Who makes the best work boots? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Who makes the best work boots?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
pyro9862

Who makes the best work boots?

Some people here must work in the trades. I do plumbing and most of it is the rough in / underground aspect of plumbing. As such my footwear is pretty important for both comfort and safety. I used to wear hiking boots and they would usually hold up great. I realized even though they lasted I wanted something that offered more warmth and more protection. Here is my experiance so far.

* I bought a pair of Die Hard boots for about $50. I returned them about four hours later after the steel had ripped right through the outside of the boot. *Next up was DeWalt. I spent about $100 on a pair. The next day my feet were killing me after work. $20 for Dr. Schools (sp?) inserts and that problem was solved. They started to fall apart after two months and some crazy glue took care of it. They didn't look like much after that but held up another four months before they were totally shot.
*I then bought a pair of Timberline Pro Series boots (basic high top suede boots) for $120. Within three weeks the front of the boot was worn right down to the steel. I don't know how I managed it.
*Sears allowed me to exchange them and as the replacement had to be made by Timberline I got some medium height hiking style boots with a steel toe. I've only had them a few days but the toe seems to be pretty heavy rubber so hopefully it won't wear through.
*I've had a pair of Roebucks for over ten years that I've worn to work for several years and they are still in great shape. Unfortunately they have started to hurt my feet and I can not find another pair.

Another big brand seems to be Wolverine. Does anyone have esperiance with them? How does the leather they seem to use compare to suede or rubber?

pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
tufmar
1998 ZJ 

Go Rocky or go home....
tufmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like my redwings. If you get any get the black soled ones, the clean/gum soled ones will separate from the boot.

I've also Michelin Piledriver boots. They're pretty nice, but a bit more of a hiking boot and not as maneuverable in tight spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
WKTrailRunner
2007 WK 

I like Danner but Redwing will work in a pinch. The Danner is more stable on job-site terrain and more comfortable on ladders. Insulated Goretex Danners are best for me.
WKTrailRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Go to a boot shop and ask them for a few good work boots. Try all them on and walk around a bunch in the store. Its up to you on whats best for you. I personally have used combat boots for years and they are like the best feeling boots ive ever worn.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
gtowngirl
I tamed the beast!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Danner is my favorite.....plus, when the sole wears out, you can send them back and for a small fee they will re-sole them. Also, depending on the sole damage, they may just replace them. Just bought a new pair...my last ones lasted for three years!
Unread 12-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

I have a pair of Timberland Pro Series. I've had them since sept and the steel is coming through the toe. Doesn't bother me since they're comfortable and priced right. My next pair will probably be leather Red Wings.
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
sparkdr220

I go to farm and fleet and buy the most comfortable ones I can find. I heard Red Wings are good, but I could never find a comfotable pair. I would rather replace them every couple of months, rather than commit to a pair that are not comfortable.
sparkdr220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
badfish488
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I say either Red Wing's or Chippewa's. I'm in school for Plumbing right now and I bought Timberland Pros my first year and hated them, they sucked, my second year I bought a pair of Chippewa's and they are awesome, they are so comfortable and durable. Im in my third year in Plumbing and have had the Chippewa's for 2 years and are still as good as the day I bought them.
badfish488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Redwing, Danner, or Wolverine. You can buy a bunch of cheap pairs of boots from Walmart and get what you pay for or buy a pair of boots that were made for working in. A good pair of work boots will do more than last longer they will reduce foot, leg and back pain.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
Neener Neener
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Georgia Boots are pretty darned good.

[QUOTE=Al The Killer]My monkey likes your monkey[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Grape Ape] Just go get one and lick it when you get the urge. [/QUOTE]

[url]www.immigrationcounters.com[/url]
Neener Neener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
catdieselpowa

I prefer Chippewa's Steel Toed 10" logger boot. They hold up great, do a good job keeping your feet warm, and are comfortable to boot. (See what I did there?)

The only drawback I can see to them is that some people hate the big heel, but I kind of like it. Hope you find something that suits you.
Christian Jeeper's Club #86

94 YJ Sahara 4.0-6 spd-2" Rough Country-31" Swamper TSLs-Angle Iron Rocksliders-SOLD!!!!
1947 CJ-2A: Work in progress.
catdieselpowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

I had a pair of steel toed caterpillar sheffields that lasted me years, the black ones too, as mentioned, the tan/gum soled soles tend to separate or crack.
Unread 12-06-2007, 07:20 PM   #14
Arcticcat843
dakuda is a god

1980 CJ5 

I have some Wolverine ones, They are basic steel toe work boots with the durashock thing. I have wore them every day for the past 7 months. I work in a factory and i stand ALL day. I might sit down for like 10 mins for the hole day (10 hour shift).....Like 2 mins here and there when i have to get under a machine or something. As far as the leather, they have held up good. some of the stiching is coming apart but i have yet to wear then down to the metal. I have broke one speed-lace on each boot (note to self, real boots dont have speed laces), i have wore almost all the tread off the bottoms and i have wore the inside out. As in i have holes were my toes rub on the inside. A couple months back i bought some dr shorles (sp) pad things and put those in. now i have wore though them too. When i started my job my feet were killing me. Everyone said that it would go away after i got used to it. Well that never happend. my feet hurt every day all day. I blame the boots. They are also very heavy and cold in the winter but i think all work boots are going to be that way.

it is time for me to buy some new ones too. I think ill be geting some rockys if i can find some with steel toes. I have always had good luck with them. oh and i have heard good things about redwing boots too but have never wore any....
Arcticcat843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #15
Ronron2112

I wore Timberland Pro's (steel toe) for a couple years as a mechanic, hated them with a passion, the most uncomfortable thing ever! but recently got a job in the cable industry and am required to wear boots with a big heel on them. I [they] bought chippewa's, and they have been incredible since the first 5 min out of the box... no "break in" period, and all day comfort! I love em!

-Ron
PROJECT RIG: 1996 XJ 2 Door. 4.0/AX15/np231/8.25/d30. 6-7" Mix and Match RE/TNT Long Arm Lift, ACOS Spacers. JCR Bumpers, Steering, Sliders. ZJ Rear Discs and 4.11's. Aussies Front and Rear. IN PROGRESS...
DAILY DRIVER: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. HEMI
SOLD:2001 Dakota 4.7, 2005 SRT4, 2000 XJ, 2004 Blazer ZR2
Ronron2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.