What tools for a workshop? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > What tools for a workshop?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

What tools for a workshop?

Hi all-

When I bought my Jeep 2 years ago, I didn't even know how to change my own oil. I've been slowly learning as I go thanks to friends/ this forum. The most complicated installs I've done to date are 2.5" lift kit and a lunchbox locker install, plus other simpler stuff.

At this point, I'd like to take it to the next level. Looking through voodoojk's build, it gives me ideas. I have a 1.5 bay garage, and my short term (4 month) goals are: Front bumper, rear bumper with swingout tire carrier, tube fenders (maybe?).

My question to you fine folks is, what tools will I need? I understand that these are not projects to take lightly, and I'd rather buy the tools first before starting the job than starting something and then having to stop because I can't afford the tools required to finish it. I currently have an assortment of smaller hand tools like screwdrivers, wrenches and drills, but I'm gonna need much more.

My current tool buy list is:
-Lincoln weldpak 180 (I'm most familier with mig welding)
-60 gal air compressor
-1/2" impact gun
-Angle die grinder
-Sawzall
-Dremel
-Angle grinder
-BFH
-Floor jack
-1/2" torque wrench
-breaker bar
-workbench w/vise
-1/2" ratchet w/ socket set, imperial/metric + extenders

What else am I going to need to cut and weld metal? Also, is it worth it picking up a tube/pipe bender? As I said before, I understand these aren't jobs to be undertaken lightly, but I have the drive/want to do it. Just need input on how to do it right

Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
Cause
WHAT !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybomber View Post
Hi all-

What else am I going to need to cut and weld metal? Also, is it worth it picking up a tube/pipe bender? As I said before, I understand these aren't jobs to be undertaken lightly, but I have the drive/want to do it. Just need input on how to do it right
A couple of 'come a longs'
Welder, wire feed or stick
Fire estingusher
GOOD jack stands
Floor Jack, two would be better
Creeper
Trouble light
Pickel Fork
Long breakover bar or a length of pipe as cheater bar
Band saw would be nice
Bearing press
Brake tools
Parts cleaning pan or tub

Insurarnce
Gasoline and matches (for when you've had enough)
Firstaid kit

Tube pipe bender not a good investment for little use it will get, have that done.
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
pushead

Its never ending. You will get into a job and almost without fail need a longer pair of pliers, screw driver or different something than you have. I can fully understand why garages have the wall size tool boxes now. I have two large boxes a peg board full and a few shelves of tools and still have to buy something every now and then.
Unread 08-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Usually what I do is run into a job that requires a special tool which I don't have then figure out some other way to get it done without said tool. After that I buy that tool and never need it again.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
HubDeepDriver

First you must understand that tools are like guns and money. You cannot have to many/much of any of them. My personal policy is that if I needed it once, I'll probably need it again, so I keep an eye out for it on sale.

If you have space for a band saw and bearing press you are doing better than I.

Workbenches and vises are pricey and rarely break or wear out. Check Craigslist for those items.

Also a company called Rockler woodworking supply offers a moduler system of workbench framing, ( You choose your size ) made of nice heavy guage steel that you bolt together and supply your own top for. I have one and like it well.
HubDeepDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

If your going to have a bench with a vise mounted then having a bench mounted grinder (grinding wheel and wire wheel) is good to have. Buy a roll around tool chest to store all the tools your going to amass so they are not laying around on the bench. See my sig.
Unread 08-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Pick project. Plan project. Start project. Buy tool. Complete project. Repeat.
Unread 08-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

The beer fridge is the most important tool I own,other than that i have tool i lend out more than I use,like my ball joint press its nice to have when I need it but I have only used it a few times in the years I have owned it.
Unread 08-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Build your own work bench... do it right and it'll be the best one you ever have. I don't like working on things without a suitable sturdy place to do it.

1 - 4x8 sheet 3/4" thick (or something close to it) plywood NOT osb - home depot will rip it to two 2x8 sheets for free
5 or 6, maybe 7 - 2"x4"x8' studs - 4 for the length, the rest to cap the ends and brace in the middle (cut to 21.5" for ends to maintain 2' width for bench)
4"x4"x12' cut to 4 legs at whatever height you need for them
a couple pounds of 2.5" coarse drywall screws and a handfull of 1.5" drywall screws

I build the short ends first, then screw on the front and then back long 2x4's. Once it's a skeleton I stand it up, put in the braces front to back, and put on the top (two layers of plywood), and the bottom shelf gets whatever scrap plywood I have sitting around. I got fancy on the one in the pic and jigsaw'd out the leg holes for the bottom shelf. I was building two at that time (when the pic was taken) for a jeep parts barter I worked out with a friend who needed some workbenches, so it just took another cheaper.. maybe 3/8 plywood sheet split for the bottom shelf between the two of them. When connecting all this I use two drills (by the way, a good half inch drill motor and bit set is essential in my tool collection), one to predrill so the 2x4 doesn't split - the other with a bit holder and fresh bit for putting in screws. I'm big on overkill so I put three screws through the 2x4s into the 4x4 legs, then two from 2x4 to 2x4 wherever they meet.

As far as other things for a garage and projects - an acetylene torch has come in handy plenty of times. I also have a nice bench vice, a collection of 5" to 7" c-clamps, a bench top drill press, extension cords (and a couple splitters to keep down spagetti tangles), punches, prybars, a creeper, a wheeled stool, work lights (on a stand and separate halogen types), led headlamp, and all the sockets, wrenches, and screwdrivers I've been accumulating. There's more specialized stuff most can do without.. like a sandblaster or paint sprayer.. just depends on how bad you catch the bug. A pair of steady sawhorses come in handy too, just try not to catch them on fire.

The work bench design can be modified to make a shelf strong enough to hold the entire tool collection if you feel the need.
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Don't forget the eye protection, that you will need, for the welding and grinding .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks all for the replies. At this point I have pretty much nothing in the way of serious tools, though I did pick up a sawzall and a drill over the weekend. I took shadownpa's advice and build a workbench. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. I scored a couple tool chests at a local yard sale, and I finally bought my welder. The hope for this weekend is to either get started on a bumper, or build a roof hoist to get some more space in the garage. Question I have for you fine folks- who still makes good power tools in the USA? I'd really prefer to buy American. If not possible, then I'll buy a good tool provided it's not made in China.
img_20140818_201409_0531_zps74118b78.jpg  
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #12
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good, not as overkilled as mine but it'll work.
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #13
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If your going to be cutting metal I'd add a decent metal chop saw to that list.
Yeah you can do it with your sawz all but the chop saw is much easier and quicker. A metal band saw is also nice for metal cutting but probably not necessary.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
Tollster
1980 CJ5 

Drill press is invaluable in the shop... dull bits...no problem.
Tollster is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

A big sink.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.