"Where did space come from?" - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > "Where did space come from?"

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #31
EZAces
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Because of the Doppler Effect, it is believed that some galaxies are traveling away from us at speeds close or faster than light so we cannot see them, so there would be no way for us to tell how big the universe is.fficeffice" />>>

[b][u][url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/np-231-j-rebuild-sye-install-748821/]NP231 rebuild and SYE install[/url][/u][/b]

[b][u][color=blue][url=http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=73]Fun online game I play while reading the boards[/url][/color][/u][/b]
EZAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #32
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

And it's only going to get worse. It's strange how lucky we are as a species to have developed the technology that we have right now, right now. The density of matter in the universe drops off as it expands, while the energy density of empty space (or cosmological constant) has stayed constant forever. Plot that on a graph and you'll see that matter (y) eventually intersects the cosmological constant (x) at around the 10 billion year mark, when the numbers were just balanced enough for matter to form galaxies. If the cosmological constant were greater, galaxies could never form because of the repulsive forces involved. If it were less, we wouldn't even exist yet (factor in cellular life and evolution on top of that) and nor would galaxies because matter would be too spread out from acceleration to attract and form large enough blobs of mass to even form galaxies.

Eventually, all we'll be able to see are the stars from our own galaxy because everything will have accelerated so far away that we can't see anything else. Even the microwave background of the big bang will be undetectable. It'll be like 1915 all over again when we thought the Milky Way was 'the universe'.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #33
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbrown View Post
Well, space isn't what matters. Space is just that, space. Space is mostly empty...
As far as we can confirm. There are theories of dark energy & matter which we don't have the technology to detect. It goes back to the balance of energy. For all the detectable matter in existence, there must be an equal amount of anti-matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZAces View Post
Because of the Doppler Effect, it is believed that some galaxies are traveling away from us at speeds close or faster than light so we cannot see them, so there would be no way for us to tell how big the universe is.
We think of the speed of light a the cosmological speed limit. Most people don't realize things can "go faster". Like two bodies travelling at the speed of light in opposite directions. In relation to body 'A', body 'B' is travelling at twice the speed of light
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #34
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert
As far as we can confirm. There are theories of dark energy & matter which we don't have the technology to detect. It goes back to the balance of energy. For all the detectable matter in existence, there must be an equal amount of anti-matter.
The dark matter theory is pretty wicked. Its been awhile since I've done any reading on it, I may have to see if there has been any significant improvement on it.
Unread 04-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #35
AlTheKillerr

Edit: damn. Beat to it
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #36
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Another thing kind of interesting here, Earth is only approx 4.2 billion years old and we can view galaxies 10-14 billion light years away right now. So if someone in one of those far away galaxies were looking right back at us then they would see nothing because the planet earth doesn't even exist in their view yet. They are further away than even the creation of earth's image has traveled at the speed of light.

If we actually had the technology to place a mirror out in space lets say 1 light year away and we were able to clearly view our reflection in it, the image you see would be 2 years old ( 1 year to get to the mirror and 1 year for the reflection to return) We would simply see ourselves in the past. Technically everything you see is viewed in the past, it might be only a couple nano-seconds old, not really worth considering the past, but it is. Even our sun is viewed at an 8 minute delay, it takes 8 minutes for sunlight to reach earth.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #37
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

It will get interesting when we further develop our understanding of the space-time fabric. If it can be 'torn' to do what we want, aka travel immensely large distances in a fraction of the time it takes. But even if we could, what would be there? Everything we see is several thousand light years away, meaning everything else in our observable galaxy may not even be there, just black matter. And what if we were to travel past the effects of gravity from even the largest of stars, where even their own light has not touched? I dunno, thinking outta my arse right now.
Unread 04-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #38
GotJeeps
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check this out if you want to try to gain perspective on the scale of the universe. You can click on each thing to learn more.

http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white
GotJeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #39
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erek.Smith View Post

Ding ding ding! And only 18 posts in.
I'm just here to keep it real! LOL
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #40
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
It really is insane. How does that not make one feel insignificant!?

Really want to feel insignificant watch this!

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #41
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

double

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #42
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This topic always makes me think, that if we only use 10% of our brains... and we are capable of some astonishing (to us) things, just imagine the **** that would happen if we were able to use even 60% of our brains potential.

Where is the key to unlock this ability? Why are we only using 10%? How do we access that other 90%, and then maybe... will we be able to comprehend even a fraction of the universe?

What would happen if we had access to 100% brain capacity? Is it because our bodies can't handle the amount of power drain a brain running at 100% would take? Is it because we don't have enough energy to utilize it?

I'm about to shut down trying to comprehend all this...

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #43
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper
This topic always makes me think, that if we only use 10% of our brains... and we are capable of some astonishing (to us) things, just imagine the **** that would happen if we were able to use even 60% of our brains potential.

Where is the key to unlock this ability? Why are we only using 10%? How do we access that other 90%, and then maybe... will we be able to comprehend even a fraction of the universe?

What would happen if we had access to 100% brain capacity? Is it because our bodies can't handle the amount of power drain a brain running at 100% would take? Is it because we don't have enough energy to utilize it?

I'm about to shut down trying to comprehend all this...
It's because we haven't evolved enough yet. Our brains are the same size as they were 2000 years ago, yet your average human has difficulty comprehending basic physics or math. Those concepts have been around for 300 years, beginning physics & calculus should be high school classes.

[something as simple as figuring a 20% tip, I know a lot of people that can't do it mentally, but it's one of the easiest things to do]

I think we're actually using LESS brain power thanks to computers.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #44
Indy

You already use all of your brain. Just for different things at different times.

If your average person could actually access all of it, odds are they would forget to breathe and die.

Ok, we need to find a way to make this happen.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #45
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
It's because we haven't evolved enough yet. Our brains are the same size as they were 2000 years ago, yet your average human has difficulty comprehending basic physics or math. Those concepts have been around for 300 years, beginning physics & calculus should be high school classes.

[something as simple as figuring a 20% tip, I know a lot of people that can't do it mentally, but it's one of the easiest things to do]

I think we're actually using LESS brain power thanks to computers.
Yeah that's something I didn't really think about. Good input! Kinda seems like the further technology advances, we get smarter, yet dumber at the same time.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.