What do you think? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > What do you think?

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-15-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
JeepCrazy2288

What do you think?

HAVE YOU EVER

Have you ever heard a bird
The sound of its mating chirp,
Or the soft gently sound
Of a waterfall’s burp.

Have you ever seen a leaf
Fall towards the ground,
Or been in the depths of a reef
Where there isn’t a sound?

Have you ever seen the sky
Filled with white fluffy clouds,
Or heard the cry
of newly born birds?

Have you ever felt the rain
Beat on your face,
Or been on a plane
Flying through space?

Have you ever felt the breeze
Of the cold winter air,
Or the snow freeze
As it frosts your hair?

Have you ever built a snowman
Out of newly fallen snow,
Or watched the snow glisten
On an evergreen row?

Have your ever danced when it rained
With the person you love,
Or listened to thunder
As it crackled from above?

Have you ever been so determined
That nothing else mattered,
Or been so discouraged
Your whole world shattered?

Have you ever laughed so hard
That you couldn’t breath,
Or for hours on end cried
hurting with just grief?

Have you ever been kissed
By your lifelong crush,
Or felt like you missed
On love blinded by lust?

Have you ever tasted something so sweet
That is tasted sweeter than honey,
Or felt something so great
It couldn’t be bought with money?

If you’ve never experienced
Any of this bliss,
You can never imagine
Just how much that has been missed.

I'm writing this poem...hoping to get a $5,000 scholarship for college? What do you think?

BLUE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #92

97' Jeep Cherokee Sport in Baby Blue. Over 300,000 miles!
CHECK THE RIDE I USED TO HAVE! [url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/756593[/url]
JeepCrazy2288 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF
Web Wheeler

Truthfully its a little generic..... I like the Idea but you are going about it just the same way that most 17 year old girls would go about it......

As a writer the only thing that you have to offer to the world is creativity. You have to be original if you want to stand out..... Rhyming is over-rated...

I can tell you were working from the heart and that is the whole key, But you need to not worry about what other people are going to think... It seems like there are times when you add words that don't need to be there just so you can keep the flow of the rhyme.....

My idea would be try writing more from your heart, If you want to write something then write it, DON'T stop your flow in order to find a word that rhymes, DON'T add words in order to keep a sing-song feeling..

If you write it without so much Rhyme then you get to be alot more free with your feelings and writing..... Rhyming will only hold you back and will never improve the quality of your poem...

My best advice would be try to forget everything you were taught in High-school about "how" to write....and just let it flow for a few pages....
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
JeepCrazy2288

New peom

How's this one any better? Still kept with the rhyming.

A DAUGHTER'S REQUEST

I’m ready to fly, ready to break free,
Although you may cry, it’s the way it must be.
I need to explore, so please let me flee,
I need to be able to sore, don’t you agree?
I’m ready to see new lands, let me strive,
The wheels in my hands, I’m ready to drive.
I’m your baby girl, your little sweetie,
But just give this a whirl, I’m still your baby.
I’ll make you so proud, just let me take the dive,
I’ll stand out of the crowd, I want to feel alive.
I know I took you by surprise, I knew I would,
You could see by my eyes, this wouldn’t be good.
I know you’re upset, but you saw this day in sight,
Things you’ve taught me I’ll never forget, you know you’ve raised me right.
So this is my plea, my last request,
I wish to be free, will you let me out of the nest?

Last edited by JeepCrazy2288; 01-15-2006 at 11:15 PM..
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

On the second poem, it seems like you're trying to work loosely with Iambic Pentameter (with some variations of course).

^ = stressed syllable
` = unstressed syllable

^`` ^`` ^`` ^

` ^ ` ` ^ ^ ` ^
I need to explore, let me flee

If you're trying to keep a constant flow (true to the form, that is), try to keep your iambic form, so the flow isn't comprimised...but this also gives "let me flee" more meaning than the rest of the lines just because it's different.

