"Where did space come from?" - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > "Where did space come from?"

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #61
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
This is where it really makes my brain implode.
My dad and I talk about this every few months, and I always try to picture small then work up. I imagine what it would be like if I was in my house, and there was nothing outside. No color, no matter, nothing. Then I think, well how was this house built then? What are we sitting on? What is the foundation hooked to? Then I try to use that and picture the universe as my house, with nothing on the outside, and my brain turns to goo and I watch Family Guy for three hours.

Unread 07-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #62
nwiTJdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman1941
Getting back to the original topic, I know exactly how you feel. I don't get depressed by it, but I often make my head hurt trying to think about it. The one that really gets me is trying to imagine what's past the edge of space. Since infinity isn't comprehendable, as was already pointed out, I naturally try to put some outer limit or boundary on space. To be honest, that comes from reading a ton of articles on the multiverse theory, in which they're saying that it's possible that the universe is really a series of ever expanding unverses being created one inside another. But the confusing part there is that if that were the case, and our universe is housed inside multiple other universes, and in turn houses more universes, then there is some boundary line to keep the universes apart. Which, by that line of thinking, means the universe isn't boundless. Following that track, then, you start wondering "when did universe 1 pop out?", "What was there before universe 1?" And then you think of what are the universes housed in? If they are ever expanding, what medium are they expanding within? There always has to be something outside of the walls (to my mind at least), but that means that we're back to the thought of endless, which is gonna make my head go kablooie.

I'm not a religious person, but there are certain things that make me think there could be a higher power somewhere. Learning about the human body alone and all of it's intricacies that make us work like we do, I have trouble seeing how evolution brought us from a pool of microbes to what we are today. But at the same time, I cannot define this higher power that may or may not exist. How could something exist before the universe? In what realm did he/she/it exist then? How can something have the power to say "make it so!" and create EVERYTHING int he blink of an eye (or 6 days if you're a traditionalist). Obviously the power isn't some dude in a robe and sandals floating in space. But the only existence we know of is a corporeal existence, and imagining something existing in a state of pure enrgy, for example, is impossible for me to do. Where do the thoughts form if there is no brain? So I'm left with a conundrum; life seems too complex to have happened by pure chance and happenstance. Yet I don't believe in and cannot comprehend a higher power that could make something from nothing.
I agree with almost all of what you said. Everything for us to exist must be perfect. Humans have taken complete crap of earth and show no signs of changing, only getting worse yet this planet takes care of us still. That all said, I do believe in evolution. What we evolved from I have no clue. Look at how recent even people are starting to be born without pancreases (sp).

The greatest thing about being stuck in Iraq was out on lp/op at night you could just look up and see millions of stars yet you are actually looking at what was really there like 10,000 years ago. So peaceful and the best stress relief.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #63
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How we all doing here? I like this topic and want to revive it because it happened to me on the train this morning.
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #64
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ever thought that maybe we are the aliens? Maybe an asteroid didn't kill the dinosaurs, but we did when we arrived. Or maybe something like in the movie "Prometheus".
Either way, I think we are not the only intelligent life form in the universe. Anyone who thinks we are is ignorant.

sent using the force

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 01:54 AM   #65
CaptD

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
Ever thought that maybe we are the aliens? Maybe an asteroid didn't kill the dinosaurs, but we did when we arrived. Or maybe something like in the movie "Prometheus".
Either way, I think we are not the only intelligent life form in the universe. Anyone who thinks we are is ignorant.

sent using the force
I agree. There has to be other intelligent life out there given the vastness of space.

“The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, it seems like an awful waste of space.”
-Carl Sagan
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #66
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Given the infinite nature of both space and time, it's next to impossible that there is not life somehwere else, at some point in time. Considering the hundreds of millions of years life has existed on earth before modern humans arrived, it's not surprising we haven't encountered others. I would be genuinely surprised if we would recognize our descendents when they encounter life in space.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #67
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post

sent using the force
Prove to me that people as a whole are intelligent, then you can argue aliens

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #68
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post

Prove to me that people as a whole are intelligent, then you can argue aliens
That's impossible to do. Lol

Sent from my thingy using JeepForum

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.