What does your Jeep mean to you? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 35 Old 03-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Tollster
1980 CJ5 

It means owning a Legend, keeping the classic line but making it mine, connecting with people who have owned and lived the Jeep experience, soldiers, ranchers, and four wheelers, past present and future, its staying out of town, and going further when the pavement ends and flipping the windshield down, pretty sure it means even more to my dog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 Old 03-22-2015, 07:27 PM
95ZeeJay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

it's cheaper than therapy

52 Willys CJ3a: stock-ish (his)**95 ZJ Laredo 4.0: removable doors, longarm, 8.8 rear, leaks, squeaks, dents, dings, etc (ours)**05 LJ Rubicon: Longarm, bumper, winch, underbelly skids
post #18 of 35 Old 03-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Harriedtwo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I started out with a '64 Ford Fairlane going off-road. This was back in the early '70's just after I got out of the Army. I drove the Ford until it fell apart, then drove a Plymouth but stayed on-road (most of the time). I've been camping since the early '50's, and I still enjoy it. However my body hasn't enjoyed the "getting old" part as well. My Dodge Quadcab 4x4 is great, but it's a long bed so on many roads I touch front and rear bumpers -even though the truck bed is 36" from the ground. With my wife's approval, I purchased a 2000 WJ, which I thought was a good buy. Then I found I needed to do a lot of work! Front end, rear end, engine, CAT's, O2 sensors, etc. However, it didn't ride very well (my wife kept getting sea sick) despite a lot of new parts. Then she bought a '14 GC Limited which works so much better than the WJ. Since the pinon gears were trying to leave, the engine had 175K and leaked, we decided to get a newer Jeep.

Now I have a 2011 JK Unlimited 4-door Rubicon; this really goes off-road so I don't get stuck in the sand, on the rocks or in the snow. The fuel mileage is good compared to other vehicles and I can go geocaching and fishing into the high country with no problems. Great way to spend my inheritance so my kids won't get it! I really enjoy the 4x4 club and getting out when the weather is nice. I figure this is the last vehicle I'll buy, so I got as much as I could with the money my wife allowed me to spend (note: a 2012 JKU was priced $7,000 more than my Rubi, which meant it was way over my budget).

For me: Jeeping and 4x4 go together like fun and sun.

Harried Harry
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.
Wife: 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited
post #19 of 35 Old 03-23-2015, 08:01 AM
wdw
2010 JK Wrangler 

Not one thing. It has not been moved in 3 months.

2010 Black JK 2 Door Sport.
post #20 of 35 Old 03-26-2015, 01:35 AM
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

A pain in my ***, mostly because it's a 91 and there are a few things on the 91s that make them a real *****. Seriously considering getting rid of the damn thing for another 92+ YJ.

1991 YJ: Daily Driver
1992 YJ: Pile of crap sitting in the garage.
post #21 of 35 Old 03-28-2015, 12:15 AM
torchd
2003 WJ 

Not a damn thing! Its a POS PITA lately

Ready to burn this biatch to the ground

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
2" BB Pucks | SkyJacker Hydro Shocks | Rubicon Wheels | Cooper 245/75/16 Tires

2002 Trans Am
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ
post #22 of 35 Old 03-28-2015, 09:28 AM
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

It means 23 years of family history that looks better than most new cars

- HM1(SW/AW)Ret USN Dec 23,1992 to Dec 31, 2012

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
post #23 of 35 Old 03-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
To me it's a tool. My friends and family think I love my jeep because of how much time I spend reading about jeeps, learning about mine, talking about it with anybody who will hold a conversation, ect, but if I love it, it's like loving a favorite wrench or TV. When my XJ burned, my daughter cried because she loved the jeep and the memories and knew we wouldn't be able to make more memories. I told her we could make more memories, but it would be in a different vehicle. I didn't cry and cracked jokes with the responding officer and firemen (do I need to call them firepeople?). That really surprised my wife who thought I was more emotionally attached to it.

Nobody was hurt and I'll save that kind of emotion for losing somebody really close to like my wonderful wife or fantastic children. Hopefully I never do.

'03 TJ Rubicon
'16 KL Latitude
'91 Cherokee Laredo, Stock - Sold
'98 XJ - burned :(
post #24 of 35 Old 07-29-2016, 01:20 AM
1951civilian

To me my Willys Civilian Jeep has served humans for 65 years with only one engine and drivetrain rebuild done at the same time. It has seen farmwork, mud, trees, bunker silos (compressed chopped hay or corn stored for feed), trees, and a blue body and red rim paint job. Going to replace the braking system, no brakes, and hopefully get a new carb, starter, and alternator. I don't know why it gets so hot because there is enough antifreeze and air flow but otherwise is should be around for the next 100 years. It is my baby 🚼 and my personal ♿
post #25 of 35 Old 07-29-2016, 02:15 AM
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
To me it's a tool. My friends and family think I love my jeep because of how much time I spend reading about jeeps, learning about mine, talking about it with anybody who will hold a conversation, ect, but if I love it, it's like loving a favorite wrench or TV. When my XJ burned, my daughter cried because she loved the jeep and the memories and knew we wouldn't be able to make more memories. I told her we could make more memories, but it would be in a different vehicle. I didn't cry and cracked jokes with the responding officer and firemen (do I need to call them firepeople?). That really surprised my wife who thought I was more emotionally attached to it.

