What's the best vehicle to get rear ended in? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > What's the best vehicle to get rear ended in?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 08-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #31
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0IIIIIII0 View Post
Padded dashes, seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, safety glass, ABS...

Sent from my TJ
Hey that stuff made us soft!
I grew up with good STEEL dashboards, tempered(NOT laminated) windshields and no such things as seatbelts and I survived. We went cross country 3 times in a car, once through death valley in July NO A/C! Cars were made of real steel and the only thing that crumpled was the trees as you plowed through them. Bias ply tires that when you had a blowout..THEY BLEW OUT!!
I got my kicks on rt 66 when every motel had some hook to get you like teepeee rooms or big balls of string. Stuckeys gave away peanut brittle with each 10 gals of gas. Gas stations had attendants that checked your oil (that came in cans or if it was a real old place a glass bottle filled from a drum)and tire pressure and carried a little squirt bottle and a rag to clean your windows.

The greatest generation ruined us all by designing this mamby pamby keeping everyone alive technology

vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #32
bercherker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

J20 with a Pintle hitch. Kills radiators dead..
bercherker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #33
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I've been in a couple of serious rear end collisions. One was a '66 Impala that was hit at 65 mph by a Nissan pick up. That impact compressed the entire rear of the vehicle to the rear window. Another was in a Chevy Beretta hit by a '72 Chrysler at 45 mph. The newer one survived far better. The newer vehicles are far safer with the crumple zones, air bags etc. They do what they are designed to do, which is to save lives. My son had a '82 Volvo 240, aka "the Brick". At the time he bought it in 2001, there were no fatalities in this vehicle ever in the U.S.. Volvo was big on safety apparently. My son and his fiance' were rear ended by a Chevy Trailblazer at 45 mph. There was glass everywhere and the Volvo's spare tire was visible from the outside due to all the twisted metal. They walked away without a scratch. The Volvo did its job well.
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #34
64pete
1967 CJ5 

'04 Silverado 2500HD. Regular cab,8' bed. Tractor trailer in front of me stopped, I stopped, guy coming up the on ramp in an FL-70 Freightliner service truck didn't stop till he hit me. Got a concussion, bruises, and a few stiches above my left eye where the airbag blew my glasses into my forehead. Don't remember the accident, 2 hours before or 4 hours after. I basically walked away. The wheels, tires, and rear view mirror were all that was salvageable. The button for the 4-ways was under the gauge cluster. The stake pocket at the middle of the bed was the same height as the roof, and the frame was touching the ground on the left side under the cab.

Last edited by 64pete; 08-23-2013 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: spelling
64pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #35
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Glad you survived. That's sounds scary!

10 more MPH on the FL-70's part and you'd be wearing your glasses on the back of your skull.
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #36
whorunit1475

Law suite!
whorunit1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #37
wtfcrunch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dodge Ram single cab long bed.

Rear ended twice and was still a tank after.

wtfcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.