What are you feeding your dogs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > What are you feeding your dogs?

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was wondering what kind of food you all feed your trusty companions. I have two personal Shepard mutts who aren't much more than 60lbs soaking wet and a foster pittie. My girlfriend and I have been feeding them Ol 'Roy from Wally world(we rescued and placed a large amount of dogs over the last year and the 50lb bags are hard to say no to) but my girlfriend saw a post on Facebook about how someone(friend of a friend. I know) lost her two dogs while they were eating it. Specific, "Ol Roy" caused this.

Now I love all of these dogs a great deal and I don't want anything to happen to them. My female already needs hip replacement surgery and I want to see them all live long and healthy.

At this point in time I can't afford the steep blue buffalo price. Maybe Nutro Max or similarly priced food. I've seen Taste Of The Wild is recommended and Costco supposedly carried the generic version(have no real idea at this point). I was considering Iams but have been told by SunDevilJeeper it's not very good either. He mentioned a raw diet and I'm considering it too. Looking for suggestions or experiences. Thanks.

image-584453064.jpg   image-1435469761.jpg   image-1240327285.jpg   image-2451505601.jpg  
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:28 AM   #2
curbcrawler
1946 CJ2A 

My Doberman wouldn't gain weight and didn't seem interested in eating as a pup. we tried the expensive stuff along with others and finally settled on Purina one chicken n rice. She's 11yrs old now and looks great and eats great. plenty of energy for an old dog.
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A good diet is really the best thing you can do for your pet, so I don't mind the cost. My Alaskan malamute gets Taste of the Wild and he's in great shape at almost 11 years old. Good eyes, teeth, coat, no joint problems, etc. Yeah, it's about $50 for a 30 lb bag but it lasts a little over a month and is high density so it only takes 4-5 cups per day to satiate his appetite. I get it from a mom and pop store that gives a free bag for every 12 you buy, so I get one free bag a year.

Some other premium brands (no corn, bi-products, mill runs, etc): Acana, Applaws, Artemis, Avoderm, Blue Buffalo, By Nature, California Naturals, Canidae, Castor and Pollux, Chicken Soup, Earthborn, Fromm, Go!, Halo, Holistque Selects, Innova, Instinct, Natural Balance, Nature’s Variety, Now!, Organix, Orijen, Merrick/Whole Earth Farms/BG, Pinnacle, Solid Gold, Timberwolf, Wellness, Ziwi Peak

Iams is pretty middle of the road. It has some corn (non-digestable) and other fillers and low quality ingredients. Other 'meh' brands: Eagle Pack, Bil Jac, Eukanuba, Nature’s Recipe, Nutro, Royal Canin, Science Diet - Nature’s Best, Purina Pro Plan - Pro Plan Selects, Wysong

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
LikeMike
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I started feeding my dogs playful life and decided to give them something better, they would not eat it. My dogs will now only eat playful life, I know it's not the best but one of my dogs is extremely fit and the other is getting fat. One is pit/German shep and the other is shep/Akita/rott
image-2508807334.jpg   image-1609626880.jpg  
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used to feed my pug pedigree adult dog food then decided to try that blue buffalo stuff. It was pricey, but he was getting old, he was probably about 15 when we put him on it. After he ate that bag I put some of the pedigree that was left over in the bowl, and he went and sniffed it and walked away. He would not eat it. So after that, all he ate was the blue buffalo. He wasn't in the best of health when we switched him over, so we kept spoiling him with the expensive food. He lived another good 2 years after that until he was just too old and the cancer he had was getting too bad.
Next dog I get, thats the food I will be starting him off with blue buffalo or another type of food like that. No more of that big brand garbage.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 03:49 AM   #6
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't usually like pugs much, but yours was pretty darn cute, Burke.

I'm pretty fussy about what I'll feed my pack and I've researched the crap out of the subject, so for them it's Taste of the Wild, all the way.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
LikeMike
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree, your pug was extremely cute.

Last edited by LikeMike; 01-24-2013 at 04:21 AM..
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #8
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

We have 2 Golden Retreivers & Currently feed Iams Large Breed Adult,,Before the economy went to crap We were feeding Eukanuba Large Breed Adult.
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #9
ozjeep
2011 JK Wrangler 

Sammy eats premium edge. It's a little pricey, but since she came from a back yard breeder I want her to last as long as possible.

image-1637773381.jpg

Sam is on the right.
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was surprised to find out that food like Iams, Nutro, Eukanuba and Science Diet are extremely low quality foods (1 star out of 6). Here's a web site that's very useful for researching dog foods:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

It should be noted that you will need to reduce the amount of food you are feeding your dog when you change to a higher quality food because it's more nutritious and doesn't contain a bunch of fillers and other crud your dog doesn't need.

Also, a higher quality food will cost you a bit more but there's a very good chance it will help your dog live a longer life and reduce (or eliminate) medical expenses from issues caused by cheap dog foods.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
DucST4

1984 CJ7 

Hiccup started out on Purina Puppy Chow and then moved to Purina adult food. My vet, who sells Iams and Science Diet, told me to go to Tractor Suppy and try their 4-Health dog food. He's a big bird hunter and has a kennel full of pointers and a few labs. He told me they eat less and they don't poop near as much. I switched to 4-Health back in November and he really seemds to like it. I can't verify the amount of poop, but Hiccup really likes it and he does eat a little less.
img_0945-2-1024x847-.jpg   img_1070-3-1011x1024-.jpg  
DucST4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
DJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had my pitbull on taste of the wild up until last spring/summer when they had their recall for salmonella contamination... And realized I had a HALF FULL bag that met the batch numbers for the recall.
Luckily no worries, and it's blue buffalo ALL THE WAY!
She's still happy & healthy.
image-1304113931.jpg  
DJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Good stuff guys and great looking dogs. Also agreed, the pug is adorable.

It's interesting to hear the different stories. I had a Dalmatian that lived to be 14-15 until her hips went south and we fed her kibbles and bits and pedigree and a variety of other stuff because she was so picky.

My girlfriend also had to put her 16 year old boxer mix down and she was on Nutro max weight control.

And my aunt has an 11 mutt that's been on ol Roy it's entire life and she's still like a puppy.

I'll definitely look into the taste of the wild. Maybe, I'll try to get a Costco bag to compare.
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
ajmorell

We feed our 2 labs Blue Buffalo Large Breed Chicken & Rice. We fed the older one Iam's Naturals and then Nature's Recipe and she did ok on them, but we noticed a huge difference when we started her on BB. Big jump in energy, joints didn't seem to stiffen up as much, her coat improved 10x over and her ears cleaned up a lot (we used to have to clean them out once a week or so). They both get 2 cups/day and a 30lb ($50) lasts us about 3 weeks.

http://bluebuffalo.com/dog-food/lp-l...ken&animal=dog
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

This will help

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.