Wheelin': What's it to you? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Wheelin': What's it to you?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wheelin': What's it to you?

It's really interesting how your geography dictates what wheelin' means to you. I live in Illinois which means MUD. Others on here who live in say Colorado it means rock crawling. One thing is for sure Wranglers rules both worlds. It's really surprising what mods work well for both and for different reasons. Most of you rock crawlers don't know how bad ESP sucks for the mud. And I'm sure there is a lot to crawling I don't know. I've never needed to disco for instance. Hopefully I'll get a chance to drive out west some day and play on the rocks, if I can find someone who knows what they are doing to come along. I'm really jealous of the guys who get to do both where they live
So, what's wheelin' to you?

Unread 01-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

live outside of Atlanta GA, we have a good mix. Several parks here are rock and dirt (some mud) combined, River Rock, Morris Mountain, Grey Rock, and Gulches. Then we have more dirt, less rock like forest service trails and Beasley Knob. Then we have the famous, almost all rock, Tellico.

And yea, ESP sucks, i turn it off but rock crawling means 4L and esp is off always
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

Texas has both as well. I enjoy the rocks. Easier cleanup afterwards. Mud is a pain to mess with.
2007 JK Wrangler Unlimited (Black), 4" SuperliftRanchoExpress Lift, 36" Super Swamper Irok's covering 16" ProComp's, AFE CAI, FlowMaster 40 Series, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, Rock Hard line of undercarriage skids, Warn Powerplant, Shrockworks Mid-width front bumper, Dana 44 Front
tx-Skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Alaska here. Means wheeling is simply trying to go to work any time between October and May (inclusive). Pulled two people out of the ditch so far this winter and passed by a lot more.

Two different winters, two different locations, I had to use my winch just to get out of my driveway - one of those was off a road appropriately called "Winch Lane" (:
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
oaklane
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wheelin in New Hampshire = mud, snow, rocks, ice, sand pits - sometimes all before I leave the driveway, class VI roads. Not a big fan of the mud takes too much to get rid of it.
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
MiamiPaco
2007 JK Wrangler 

In the Miami area all we have are a couple of decent trails and some fire lanes, nothing that will require 4WD. That said, the rest are really scary, where no street-driving-vehicle will make it thru, you need a swamp buggy or an air boat. Different kind of off-roading. The JK is however, perfect for our two seasons, wet and dry. You know it will get you thru flooded streets like no car will and the removable top lets you enjoy the sun when you can
MiamiPaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Blaze2KiLL

Wheeling in NYC - when Im stuck in traffic on the LIE and I take a little shortcut.
Blaze2KiLL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
nepatsfn
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklane
Wheelin in New Hampshire = mud, snow, rocks, ice, sand pits - sometimes all before I leave the driveway, class VI roads. Not a big fan of the mud takes too much to get rid of it.
Ya NH has it all. I like the class VI roads the best.
nepatsfn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Racer83L
2014 WK 

wheeling on Long Island= SAND.

lol no need for lockers or to disconnect.

hence the Sahara.
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
whitham_wannabe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Michigan, so wheeling means loading up the Jeep and hauling it out of state to get to anything decent.
'94 ZX7R Streetfighter / '02 748R Race bike / '01 ItalJet 180 / '00 GasGas JTX270
[/CENTER]
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #11
ancestralworm
there will be crying

2000 TJ Wrangler 

louisiana all we got is mud but my rig is built for rocks. we trailer up to hot springs most of the time. will be haulin' out to moab for easter.
Black Jeep Society victim#19

"The Jeep is America's only real sports car" - Enzo Ferrari

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
ancestralworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer83L
wheeling on Long Island= SAND.

lol no need for lockers or to disconnect.

hence the Sahara.
There are a couple spots on Long Island that are good, aka: not just sand, check the NE USA forum and look for the New York and LI meet & Greet thread. And yes, I've had to disconnect. Pic 5 in my signature shows me flex'n through the "frame bender" on LI.
"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

CA = whatever you want. for me, it's

.5 hrs to mud
2 hrs to Rubicon (rocks/snow/dirt/camping)
6 hrs to Pismo (sand)
3 hrs to Hollister (mud/rocks/hills)
6 hrs to Mojave/Death Valley (sand/desert/hills/rocks)
6 hrs to JV (rocks/hills/lakebed)

Check out our shirts in the Vendor Display Forum!

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
| DOORLESS IN A 97+ | D44 SWAP | REBUILDING A CV DRIVESHAFT | HOME-BREWED CENTER CONSOLE
sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #14
AlTheKillerr

texas has a bit of both worlds. its about an hour drive for me to get to a wheelin spot. here is colorado depends on where you are. im out in the desert so it more mud but its only a 40 minute drive to the mountains for some rock crawling. we had a ohv park here that had both till it was shut down last year. to many people would dump junk out there :
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #15
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceparn
It's really interesting how your geography dictates what wheelin' means to you. I live in Illinois which means MUD. Others on here who live in say Colorado it means rock crawling. One thing is for sure Wranglers rules both worlds. It's really surprising what mods work well for both and for different reasons. Most of you rock crawlers don't know how bad ESP sucks for the mud. And I'm sure there is a lot to crawling I don't know. I've never needed to disco for instance. Hopefully I'll get a chance to drive out west some day and play on the rocks, if I can find someone who knows what they are doing to come along. I'm really jealous of the guys who get to do both where they live
So, what's wheelin' to you?
If you live in Quincy, you have a lot more options than mud, all you have to do is drive over to MO and there are several offroad parks that feature rock crawling. Flat Nasty, Hanibal Rocks, Rockport, then if you journey over to the Badlands in IN there is a little bit of eveything. Check out midwestjeepthing.com and sija.org for more info.

FWIW, I wouldn't say wranglers rule both worlds, they may be capable if built correctly, but they've had problems following me a few times The correct statement, would be Jeeps rule both worlds

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.