Who makes the best 1911? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Who makes the best 1911?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 01-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #31
PITBULL1967
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would say either springfield or colt, My buddy bought a cheap chinese made one and it costantly misfired or jammed. Probably not the best idea to cheap out and buy a poorly made clone... but thats just from my experience.

PITBULL1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #32
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren2569 View Post
Im a permanent resident (from UK) living in ohio and I have no problem buying handguns. I just gotta have 3 months utility bills in my name to prove I have lived at the same residence for 3 months, other than that its the same process as for citizens.
Yep, I don't have a Green Card yet, but there is actually an exemption for visa holders if you get a hunting license (although most gun stores apparently aren't aware of this particular little legal oddity).

... that said, I won't be buying anything until I get permanent residence (which should hopefully be this year sometime), but when I do, my first gun will almost certainly be a 1911
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #33
IAJack

lots of good info over here

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #34
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

I LOVE my Dads Kimber 1911, it's basically the gun I learned to shoot a handgun with. At this point I've probably put like 500 rds through it (I know, I know, nothing compared to some of you old guys) and I've never had a misfire or a jam (my dad said he had issues with it once shooting non-hardball ammo through it). It also has soft grips on it, not the hard checkered ones. It feels great in my hand and balances like a dream. But other than that I can't say I have much information on 1911s.
Timothy_90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:57 PM   #35
IAJack

Kimbers are nice but for the money I do have a few issues with them. Some models have or used to have a main spring housing made of plastic. They contain MIM parts and my biggest beef is the stupid Schwartz safety (series 80) I guess I am a purist and like mine built how John Browning designed the gun.
Unread 01-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #36
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAJack View Post
Kimbers are nice but for the money I do have a few issues with them. Some models have or used to have a main spring housing made of plastic.
Yep, first thing I did with my Kimber Ultra CDP II was change the magwell/mainspring housing. It was originally a hard plastic or something and I just couldn't shake the feeling that if I dropped it or pistol whipped someone one it might crack I'm not sure that it would, but I just wanted the piece of mind. I think they did that to keep the weight down since it's mainly used for CC.

I do love my Kimber though

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #37
kiksroks
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A poll would increase the efficiency of this thread.

Low Output 4cyl Jeep Club Member #777
<><
kiksroks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #38
Kota04SXT
2006 WK 

If you want a good 1911, for a steal of a price.... Rock Island Armory. I know they aren't the best out there, like Kimber and Dan Wesson and whatnot, but for the price I don't think you can beat them.
Kota04SXT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #39
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiksroks View Post
A poll would increase the efficiency of this thread.
True, but I'm never one to simply go with the majority opinion

I'm interested in a full size 1911 in .45 ACP (obviously, but I've seen a few 9mm 1911s out there, so I just wanted to clear that up), flat black with a light rail, I'm in California so it won't be used for concealed carry.

A friend of mine bought a Glock 17 in 9mm last year sometime and the first time we went to the range with it, I rented a Sig GSR 1911, he's still kicking himself for buying the Glock (seriously, he was still *****ing about it yesterday).

Not a big fan of the wooden grips, so I'm interested in options there as well.

The Springfield Operator is definitely the kind of thing I'm after, along with the Kimber Custom TLE/RL II, both of which look like very nice firearms, will have to have a play in the store before committing to either I would think though.

What are the biggest modifications that the custom gun shops offer? Which mods are worthwhile and which are effectively just bling?
Unread 01-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #40
Synister1
The ghost of Jeepers past

1997 TJ Wrangler 

<---- Happy owner a Kimber Tac Ultra II.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'
Synister1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #41
Kota04SXT
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki View Post
I'm interested in a full size 1911 in .45 ACP (obviously, but I've seen a few 9mm 1911s out there, so I just wanted to clear that up), flat black with a light rail, I'm in California so it won't be used for concealed carry.
I would suggest the Taurus PT1911 AR then. They are nice pistols, especially for the money and the lifetime warranty.

Imageshack - pt1911ar2.jpg
Kota04SXT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #42
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki View Post
A friend of mine bought a Glock 17 in 9mm last year sometime and the first time we went to the range with it, I rented a Sig GSR 1911, he's still kicking himself for buying the Glock (seriously, he was still *****ing about it yesterday).
A couple of my buddies have GSRs I've shot them a number of times, but they just seem soooooooo huge to me.

A 1911 will definitely make it into my collection one of these days. I'd been looking at a Dan Wesson, but I'm not close to purchasing yet so I haven't dug deep as far as research goes. I'll be watching this thread
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #43
steed76

this is my kimber .45 custom

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/p...e67ef4eed2.png

sorry having image troubles

Last edited by steed76; 01-25-2010 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: pic
steed76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 11:11 PM   #44
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here I thought my Kahr was a micro pistol
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #45
steed76

lol sorry i couldn't figure out how to resize the pic.. lol
steed76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.