"Where did space come from?" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > "Where did space come from?"

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

"Where did space come from?"

Every so often, I'll spend about a half hour to an hour reading about stars, planets, and space in general. I find it fascinating, and there is a ton of information out there to read on the subject. However, when I close everything up and lay down in bed, I get hit with that huge wave, "What created space?". I'm talking the creation of matter, pre-big bang and pre-whatever god may have done it...I'm talking the blackness of space, the emptiness, the sandbox from which matter would ultimately evolve. Through readings, I have noticed that many consider this a rather elementary question to ask, one that should be avoided in discussions of space and completely rid of from the mind. Despite this, one really can't help but wonder sometimes, what the hell started it all. Does this ever happen to anyone else? It takes me a good thirty or so minutes to get the thought out of my mind, or else I will start to slip into a slight panic and develop anxiety at not knowing what started it all.

*Not looking for an answer to the question What created space?*

Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

IB4PRC

But it was definitely the Russians.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
IB4PRC

But it was definitely the Russians.
I don't want to bring any debates or anything to this thread, I am simply curious as to whether or not others often get inundated with the feeling, no matter how undesirable.
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with you, but religion WILL inevitably be brought up in the discussion. And I never think about. My roommate even has a 700$ telescope that looks like a ****ing 5 foot cannon barrel that we use all the time.

To me, it's just there. It looks super cool, and there are definitely aliens. I never think any more about it.

Also, being able to see the rings of Saturn through that 700$ telescope is super awesome.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Damn, that's awesome. It must be a spectacular sight, no doubt. I've never looked through a telescope...sad, right? I definitely need to do that soon. I try not to think about it, but no matter what, I sometimes get struck with a wave like...****...
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

My boss and I were bored at one point and decided to do some comparisons.

If you shrink the sun down to the size of a basketball, the earth would be 1/8" in diameter and be 123 feet from the basketball. Pluto would be over 800 feet away from the basketball and be almost undetectable with the naked eye.

Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it?
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
PlaneJob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There is a park just south of Houston, TX that has the Sun at the entrance to a building, then as you walk down the sidewalk you come across most of the features of our solar system. It's basically what Mickey D is talking about but it is done in the sidewalk and is way huge.

I think it is at the George Observatory. that sounds right.
PlaneJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Basically, we just don't know for fact. We can only theorize about it, it's just there. Enjoy it while it lasts

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

learned a lot watching this:

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #10
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Space wasn't necessarily created, it was extracted from between the ears of politicians.

I've been pondering the imponderables for more years than I care to count. Might I suggest reading Hyperspace by Michio Kaku? It goes a good job of explaining higher-dimensional reality in terms readily accessible to the layman (cosmology is a nasty field of mathematics...)
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There''s always this.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I think Al Gore created space but not 100% sure.

Everyday the universe gets bigger and what is beyond that nobody knows, its not only expanding, its accelerating too. We can only see what has beamed light back to us. and the distance is pratically unimaginable. Light travels about 186,000 miles per second ( thats over 11 million miles per hour). The far galaxies we are looking at now are around 14 billion light years away (there's roughly 6 trillion miles in 1 light year ) We definitely are not see anything "live" or even close to that out there.

Polaris, the big northern star is about 300 light years away, the light you see from it today was cast 300 years ago, if it exploded today we would not know about it for another 300 years. A star this close to earth is basically in our backyard compared to the rest of the universe.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
I'm talking the blackness of space, the emptiness, the sandbox from which matter would ultimately evolve.
There's five times more matter in that black emptiness than there is in all of the stars and planets in the universe combined.

Basically, the universe has zero total energy, so it's not implausible that it was created from 'nothing'. Nature is full of symmetry like that. What always gets me is why physics have the specific properties and laws that they do.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #14
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Dark energy? Dark matter?
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #15
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Polaris, the big northern star is about 300 light years away, the light you see from it today was cast 300 years ago, if it exploded today we would not know about it for another 300 years. A star this close to earth is basically in our backyard compared to the rest of the universe.
That's one of the cooler things I've always thought about space.

You're technically looking back in time. Even the light from Alpha-Centuri, a miniscule 4 light years away, is 4 years old before it hits your eyeballs.
If it exploded right now, we wouldn't know about it for 4 years.

I remember seeing Saturns rings thru my like, $150 telescope. Pretty frickin cool, but man does stuff in space move fast! Well.....the Earth spinning doesn't help. Taking a good long look at the Moon thru a telescope is pretty cool too.

OR, think about this as far as size/distance is concerned.

Betelgeuse, a red supergiant is 936 times larger then the Sun! If we replaced the Sun with it, that would put it's surface somwhere between Mars and Jupiter! It's not even the biggest thing out there either.

Look at this ****!

13db9ddd.jpg

13db957.jpg

13db967.jpg

13db976.jpg

13db986.jpg

Blows-my-effing-mind!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.