JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   What's the best vehicle to get rear ended in? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/whats-best-vehicle-get-rear-ended-1560720/)

televisionary 08-11-2013 08:14 AM

What's the best vehicle to get rear ended in?

I was recently rear ended by a truck in my Jeep. My Jeep survived - I was able to drive away after the accident. The truck however, had to be towed away. I thought that was odd considering my Wrangler is significantly smaller than the truck that hit me. Anyways, it was unnerving because there is not that much room between where you sit and the back of a Jeep, if you know what I mean. After the accident, I could've reached back and touched the front of the pickup it was so close.

Made me think of getting an old K5 Blazer or something. I dunno, now I'm paranoid at every stop light, thinking it's gonna happen again.

BeachinXJ 08-11-2013 08:41 AM

There is a lot less on the rear of a vehicle to break than the front - that's why demolition derby vehicles go in reverse most of the time.

There is no good vehicle other than a tank.

Red93yj 08-11-2013 09:44 AM

F-550 with a steel utility bed.

Budke 08-11-2013 10:06 AM

Semi truck with a trailer.

swirve 08-11-2013 10:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 656069

The Marauder. The one on the left.

06philaTJ 08-11-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by televisionary (Post 15781181)
I was recently rear ended by a truck in my Jeep. My Jeep survived - I was able to drive away after the accident. The truck however, had to be towed away.

Made me think of getting an old K5 Blazer or something. I dunno, now I'm paranoid at every stop light, thinking it's gonna happen again.

You were able to drive home after a substantial rear-end collision in a SWB wrangler with I'm guessing a full-size pickup. Sounds like it was a pretty solid vehicle to me.

BTW, an old K5 is actually less safe than a modern SUV in a substantial front, side, or rear-end collision. Modern vehicles have crumple zones designed to absorb crash energy forces plus have front and side air bags. If you want safe, buy a newer truck or SUV.

swirve 08-11-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06philaTJ

You were able to drive home after a substantial rear-end collision in a SWB wrangler with I'm guessing a full-size pickup. Sounds like it was a pretty solid vehicle to me.

BTW, an old K5 is actually less safe than a modern SUV in a substantial front, side, or rear-end collision. Modern vehicles have crumple zones designed to absorb crash energy forces plus have front and side air bags. If you want safe, buy a newer truck or SUV.

Oh man, i love the people who claim" they dont make cars like they used too, those things could really take a hit!" Aaand thats why yer walking in circles due to your gimp.

0IIIIIII0 08-11-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06philaTJ

Not to mention the propensity to be impaled on the steering column...

My best advice is to do what I was taught in drivers Ed... Watch the rear view until there are 3 or 4 cars behind you to act as "barrels". Leave enough room in front of you to "escape" someone that isn't stopping. Also, pump your brake pedal to flash lights at cars that aren't stopping.

It's save my bacon a number of times when I've noticed people behind me not paying attention.

A lot of that comes from riding a motorcycle though where I was taught to ride like everyone is actively TRYING to kill you.

Sent from my TJ

2010Rubicon 08-11-2013 11:22 AM

Sometimes towing is required for minor damage. Many years ago I was in a collision with a vehicle that had damage to its muffler. A spot weld had broken free, leaving the muffler hanging at one end. The driver of that vehicle walked to a nearby 7 11 store thinking she could buy some wire, tie up the free end of the muffler, and make the vehicle driveable. Alas, 7 11 had no wire for sale, just string. The driver had no choice but to have her vehicle towed.

I know exactly how you feel about the rear end collision. Several years ago I was in a 4 cylinder car waiting for a red light to change to green when a distracted driver slammed into the rear of my vehicle and totaled it. Gettng past the experience and paranoia took a while. I had to stop thinking the same thing would happen again while waiting for a light to change. If I was in your place, I would keep driving the same vehicle. In fact, you should be more concerned about a side hit and tip over due to the high center of gravity, which is common with SUVs.

Last night I was in a minor driver side front end collision. Several years had passed since the accident with the rear end collision. One constantly has to be on guard in a big city with busy intersections. It was unclear who was at fault in this latest incident since both I and the other driver claimed we had a green light. At least no citations were issued and no one was inured, but this affair will be expensive. I feel depressed over this entire matter.

flyfisher12 08-11-2013 11:34 AM

You must have some really long arms to be able to reach back and touch the truck that hit you :)

Being somewhat paranoid comes with the territory after an accident. jeeps from the front and back are pretty safe vehicles and from the side, while not the best, they are not horrible either.

The advice presented above is good as i always keep a distance ahead of me when stopped to be able to move out of the way should i need to, and i have a few times which saved me, the idiot who was going to hit me and probably the person in front of me a lot of headaches in teh long run.

tjkj2002 08-11-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swirve (Post 15781666)
Oh man, i love the people who claim" they dont make cars like they used too, those things could really take a hit!" Aaand thats why yer walking in circles due to your gimp.

Old your dead,new your going to feel it the next morning but live.

Burlbook48 08-11-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budke (Post 15781530)
Semi truck with a trailer.

Wrong. Semi truck with TWO trailers. More wiggle room before the force reaches the cab. :thumbsup:

That's my regular night shift job. I fear nothing behind me but a cement truck. Even then, he loses.... big time. :laugh:

Anytimeanytrail 08-11-2013 08:40 PM

Ford Pinto... :duhrock: :fear:

Budke 08-11-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burlbook48 (Post 15783264)
Wrong. Semi truck with TWO trailers. More wiggle room before the force reaches the cab. :thumbsup:

That's my regular night shift job. I fear nothing behind me but a cement truck. Even then, he loses.... big time. :laugh:

I've changed my mind. If I were to be in a rear end collision, I'd rather be in this...

http://goodheartextremescience.files...dump-truck.jpg

terrasmak 08-12-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkj2002 (Post 15782721)
Old your dead,new your going to feel it the next morning but live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzCO4MV1ttw

The old car is a rust bucket held together with bondo. Look at the rust dust fly in the impact

The time now is 06:09 PM.