What do you "Carry" when wheeling in the middle of nowhere? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > What do you "Carry" when wheeling in the middle of nowhere?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 02-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #46
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM
Yeah... and all the Moose's are extinct over here, too.
(along with the Grizzley bear... but that was Grizzley Adams fault!)

WoRM
Case and point.

atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #47
OhioYJ

Quote:
damn a lot of you carry guns. note to self: do't ever mess with rednecks in the woods
Yeah before I posted a similar question on another board, I didn't even ever think about taking my gun with me. But after asking this question on another board, it was like half the board that carried. Out in the middle of no-where, not everyone is friendly, or stopping to help, not to mention you never know what kind of wildlife you'll come across.

I really need to get my concealed carry license this year. On the road most of the time I try and keep the gun and ammo sepearate, but on the trail its locked and loaded at all times, permits or not. I'm just carrying a small 9MM though, nothing crazy like you guys carrying a .460!
95 YJ: SOA, locked 44, locked 8.8, 37s, beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/aboutmel.html]My Build-Up Post[/URL] -- [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/kbl.html]SWB FAQ[/URL] -- Mike
OhioYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #48
flinch
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I feel sorry for those in Canada and in states that have lost there rights to self defense. If i lived there i would be a law breaker for sure. I consider a firearm to be much like a fire extingusher. Hope i never need it, but i damn sure have one just in case.
Why so many mags full of ammo? Why not? Would you carry a fire extigusher half full? I hope not. Bad guys carry more than 10 rounds. Shouldnt a law abiding citizen have the right to be just as well armed as those who would do you harm?

Remember folks, if it has ever happened once, it can happen again. An unloaded gun is worthless and could very well end up stolen along with your jeep, or your food, water, wife and kids. Why give someone else the choice if you live or die?
The liberal sheeple can push this political correctness and make up names all they want, redneck, paranoid gun nut, it doesnt bother me. Who will they ask for help when ***** hits the fan? Anyone better prepared then themselves.
I would recomend everyone have a ccw and carry a handgun in a cross draw type holster that can be drawn easily from a seated position. Just my 2 cents.
flinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #49
ovrlnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinch
I feel sorry for those in Canada and in states that have lost there rights to self defense. If i lived there i would be a law breaker for sure. I consider a firearm to be much like a fire extingusher. Hope i never need it, but i damn sure have one just in case.
Why so many mags full of ammo? Why not? Would you carry a fire extigusher half full? I hope not. Bad guys carry more than 10 rounds. Shouldnt a law abiding citizen have the right to be just as well armed as those who would do you harm?

Remember folks, if it has ever happened once, it can happen again. An unloaded gun is worthless and could very well end up stolen along with your jeep, or your food, water, wife and kids. Why give someone else the choice if you live or die?
The liberal sheeple can push this political correctness and make up names all they want, redneck, paranoid gun nut, it doesnt bother me. Who will they ask for help when ***** hits the fan? Anyone better prepared then themselves.
I would recomend everyone have a ccw and carry a handgun in a cross draw type holster that can be drawn easily from a seated position. Just my 2 cents.
I agree with exception of a cross draw style holster. sure the scenarios vary and this is not carved in stone, however from a standing confrontation a hip holster is much better than a cross draw. for 5 years shot pistol events that required frequent drawing from holsters. many times on narrower obsticles I would miss quite frequently using a cross draw. One of the vets gave me a pointer. when acquiring a bead on a target such as a person your zone is drastically reduced because of the swinging motion across the mass of the target. he helped me with drawing from a hip up and down draw, which increased the aquireable target mass by using the height of the person. he also explained that though cross draws are cooler you increase the amount of motion required to draw the weapon. you have to move up, pull and then travel back to front. on a hip style you use one up-sweeping motion. after I switched and practiced with him I had improved a ton. like said before this is all situational.

