"Where did space come from?" - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > "Where did space come from?"

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 04-12-2012, 02:26 AM   #16
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That's not even the biggest one.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:03 AM   #17
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

"Where did space come from?"

Extra stuff ???

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Read this for your answer

http://www.bartleby.com/108/01/1.html
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
Erek.Smith
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
I agree with you, but religion WILL inevitably be brought up in the discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymudder10 View Post
Read this for your answer

http://www.bartleby.com/108/01/1.html
Ding ding ding! And only 18 posts in.
Essential gear for America's heroes
Erek.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #20
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erek.Smith View Post

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan
The far galaxies we are looking at now are around 14 billion light years away
This means that our visible bubble of space is

wait for it...

11.5 TRILLION cubic light years.
To put an equally unimaginable perspective on the size,
If the Earth could fit on the tip of pencil lead (the .7mm size), the visible universe would still be 1.5 light years away (that's 9,032,742,463,485 miles)
Talk about a needle in a hay stack. And for us to see anything, light has to bounce off of it, pass in front of a star, or be a star.

Anybody know how far away our most powerful instruments could be and still detect Earth?
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
Speed911
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erek.Smith View Post

Ding ding ding! And only 18 posts in.
Hell of a lot longer than I was expecting.
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
hawksfan
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Polaris, the big northern star is about 300 light years away, the light you see from it today was cast 300 years ago, if it exploded today we would not know about it for another 300 years. A star this close to earth is basically in our backyard compared to the rest of the universe.
that is some cool **** to think about. my son (14) loves science and the stars. i am going to have to ask him about this.
hawksfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #24
Erek.Smith
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Essential gear for America's heroes
Erek.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorRenegade View Post
That's one of the cooler things I've always thought about space.

You're technically looking back in time. Even the light from Alpha-Centuri, a miniscule 4 light years away, is 4 years old before it hits your eyeballs.
If it exploded right now, we wouldn't know about it for 4 years.

I remember seeing Saturns rings thru my like, $150 telescope. Pretty frickin cool, but man does stuff in space move fast! Well.....the Earth spinning doesn't help. Taking a good long look at the Moon thru a telescope is pretty cool too.

OR, think about this as far as size/distance is concerned.

Betelgeuse, a red supergiant is 936 times larger then the Sun! If we replaced the Sun with it, that would put it's surface somwhere between Mars and Jupiter! It's not even the biggest thing out there either.

Look at this ****!

Attachment 379794

Attachment 379795

Attachment 379796

Attachment 379797

Attachment 379798

Blows-my-effing-mind!
It really is insane. How does that not make one feel insignificant!?
Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #26
Indy

The human mind is incapable of wrapping itself around the term 'infinity'. Not the word, the actual concept. The closest they will ever come is basically 'really big'. Which is a lot like saying the closest relation to the word dog is blueberry. The biggest thing you can possibly think of in not just your experience but your entire imagination, in the grand scheme of things, doesn't exist in relation to it. If you took every planet/star/whatever that the entire human population 'knows' about and combined them into 1 place, it would still be so absolutely small in relation to space itself, it still doesn't exist.

Space is, infinite. By that alone, trying to think about 'space' beyond what we can more or less touch and feel, is impossible to actually define. Those that will try to convince others that they can actually grasp the concept, are wrong. Our brain likes logic, and conclusions. We say that xxx is yyy light years away, but it's just assigning numbers to the unassignable since we don't actually perceive light years, it's not how we live. We live in miles and how many tanks of fuel it will take to get from A to B.

Even if you run by the theory that space is circular or spheroid, that where it 'ends' is still the 'beginning', the sphere with defined edges is still so massively large that our brains can only think of it in the most dim of concepts compared to what it actually is.

If you look at religion and that some being created 'space' and all it contains, you still have to wonder how big he made it. And you can't because its too big and therefor the reasoning of why a being would make an 'object' so unbelievably huge is pointless. As far as we know it is so big, there is no ending. It goes forever and into eternity, and when every star in the entire universe has finally burnt out, it will still be expanding and maybe the only thing that ever EVER brings that expansion to a stop is the eventually gravity of all contained matter in the entire universe dragging the expansion to a stop and finally beginning its reversal until eventually it all condenses into a super massive object with infinite gravity, and explodes again. Starting the entire universe over again. And how many times it has happened before us is absolutely impossible to even guess at.

And try to figure this out. Assuming the above happens, 'where' will the center be when it actually re-condenses and explodes? If space is infinite and all encompassing, is it possible for the 'center' to actually move since there is nothing to relate it to or measure it against?

Infinite. It's crazy.

Having said all that I'm pretty sure Obama is taking credit.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #27
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

if my jeep could go 88mph id have a answer for you
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #28
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thinking about the vastness of space is freaky. Does it end? Is it a circle? No matter how far you go, what's out there ten times further?

The Pale Blue Dot is a photograph of planet Earth taken in 1990 by Voyager 1 from a record distance, showing it against the vastness of space.

bigger version here.

http://jessejchapman.com/blog/why-my...-like-nothing/
pale-blue-dot-circle1.jpg  
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The concept of infinity is the ultimate mind ****.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #30
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

Well, space isn't what matters. Space is just that, space. Space is mostly empty, Space is endless. What fascinates me is how everything got there. If I could know just one thing, that would be how everything got to be in existence. I would be happy with that.

The universe is a total mind ****. ****ing mind blowing mind ****.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.