Whats Going on With Nascar? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Whats Going on With Nascar?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Whats Going on With Nascar?

Every race, I see a ton of empty seats in the stands. Is it the economy? Ticket prices too high? Do peole think it sucks that bad? How on earth do they continue to pay the drivers and crewmembers as much as they do with attendance like this??

montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Go price Tickets ! I have not been able to afford decent seats for the past few years so I just watch on TV now

I've been to Speedweek and the Daytona 500 , Plenty of Dover races, and Texas Motor Speedway races. I want to goto a race in Vegas but I can not afford Hotel, Tickets, Food ect ........
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
SirGCal

There are very few tracks that come close to selling out. They already have dropped the price a ton (check historical prices). I also used to go a lot more but don't anymore due to economy. However they do have budget seats at most tracks but some do still sellout or close. But they are rarer now-a-days.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by montero1 View Post
How on earth do they continue to pay the drivers and crewmembers as much as they do with attendance like this??
Ticket revenue has nothing to do with race team revenue. Race teams pay an entry fee for each car to race. Ticket sales benefit the track and IMHO the prices are much to expensive.
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Greydawg
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Don't worry, the geniuses at Nascar have a solution; remove a bunch of the cheap seating.
For example, Daytona is going from 146,000 seats to 101,000. About a dozen other tracks are also considering downsizing.
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe people are finally starting to realize that they've just been watching cars make left turns this whole time.

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobly_Goob View Post
Maybe people are finally starting to realize that they've just been watching cars make left turns this whole time.
I'm still waiting for F1, rally cross, and races like the TT to become more popular here in America.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

There is alot more to it than just ticket prices. I'm an old school fan but I don't watch it much now. I don't like the COT, 1 body for all makes just doesn't make it interesting anymore. I miss the old days of Rusty Wallace complaining about the Chevys, or Dale Sr. griping about the Fords. I don't like that the drivers can't speak their minds without getting a fine/penalty. The France familys changing rules whenever a popular driver gets in trouble.
Too many races on the schedule as well. The chase hasn't worked out as well as they hoped too. Ect.......

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #9
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

maybe if they changed the rules it would be more entertaining , as of now i cant tell the difference between the cars

what are the differences btw ? , dist location and firing order ? seem pretty lame because they are all so similar

Quote:
Another Yunick improvisation was getting around the regulations specifying a maximum size for the fuel tank, by using 11-foot (3 meter) coils of 2-inch (5-centimeter) diameter tubing for the fuel line to add about 5 gallons (19 liters) to the car's fuel capacity.
Once, NASCAR officials came up with a list of nine items for Yunick to fix before the car would be allowed on the track. The suspicious NASCAR officials had removed the tank for inspection. Yunick started the car with no gas tank and said "Better make it ten," and drove it back to the pits.

Yunick also used such innovations as offset chassis, raised floors, roof spoilers, nitrous oxide injection, and other modifications often within the letter of the rule-book, if not the spirit. "All those other guys were cheatin' 10 times worse than us," Yunick wrote in his autobiography, "so it was just self-defense." Yunick's success was also due to his expertise in the aerodynamics of racing cars.
if they could do this stuff again , lol
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #10
bhikku
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobly_Goob View Post
This lol, they gave up waiting for a right turn.
Utah Jeep Crew #152
US Navy 04-08
bhikku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've been a Nascar fan since the 80's but can still only speculate about things like this.

Economy - It definitely took it's toll. I don't have numbers but the turn around was very extreme between the 2008 and 2009 seasons when the economy went south. It was plainly obvious looking at the seats on TV.

Product - Frankly it's pretty lame. Points racing, follow the leader, 500 mile races with only 100 miles of actual racing, no more good ol boys, the playoffs(i.e. chase), cars all the same (no brand identification) etc etc. Now some of these are new, some have always been there but either way there is more of this crap than there used to be. Not helping draw in new fans as older ones naturally move on to other interest. IMO, Nascar made some bad choices including trying to make stock car racing something for the masses (Everyone remember the Canada and Mexico races they've been trying to shove down our throats?). The masses aren't coming and the rednecks are leaving.

Personally I'd rather watch the trucks race. They take some handling out of it, add some bangin, shorten the race so there isn't so much follow the leader, etc, etc.