` ^ ` ` ^ ` ^ ` ` ^
I need to explore, so please let me flee
so just let me flee
or just ^ ` ` ^
so let me flee

It's just a simple suggestion, im a junior English major at St. Mary's College of MD, so I'm positively sure that NEWtoTHEjeepLIF has more real world experience than me and has more useful information than I. I'm just writing down what I was thinking while reading...take it as you will!

~J
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
JeepCrazy2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinTJ99
On the second poem, it seems like you're trying to work loosely with Iambic Pentameter (with some variations of course).

^ = stressed syllable
` = unstressed syllable

^`` ^`` ^`` ^

` ^ ` ` ^ ^ ` ^

If you're trying to keep a constant flow (true to the form, that is), try to keep your iambic form, so the flow isn't comprimised...but this also gives "let me flee" more meaning than the rest of the lines just because it's different.

` ^ ` ` ^ ` ^ ` ` ^
so just let me flee
or just ^ ` ` ^
so let me flee

It's just a simple suggestion, im a junior English major at St. Mary's College of MD, so I'm positively sure that NEWtoTHEjeepLIF has more real world experience than me and has more useful information than I. I'm just writing down what I was thinking while reading...take it as you will!

~J

I didn't even noticed the IP at all lol. Wasn't really trying to do that but it makes it seem better. I will fix the Let me flee so it fits the IP.

Unread 01-15-2006, 11:54 PM   #6
Awshux
Cynical Bastard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure you have someone review these for spelling/grammatical/typographical errors before you submit them, or you'll be done before you start. In the first poem: "gently" should be "gentle", "breath" should be "breathe," and "That is tasted sweeter than honey" should be "That it tasted sweeter than honey." In the second poem, "sore" should be "soar."
Unread 01-16-2006, 12:23 AM   #7
Windsor
Mobil 1, not Mobile 1

I have Coldplay's "Speed of Sound" song in my head. Your 2nd poem matches up to it - at least to me. I don't know much about poetry although I should change that as Robert Burns is my great great great..... grand daddy.
Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks and steering stabilizer
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Tuffy glove box, full console
WARN D30 skid & Nth Degree Mobility oil pan skid
WARN front and rear Rock Crawler bumpers, winch plate and grill guard
WARN 9.5ti winch w/ Optima Blue Top D34M - X-Line rope & fairlead
KC Daylighter Slimlights on windshield
IPF H4 w/ FatBoy bulbs
Windsor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinTJ99

^ = stressed syllable
` = unstressed syllable

^`` ^`` ^`` ^

` ^ ` ` ^ ^ ` ^

` ^ ` ` ^ ` ^ ` ` ^
so just let me flee
or just ^ ` ` ^
so let me flee

~J
I would have to agree with what he said..... When it comes to Rhymes in Poetry there are alot of rules to follow to make sure that you don't come off corny. Ther are many good books on simple stuff like "how to write poems" and "how to understand what rhyming pattern to use" and often just reading poetry that you like will help.
One idea is to read poems that you really really like, and try to decide what it is that you like about them. I bet it will be the feeling and the flow of the poem rather that the actually words that are used. IMHO a good poem will flow off the tounge like a Song. Now this does not mean that it has to rhyme like a song or follow the pattern of a song, it shoud just be easy like a song. You shouldn't have to break your thought or cadence while reading it.
Often when working with rhymes you (anyone not just you) will stretch the phrase to make it rhyme or shorten it to make it fit... This breaks the flow of the poem, which is the most important part IMHO.....
There is one reason that I don't write poems even though I spend hours aday writting, It is because they are HARD! I don't like to write them becasue I have to think tooo much..
Everyone who has feelings thinks they are a poet at some time or another, the key is to be able to make the reader feel the same way that you do about a particular thing (whatever that may be......)
Good luck and like I said before (oh wait I didn't say it but meant to) Keep your head up. Writing is the hardest job in the world and it only gets harder..... For every piece of work you do that is accepted there will be 20 that get rejected. Keep writing cause its what you like to do and you will succeed!
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.