile from my house. I forgot there was even a shoe store there, I haven't been there since I was eight years old.
Unread 12-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #23
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

If you have to be in wet conditions, I'd go leather. I worked for years in a soap plant, all kinds of nasty chemicals on the floor, sometimes inches deep. Only leather Wolverines would fit me and hold up. Where I am now, no water, cheaper (nylon) Wolverines, not as good of a boot. The better pairs would go two years in rotten service, this pair is two years in mild. My next pair will be a properly broken in leather Wolverine, no matter what they cost.
Unread 12-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #24
That1guy
2007 WK 

I had these boots for the last two years and liked them. I work for natural gas company during the summer driving up in the woods and cutting grass and painting wells. I used them for about 8 months and they are worn out.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productd...px?prodid=1408
Unread 12-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #25
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

Justin or Georgia.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #26
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzgerhund
My workplace gives us $150.00 a year for steel toe boots. For the past 9 years I have been through my share of different boots. I will say that I will never even consider Red Wing boots again. But that's beside the point. I have had good experiences with Danners, Iron Age Boots(no longer in business) and my newest boot is a Thorogood. http://workingperson.com/products/22..._804-4848.html Probably one of nicest boots I have worn in terms of comfort and safety. The past 2 years I have been in Iron Age boots, however the company went under. If it wouldn't have been for that I would still be in them. However this gave me a chance to try something else, and Thorogood's now got my vote and business for the next couple years.
What 'Wings did you have and what sort of problems did they give you?
Unread 12-07-2007, 01:25 AM   #27
Metzgerhund
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch
What 'Wings did you have and what sort of problems did they give you?
Honestly I couldn't begin to tell you the style number of that particular boot. They remind me a lot of these Red Wings.( http://www.redwingshoe.com/images/boots/large/4465.jpg ) Besides the pair I had going into the job this was one of the first or second pair I got via company funds. So being 7 or 8 years ago I would assume that style number is probably no longer available. Just a little bit about what I do first off. I work for a power plant working 12- 16 hour swing shifts. My job entitles running between 6 floors for various things, working in hot year round indoor temps. and cold winters outdoors, and of course lots of electrical hazards. Unfortunately I can not have a gooshy soft soled boot because of the high temps, plus the needed protection for electrical hazards. So after getting told at the Red Wing store what was their top of the line boot for what I needed, and after being fitted for my size I was off to work in them. My complaints about the Red Wings were there was no give in flexability of the boot and it was not comfortable at all. Plus the fact that the guy I dealt with was an a55(that came a little later). After one week my feet were getting raw from them. I called and complained about this and was told that they're not broke in yet. Ok I can buy that. Well after 2 months and wrapping anything I could around my foot to keep the boot from rubbing them raw (more then they already were), I headed back to the store. I showed the guy who sold me the boots what they were doing to my feet. He took and remeasured my foot and yes he gave me the right size. However now he said it had been to long for me to return them. So of course this pursued into, me blowing up as I had called him 1 week after I got them. Long story short I got the money back and bought a pair of Carolina's. A much better choice in my opinion even though still not the greatest. These Thorogood's I have now are top notch(again for what I need) in comfort and safety. Will definetly purchase another pair come 2008.
Metzgerhund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2007, 01:38 AM   #28
djfuzzy
Web Wheeler

I have Danners. Best looking and most comfortable (both my opinion) boots in my profession.

Searching for a CJ again

Sold: 2000 TJ
1983 CJ7 Renegade
djfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #29
pyro9862

In May I finally shelled out the $185 for a pair of Red Wings. Fast forward three months and the soles are worn down, chunks are literally missing from them and the leather around the steel toe is badly damaged (that's to be expected though). I went back to the store today to ask if I could have them warrantied under their one year warranty. They called it abuse and offered me a $25 credit. I will say they are a lot more comfortable then the Timberlines I had been wearing but the Timberlines defiantly seem to have sturdier soles as I never had a problem with them wearing out. We will see how they do, for the price I'd expect to get about a year out of them but I have my doubts.
Unread 09-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #30
BOWMAN1911
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Georgia, Danner, Wolverine. I'm a Wolverine man myself. They make a steel toed black leather hiker that's rediculously comfortable out of the box. I'd suggest going to a workboot supply store. I go to one that sizes your foot to the boot with a laser.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.