what kind of gps to buy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > what kind of gps to buy

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
rubicon35
2004 TJ Wrangler 

what kind of gps to buy

Ive been wanting to buy a gps for the Jeep for awhile and I played with the girl friends dads over the weekend and decided I really want one now. Ive used a tomtom when i rented a car but didnt really like it. He had a garvin unit??? I think was the name brand and it seemed to be really easy to use but then again maybe not so many features. Id like it to work for me offroad too like set cordinates and such but for onroad as well. anybody have one that they really like??? im going to look into it tonight but thought id let you guys tell me about yours! also would like it to be small so it can be locked up in console when im not driving. Thanks

rubicon35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
lobukjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My wife has a Garmin 530 street pilot.It works great but i have no idea about offroad.My buddy has the real pricey model.Car/motorcycle waterproof all that jazz,about a $1000 dollar unit.He loves it.
Unread 06-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
lostissues
1987 MJ Comanche 

I had the Garmin Street Pilot 340, worked great for on road but was a little bulky. I just upgraded to a Nuvi 260 wide (260 and 260 wide have all the features you need like text to speech and none of the blue-tooth super fancy things that would be a waste of money for someone like me) it has features that make it easier to scroll around and look at the map. another thing that it has is the ability to save where you are or point to a place on a map and save it as a favorite. I plan on marking trail openings and where they emerge back onto the road. it wouldn't be ideal if you want to mark out the whole trail though. I did notice one of the higher up nuvi models I think it was a 700 series, it has a route/trip planner. now i have not been able to try out this feature but you may be able to start a route at the beginning of a trail and end the route at the end of the trail.

plus if you get a nuvi you can set your car icon to be this:

among others (http://www8.garmin.com/vehicles/bund...lvehicles.html)

Hope this helps you,
Jonathan
lostissues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
SirGCal

The Garmin 60CSx is still my favorite pick for functionality and portability.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
mytjtoy
CJ--my drug of choice!

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
The Garmin 60CSx is still my favorite pick for functionality and portability.

HANDS down--no doubt about it--all the way---nothing better--->I love mine!

The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
mytjtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
default_user
It's a Roobicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytjtoy View Post
HANDS down--no doubt about it--all the way---nothing better--->I love mine!
x3
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

x4 on the Garmin GPS60CSx as I am running too. Many GPS products are great for the road but few have the offroad features you need like the GPS60CSx has. Definitely not the StreetPilot nor the Nuvi products made by Garmin which are pretty much devoid of any offroad features. It's real hard to beat the 60CSx for offroad though its non touch-screen interface is a little clumsier for entering addresses than the slick touch-screen interfaces of the Nuvi and StreetPilot products from Garmin. Having owned a number of GPS receivers including Magellan, Garmin really seems to have the market sewn up due to their really good user interfaces. I did not like my Magellan at all and their latest offerings seem to be just as crude when compared to the Garmin line.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Lancerkath
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I use a Garmin Legend CSx, it's a little less accurate and a little smaller than the 60, but it has all the same features and runs cheaper. It is a little smaller than the 60. The accuracy is still good, it just doesn't like the trees as well as the 60. I like it for its portability because I use it a lot for geocaching.
Unread 06-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a big fan of my Garmin GPSmaps 76CSx. I have had it for about 2 years. Very portable. Water resistant too. Perfect for the Jeep, street & trail.
Unread 06-28-2008, 12:27 AM   #10
spacemonkymafia
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just got the Garmin nuvi 260w and I'm liking it so far. Haven't had the opportunity to go for a drive anywhere I didn't already know how to get to, so the directions have been useless... but correct!

I'm looking forward to using it for my trip to Colorado next week though. And I've been wanting to do some caching, so it should be pretty awesome for that.
Red Jeep #480
Colorado Jeeper #137 (not that I get to play there anymore)
spacemonkymafia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2008, 12:39 AM   #11
kenj44
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Go Garmin!

I've owned a few GPS's--handhelds and automotive. It's discouraging that no one seems willing to build a great auto-type unit that performs like a handheld. My current handheld is a Garmin Vista eTrex. I was looking to upgrade and strongly considering a Garmin GPS60CSx. My research resulted in the purchase of the newer Garmin Colorado 400t unit. You may want to additionally look into that unit.
kenj44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.