Who makes the best 1911? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Who makes the best 1911?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #16
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

I dont think I would classify a new Springfield 1911 as "more for collectors". I shoot my dad's Springfield quite often. The original owner bought it, immediately sent it back to Springfield's Performance Center for full interior makeover, and then decided to sell it before he even got it back. Dad got it for a steal and it is a smoother softer shooter than anything else I've shot.

BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 10:38 AM   #17
xxxflhrci

Krutj,

Yeah, I don't get why the dealer had it marked so cheap. The gun is "black stainless" and hadn't been out long, so I know he hadn't been sitting on it long. Before I bought it, I called and had someone check the prices at a few on-line suppliers and learned their price was a good bit more than $749.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #18
Jake03TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAJack View Post
That is a huge question. Most of the custom production mfgs. were mentioned but again are:

Les Bear
Ed Brown
Nighthawk
Wilson
STI

These are the higher end production guns and are in the $2500 price range.

For the mass produced quality guns there is:

Dan Wesson
Fusion
Para-Ord
Sprinfield
Colt
Kimber
S&W
+ others

I have a Dan Wesson model and love it. It is a custom production gun with all Ed Brown parts. It is actually the same or cheaper than the Kimbers as far as price but twice the gun. It just depends on what you want and what its intended use us? I have seen $400 RIA's run and shoot just a well or better than some of the top guns. Keep in mind that 1911's are a lot like Jeeps. They are easily modified and usually require some tuning & tweaking.

If money were no object to me I would probably have a Caspian Damascus slide and frame custom built by a custom smith!
+1000

I myself have a Kimber Tactical Custom 2. I had it worked over by Dr. Barry Greyson. I Just bought a set of white Punisher Grips, and a stainless compensator. I was settingt out to clone the .45's from the Punisher movie. It's not complete yet, but when I get my Jeep finished it's my next project to complete. This is not going to be a carry gun. This is going to go in a case in on my desk.

[B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"]"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Major General James Mattis, USMC[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"]"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
Jake03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Kyo... can you even buy one? My buddy is a lawful permanent resident of the US (from Canada) and he can only buy long guns. And that's in Utah where we're a little more slack when it comes to gun laws than your locale
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #20
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Colt and Springfield Armory. Thats what I have, the basic models. I couldn't be happier. If price is no object you could get one of these, shoot it, then decide on what modifications you want / or need.

I sent both my Springfields back to the factory for some custom work. My Colts I left alone. Springfield does make a very nice custom shop 1911. Its called the "Custom Carry". Its a no frills %100 Custom Shop made 1911.

If I had the money thats as close to a "custom" 1911 that I would want.
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #21
steed76

I have a Kimber .45 full custom. Father-in-law ordered it for me 3 years ago for x-mas. he's a collector. he carries a kimber as well. He had their custom shop "throw the catalog at it" with all the options. all the chamber work is done. edges are beveled! beautiful piece and a cadillac to shoot. very well balanced and fits in my hand like god made it to go there. i would recommend spending time in a well known private shop who carries alot of mid to high end pieces and see how they feel in your hand. it's really a personal preferance. then take a class if you haven't already. the main thing is to protect yourself and your family with the utmost confidence. you can't take back a shot fired!
steed76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #22
xxxflhrci

The great thing about Colts is that they are better than money in the bank. Unless you totally beat the crap out of a Colt, it will do nothing more than appreciate over the years....Of course the same goes for lots of other guns. Just yesterday, I went to a gun show and bought a near mint Ruger Mark I Target .22 off of an individual. I paid 250 bucks for it. The serial number showed it to be a 1965 model. I would guess that it cost no more than 65 bucks when brand new.........Colts just seem to appreciate a little faster than some of the other brands.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #23
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure there is a best; I think of the shelf Kimper comes the most refined off the shelf.

I have a series 70 that has had allot of work done to it, I have shot an older national match, a newer gold cup, a government issue. All were colt 1911s all shot different.

There is more to it than who originally made it, allot depends on who remade it.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #24
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wilson Combat would be my first and only choice if I had the $ to spend.
Ed brown gets a serious nod too.
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #25
darren2569
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal21 View Post
Kyo... can you even buy one? My buddy is a lawful permanent resident of the US (from Canada) and he can only buy long guns. And that's in Utah where we're a little more slack when it comes to gun laws than your locale
Im a permanent resident (from UK) living in ohio and I have no problem buying handguns. I just gotta have 3 months utility bills in my name to prove I have lived at the same residence for 3 months, other than that its the same process as for citizens.
Unread 01-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #26
CJATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAJack View Post
That is a huge question. Most of the custom production mfgs. were mentioned but again are:

Les Bear
Ed Brown
Nighthawk
Wilson
STI

These are the higher end production guns and are in the $2500 price range.

For the mass produced quality guns there is:

Dan Wesson
Fusion
Para-Ord
Sprinfield
Colt
Kimber
S&W
+ others
Yep, and almost in order. I'd move Springfield and colt up a slot or 2 and call it a day.

get the best one you can afford, and if you can't afford more then a base model, buy a good used one over a chap new one. as far as the best of the production I dig the Springfiled TRP, but DW and Colt all make a fine 1911.
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #27
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nighthawk Customs are the ****. They're in widespread use by SFOD-D operators, just because they're that badassed.
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #28
grimjeeperyj14
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Kimber and I like it alot. I have shot some colt models but I like the feel of my Kimber better. Its about personal preference.
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #29
vmann7
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Personally, I prefer the Kimber, followed by a Colt Gold Cup and Combat Commander. There are a lot of good guns out there and of course it all depends on what you want to spend, thats why the Kimbr is my first choice, a good balance between refinement/quality and cost. Like anything else here you're gonna get a variety of opinions, just go to a gun store and get your mitts on them, you'll soon know what you like and want.
vmann7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #30
05SportTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Always been a fan of the Para Ordnance myself.
05SportTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.