I had a brain storm a year or two ago the coincided with the all star race. They need to take some of the cookie cutter mile and 1/2 tracks and get back to the roots on some of em. Go back to heat races, B mains, A mains, etc. Toss qualifying out the window. Not all races but a handful or two. Sure it will tear up more equipment because the amount of racing would quadruple and the owners would hate it. That is until those races became the most watch events on TV and fans actually came back. Then they'll love it.
L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by relgnarw View Post
There is alot more to it than just ticket prices. I'm an old school fan but I don't watch it much now. I don't like the COT, 1 body for all makes just doesn't make it interesting anymore. I miss the old days of Rusty Wallace complaining about the Chevys, or Dale Sr. griping about the Fords. I don't like that the drivers can't speak their minds without getting a fine/penalty. The France familys changing rules whenever a popular driver gets in trouble.
Too many races on the schedule as well. The chase hasn't worked out as well as they hoped too. Ect.......
This is what happens when you stop watching. The CoT has been gone. So has the loss of car identity... Well more on that in a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny View Post
I've been a Nascar fan since the 80's but can still only speculate about things like this.

Economy - It definitely took it's toll. I don't have numbers but the turn around was very extreme between the 2008 and 2009 seasons when the economy went south. It was plainly obvious looking at the seats on TV.

Product - Frankly it's pretty lame. Points racing, follow the leader, 500 mile races with only 100 miles of actual racing, no more good ol boys, the playoffs(i.e. chase), cars all the same (no brand identification) etc etc. Now some of these are new, some have always been there but either way there is more of this crap than there used to be. Not helping draw in new fans as older ones naturally move on to other interest. IMO, Nascar made some bad choices including trying to make stock car racing something for the masses (Everyone remember the Canada and Mexico races they've been trying to shove down our throats?). The masses aren't coming and the rednecks are leaving.

Personally I'd rather watch the trucks race. They take some handling out of it, add some bangin, shorten the race so there isn't so much follow the leader, etc, etc.

I had a brain storm a year or two ago the coincided with the all star race. They need to take some of the cookie cutter mile and 1/2 tracks and get back to the roots on some of em. Go back to heat races, B mains, A mains, etc. Toss qualifying out the window. Not all races but a handful or two. Sure it will tear up more equipment because the amount of racing would quadruple and the owners would hate it. That is until those races became the most watch events on TV and fans actually came back. Then they'll love it.
Well 'have at it boys' is back.. has been for two seasons. There have been serious fights, on and off the track, battles and rivalries, etc. Old-school war is back. Even good-old-boys like Gordon got into the middle of it.

Cars have definite brand identification now. Even the Fords have an actual grill (that keeps coming off the first few races, caused a few issues). But the cookie-cutter car is no more. Nore is the matching bumpers and train-drafting. Bump someone and you will lift their rear. Daytona/Talladega have been quite interesting when drivers forget not to lock up.

I agree the 'chase is crap. Needs to go away. So do the auto-lockin spots and manufacturer's spots. Qualify or don't race, period. OR I agree, heats again like the small tracks. Hell ya!

Still the CoT was crap. Bad idea. They ditched it. Kudos. So were the handcuffed rules for everything. Now they go at it. As long as they don't endanger someone (driver, spectator, etc.) they pretty much get free run. Almost scary actually. Ironically, drivers I didn't like before have matured and are being very nice now and some other mature drivers are losing their minds at times... Quite interesting.

Drivers are speaking their minds as long as they don't diss the sport itself somehow. But they are talking a lot of smack about each other and manufacturers. It's interesting all over again.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
I'm still waiting for F1...to become more popular here in America.
NJ 2014 if we're lucky. I'm stoked about Austin, all the drivers love the track b/c it has elevation changes. But the pinnacle of motorsports demands the pinnacle of ticket prices *sigh*.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
PM Thor
Super Duper Guy

Location: Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour
Believe me when I tell you, NASCAR team are NOT hurting for money. Sponsors are throwing just tons and tons at them for the visibility. The ticket prices are pretty high, but just do what I do....

Get hot pit passes for the Brickyard...

Unread 07-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I've driven by quite a few of the nascar shops in Mooresville where I live now. They aren't anywhere close to hurting for money.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.