whats the better deal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > whats the better deal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
mudgrip

whats the better deal

I am currently in the market for a jeep.(I am buying one SOON)

my options are 1987 yj front and rear rebuilt
trans rebuilt (auto)
rebuilt motor 4.0 re-sleeved to OEM spec
body in perfect condition
cost 7,000.00

1997 2.5 cylinder 110,000 miles
5-speed Manuel
body great condition
5 matching after market rims and new tires
cost 5,000.00

whats the better deal HELP

mudgrip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

$7k seems mighty high for an old YJ. I'd worry about who did all the "rebuilding" on it. More potential for failure if it wasn't properly rebuilt. $5k for the TJ seems fair but it's a 4 banger with a 110k. Short of passing on both of them I'd say the TJ.
Unread 01-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
ReconBen
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursandal View Post
$7k seems mighty high for an old YJ. I'd worry about who did all the "rebuilding" on it. More potential for failure if it wasn't properly rebuilt. $5k for the TJ seems fair but it's a 4 banger with a 110k. Short of passing on both of them I'd say the TJ.
agreed, get the TJ and put that extra 2k towards a new engine. unless your not planning on driving on the freeway much.
ReconBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Neither, wait for a newer 4.0 6 cylinder. The 87 will be a 4.2 and carbureted. A 91 and newer will have a 4.0 and fuel injection. The TJ while nice will leave you wishing you had a 6 cylinder.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Go for the TJ. I bought mine for the same price with an engine rebuild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out www.blackhillsjeeps.com!
Black Hills TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
mudgrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmymanYJ View Post
agreed, get the TJ and put that extra 2k towards a new engine. unless your not planning on driving on the freeway much.
I have considered the new engine
i have about 7500 to spend after the purchase of the tj can i convert to the 6 or should i get a beefed up four I am no mechanic but u have seen adds for a stroker 6 and a 4 with mods tell me I dont have a clue.I plan to use this jeep to access muddy job sites as I am in construction.If I like the jeep addiction,and I'm sure I will get hooked the end game is a new Rubicon.I figured I would start out used before i dropped 27k just to make sure
Unread 01-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would just wait, get a nice stock YJ with a 4.0, then use the money left over for a lift and tires and all the other goodies.
Unread 01-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
mudgrip

i can tell this forum is going to be very helpful How is the 4 cylinder off road I am familiar with the 6 -and can the 4 be beefed up I am impressed with the set up on that jeep despite the motor ( rhino floor and flares,sony sound bar diff bumpers blue paint basically just how I would do it minus the motor
Unread 01-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Hurley91

I would pass on both, $7k seems way to much for an 87 and I wouldn't get the 2.5L. The 2.5 is good on the trails and city, but once you get up in speed it is useless. Just wait it out for a 4.0.
Unread 01-31-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have any problems with my 2.5 L, but it's all stock. I imagine when you start putting bigger tires on it, it won't be too happy.

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
_Kevin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a 2.5 and have no problems. I paid about that for mine (Traded 1,400 and a 96 Explorer XLT with 148k), and it was at 124k when I got it and felt like I was stealing it from the guy. As long as you do basic maintenance the engine will last longer than you will You can turbo it, go with a bigger throttle body, and regear. For the turbo though, you'll need to have the whole fuel system reworked iirc. If you're mechanically gifted it isn't a problem and is relatively cheap, if not then you'll need to find someone who is, and that's where it gets expensive. The throttle body I haven't done (yet), but if you upgrade it and then go with a decent CAI then supposedly there's a few HP difference which can help when you don't have much HP to begin with. If you regear to like 4.88 with the TB and CAI then it supposedly isn't too bad with like 33s (What I'm planning to do).

You could also take that 2k and put it in the bank, then save up a bit more. The biggest performance mod for an I4 is to add 4 cylinders . Check out www.auto-part.com for a local junkyard that has a Chevy LM7 which is a 5.3 that you can find in an Avalanche, Sierra, Silverado, or Suburban. The ECU/PCM for these engines is customizable, so you'll just need to have it reprogrammed to work with a manual trans. You'll also need to upgrade your trans to an AX-15 and your rear axle to a D44 for a Ford Explorer's Ford 8.8 (which would probably be cheaper).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine#LM7

[QUOTE=JeepinSurprise;10042634]Did you really think you were getting a cushy/dry ride when you bought a vehicle with DRAINS on the inside?!?![/QUOTE]

Last edited by _Kevin; 01-31-2010 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine#LM7
_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.