whats your favorite hard alcohol - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > whats your favorite hard alcohol

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #76
silbotta

Grappa

10char

silbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #77
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus3 View Post
just tell me what your favorite hard alcohol is, whenever i go to the liquor store i never know what to buy give me some ideas
Patron Silver or 151 of course

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #78
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtank99 View Post
I can never go wrong with some Sailor Jerry's...

...for some instant rock-star status.
Now, don't get me wrong I love Sailor Jerry, but last time I had it I think I hugged a toilet for approximately an hour and a half and I had to be carried home. It was mostly because I drank too much, too fast on an empty stomach and I was already dehydrated before I started drinking. It was unpleasant to say the least.
Timothy_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #79
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

I drink this on the rocks usually, good stuff. Even better than the original spiced rum IMHO.

Makes really good gin & tonics. The martini's? Not so much I must be mixing too strong or something.

Good stuff good stuff good stuff.

Hey sparkchaser, I noticed you like martini's too. How the heck do you make a martini with Bombay and keep it from being so strong? Mine always taste so bad I can't drink them and I end up dumping them out Maybe I'm just not a gin guy. But my vodka martini's are always pretty good.
TheDustMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #80
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sailor Jerry is good stuff and blows pretty much everything at that price point out of the water.
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #81
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleTheBlade View Post
Hey sparkchaser, I noticed you like martini's too. How the heck do you make a martini with Bombay and keep it from being so strong? Mine always taste so bad I can't drink them and I end up dumping them out Maybe I'm just not a gin guy. But my vodka martini's are always pretty good.
You could make them old style and do the 1/3 dry vermouth, 2/3 gin. I love my martinis extra dry, Churchill style.
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #82
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
Sailor Jerry is good stuff and blows pretty much everything at that price point out of the water.
I've been wanting to try some Sailor Jerry. Definitely have to get me some when I go grocery shopping again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
You could make them old style and do the 1/3 dry vermouth, 2/3 gin. I love my martinis extra dry, Churchill style.
I've tried quite a few different ways, everything from rinsing the ice in an ounce of extra dry vermouth, straining it, then stirring it with the gin and straining it into a glass and that was awful I've even tried 50/50 gin and vermouth and still no go. The martini's that Friday's makes are pretty good. They use Grey Goose though so they're not a "true" martini but still totally drinkable.
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #83
gregs887
Up your butt Jobu

1995 ZJ 

A good (emphasis on good) tequila
gregs887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #84
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleTheBlade View Post
I've tried quite a few different ways, everything from rinsing the ice in an ounce of extra dry vermouth, straining it, then stirring it with the gin and straining it into a glass and that was awful I've even tried 50/50 gin and vermouth and still no go. The martini's that Friday's makes are pretty good. They use Grey Goose though so they're not a "true" martini but still totally drinkable.
You could also get a gin that is light on the juniper. Hendricks and Plymouth are light on the juniper although Plymouth is a bit on the sweet side.
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #85
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Jack D, Goldschlager, Rumple, Jeremiah Weed Sweet Tea Vodka, or Captain 100
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #86
TheDustMan
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
You could also get a gin that is light on the juniper. Hendricks and Plymouth are light on the juniper although Plymouth is a bit on the sweet side.
Sweet is good. I live in a podunk crap town and we only have one liquor store and its owned by a grocery store chain so it pretty much sucks. I can't find anything but the typical stuff there. I just need to find a good gin for making martini's. I would drink more of them then and stop nursing the fiance's wine coolers for my quick fix
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #87
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

Jim Beam and Captain Morgan are about the only liquors i'll drink.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #88
4LarXedo4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Diesel 190 proof. lot of people don't know of it cause its banned in a few states
4LarXedo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #89
gmm141
1985 CJ7 

Perfect Martini

My compliments to SparkChaser, that is a man that know his gins...

Any of the gins that he suggested are excellent choices. For my tastes, I prefer Bombay Saphire, I think it makes solid martini. Hold off on the small batch gins until you have your mix down. Wasting them is a sin of the first degree.

I have found that the secret to a perfect martini is cracked ice. Use an ice bag or a (clean) dish towel and smack the crap out of it with a BFH or a more kitchen-appropriate tool (big frying pan works well). Open the towel and scoop up all the small shards with your shaker. You should nearly fill it.

Then top off with you gin of chioce. I skip the vermouth in the shaker. Shake well, let sit for a minute or so and pour into a pre-chilled glass.

I keep my vermouth in a little spritzer bottle, one shot into the glass before I pour. Purists (including my parents) think I am overdoing it with the vermouth. They prefer to glance (just a glance) at the vermouth bottle from accross the room and then pour their martini into their glass. If you stare too long you have to start over. Some suggest that you just whisper the word "vermouth" (not too loud now) over top of the glass before you pour and that is sufficient.

Regardless, the real secret to a good ****tail is actually water. The cracked ice melts faster and provides it. If don't have the patience for cracking the ice and you find that your martini is too strong, don't dump it... Add a little splash of spring water, reshake, and try again. You are not watering down your drink, you are making it the traditional way.

BTW, if you making batch martinis for a party, add 1/4 water to your martini mix and put in the freezer before serving, you will get the same effect.

Everyone's tastes are different and no one is right for you except your own.

Good luck on finding your perfect drink.

Salut!
gmm141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #90
cjapgar

1994 YJ Wrangler 

any whiskey
()_)-()_)--o-)_)

Bacon is meat candy!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
cjapgar is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.