Nobody was hurt and I'll save that kind of emotion for losing somebody really close to like my wonderful wife or fantastic children. Hopefully I never do.
What caused it?
post #26 of 35 Old 07-29-2016, 02:17 AM
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

My jeep means nothing to me. Haven't drove it in almost 2 months since I bought a "new" car. Only thing I did was unlock the doorto get a tool out of it. Would I sell it? No, I could never sell it.
post #27 of 35 Old 07-29-2016, 07:40 AM
Indy

Let's see.
My first wrangler (YJ) meant I could get decent ground clearance and a short enough footprint to navigate my hunting trails with minimal damage. It also meant the ride quality sucked on road, the lack of cruise control in winter meant I had to choose between turning my right foot into charred carnage or have no heat at all. No AC, non-funtional vents etc.

My first WJ meant I had leather heated seats and a vehicle that looked good enough to take care of clients and still have 4wd.

My first Willys cj5 meant I could plow my driveway.

I'm in the market for a beater tj now that will mean I don't care if I get a bunch of beach sand inside.

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #28 of 35 Old 07-29-2016, 09:39 AM
player1up
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm fairly new to the Jeep scene ( 3 months ) but I'm already realizing that ownership is a life changing event. The people are the best part! At least one friend of mine has had one since I was 16 but most of my off roading has been in swamp buggies in S FL.

I've spent the last 15 yrs or so with my previous "mistress" ( as the wife called it ). My 73 Duster. It started life as a slant 6 - 904 gold duster and over the years it saw about half of the sheet metal replaced, 2 drive line swaps, paint, interior, new suspension ( twice ) and countless repairs. It ended up with a MPFI 360, A/C, with 17's on all 4's. Daily driven the entire time...except for the weekends when the work was done.

As fast and fun as that car was, it was time for a change ( getting REALLY tired of replacement part rarity and cost ).

Driving the jeep is remarkably slow in comparison, but relaxing and care free. Although the muscle car crowd has chilled out a bit over the last 5-10 yrs as cars get more rare ( Ford, Chevy, Mopar guys coming together ) , Jeep folks are, for the most part, genuinely good people.

I do understand that I'm still going to mod and tinker and drop money on the jeep, but at the end of the day, I KNOW I'm not going to get the stink eye from a jeep owner that has a jeep sitting on 37's when I pull up in my stock TJ ( whereas I have gotten the "what the crap are you doing parking that Duster next to my 70 Challenger" look at a car show )

So I guess for me my Jeep means: Change, Relaxation, and freedom from all of the BS.
post #29 of 35 Old 07-29-2016, 06:55 PM
Domengo

Reading through these posts is entertaining. I keep laughing at the extremes of opinions. Some guys love their Jeep and write a charming little paragraph about it. Other guys spews pure hatred and frustration in less than 10 words. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in life, or how and why you invest your time as you do, be it for pragmatism or sentimentality... It also sucks when your car is a money pit.

For me, I like having projects. Few things are more satisfying than seeing something come together and knowing that it was your ability, persistence, and hard work that made it happen. I also like to fix things, I like to solve problems. While a lot of people would prefer to watch a movie, or even just have a beer with some friends, my idea of entertainment is working with my hands, staying active, finding things to keep my mind occupied and to sharpen my skills. In the past 2 years, my career has taken off, and I have come full circle from having to scrounge pennies and do every bit of work for myself, to having the extra money and free time to splurge, waste my time as I see fit. I have always thought that the Cherokee XJ was a really cool, fun-looking car, and I while I was unable to afford more than a practical economy car for years, I still admired the XJ and wanted one.

So I guess what my Jeep means to me, is success, moving onto a new phase, learning to relax and allow myself to enjoy life.
post #30 of 35 Old 07-30-2016, 10:54 PM
Harriedtwo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Domengo, you made a very astute observation. One thing I've noticed is whether we love them or hate them, we still have them to drive or yell at. Last week I took my Rubicon off road with two of my sons. I took a wrong turn (1/10 mile shy of the correct turn-off) and ended up on a VERY rough trail called the Hopping Jalapeno. The ride down wasn't too bad, but I couldn't climb the 6' wall in the canyon to get out, so I had to back down the canyon 1/4 mile before I could turn around. By the time we got back to "decent" trail, it was three hours later, but I only drove 3 miles. My kids enjoyed it, but they think I've lost my marbles. My wife is VERY upset since I took her children into a "dangerous" situation without backup. The joy I'm having is worth all the challenges of driving -and damaging -a Jeep which isn't yet paid off. At my age, I could kick the bucket anytime, but I'm trying to have a little fun. All my vehicles are now 4x4; I sure wish I could have afforded a 4x4 back when I got out of the Army.

Harried Harry
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.
Wife: 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.