88 YJ, 350/350 Chevy, Twin Stick Dana 300 with JB 32 spline rear output, 6.5" lift, Front Scout II Dana 44 w/Yukon 4340 shafts, trac loc, 4.27's, Warn Premium Hubs, flipped YJ Tie Rod, Ford F150 front calipers, Rear Scout II Dana 44 w/Alloy 4340 shafts, HD RPT retainer plates, 4.27's True trac, Steeltech Disc brakes, Cage upgrade, B&M Prostick Shifter, Custom Fabbed tire, gas, jack carrier, 3/8 angle rear bumper, clevis's all around, old & reliable rep8000 winch. Flood lights. loud stereo. 35x12.50 swampers and a bunch of other stuff
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #50
flinch
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think the most important thing is keeping a defensive mentality.
You may be correct about the cross draw from a standing position, my experience for me, the 3 oclock or 3:30 position is harder to draw from while seated in a vehicle, but a gun on your person is in your control, which is always much better than hidden in the console of your jeep.
Everyone is built differently, there is nothing wrong with finding what works best for you.
flinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #51
hogzilla
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I feel sorry for those in Canada and in states that have lost there rights to self defense. If i lived there i would be a law breaker for sure.
Thank god you don't.

I guess if i lived in the U.S. I would be packing heat too. It seems like you have to. Here in Canada though you have to try pretty hard to find any dangerous scumbags, (except for that pig famer dude who murderded 50 prostitutes)

we just don't have the sheer numbers you guys do.
hogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #52
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzilla
Here in Canada though you have to try pretty hard to find any dangerous scumbags.
You've obviously never seen Trailer Park Boys.
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:12 PM   #53
CunningLinguist

Oman is pretty safe for camping. We only had one experiance with 2 guys coming up to our camp at night asking for beer. They had one AK and a FAL. I just walked away from the camp about 50 meters and watched them talk to my brother through GEN4 nightvision mounted on a M4. We had a few cases with us but they were happy with a 6pack of Coors.

I normally take 1 of the bullpups with me on camping trips. Also the Berreta 92. On long far away trips ill take the GPMG. With the stock folded and barrel taken off it fits into a small M4 bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dope Schemes
By all means enjoy Halo 2.5 but for those with cerebral development beyond that of a spider monkey, pick up Bioshock, you won't regret it.
CunningLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #54
jtpaintball70

I've started to carry a .25 Raven with 2 8rd mags when I wheel in certain spots. Mainly due to the fact that big-*** mountain lions have been spotted and will attack people

NREMT-I/85
89 K1500
jtpaintball70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #55
CunningLinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpaintball70
I've started to carry a .25 Raven with 2 8rd mags when I wheel in certain spots. Mainly due to the fact that big-*** mountain lions have been spotted and will attack people
Freaky. I as in Montezuma, Just north of Las Vegas NM. Near Hermits peak. I cam across mountain lion tracks, was unarmed at the time. Are they pretty common in NM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dope Schemes
By all means enjoy Halo 2.5 but for those with cerebral development beyond that of a spider monkey, pick up Bioshock, you won't regret it.
CunningLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:20 PM   #56
Srhmn8r

Ruger p95

Unread 02-09-2007, 11:22 PM   #57
fundabug

Smith & Wesson Tactical 4013 .40 cal and a Remington Wingmaster 12 guage. Not to mention a collection of blades and one kick arse Kershaw Machette.

2004 Wrangler X 4.0 I6 Solar Yellow

OK, so I messed up the quote in my sig....I was probably on the downhill side of a few beers when I did it......Somebody say something funny so I can get a new one.
fundabug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #58
jtpaintball70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningLinguist
Freaky. I as in Montezuma, Just north of Las Vegas NM. Near Hermits peak. I cam across mountain lion tracks, was unarmed at the time. Are they pretty common in NM?
Not usually down here, but up there, yes. And I'm well aware that a .25 won't do too much, but it makes me feel better till I get my .40 High Point next week

NREMT-I/85
89 K1500
jtpaintball70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:28 PM   #59
War Eagle
BRAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!

Sig P226, a few knives and "Daddy's Little Bush Beater":

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thexonexkid View Post
I was under the assumption that you were Keith?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2007, 11:30 PM   #60
AlTheKillerr

i usually just let this bad boy loose and everyone runs

AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.